id Software purchased by ZeniMax Media

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Keen:Next? A fangame? :confused I only know a Galaxy Level Editor for modding of that name.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

The Keen:Next Galaxy editor was first designed as the editor for the Keen:Next fangame. Speaking of which, yes, now that I remember it, it did look awesome and better, I don't recall if there was a playable demo for it though. Maybe somewhere in the old forum?
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

Z-1 gave up I believe. I don't remember why.

Also I consider "Commander Genius" to be a fan game. That one is really good also.

And when I said about Doom 4 being like Fallout/Oblivion I didn't mean like RPG style. No leveling up and stuff (because that WOULD be lame) but more just like "We are running out of ammunition here on earth and the demons keep coming." It would work very well too because, from what I read, Doom 4 is supposed to be "Hell on Earth 2." And most importantly NO TREE DOG AND GALAXY RAIDO! >:

But that's just my opinion.

To Viking Boy Billy; I know they didn't make those games, yet they did. If someone who is very rich hires a construction company to make a building for them... the person who commissioned it gets the credit, not the builders. Likewise, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, for example, the engine was made by ID Software. They might have hired someone else to help them on the project but I know some at ID also helped directly in the creation of the game. Also the "higher ups" (Like I mentioned before, I don't know names and I don't care.) at ID had to "OK" the game design. (Which is why it had whitches, zombies, the occult and SCREWED up WWII era Strogg type beings.) It's not like they just got someone to make a game for them and approve it without any direction... Also the same goes for Quake 4, ID made the engine and had their people working on it. It even says so in the interviews on the Quake 4 bonus CD...

Think about it this way... Quake 3 was made in house by ID Software... but Return to Castle Wolfenstein had a MUCH higher production value. Levels, sounds, accurate gun models, textures... There probably wasn't enough people or talent at ID to make a game of that caliber. That's why they "contracted" another company to help them make it. ID probably couldn't, or didn't want to support a huge development team all the time, that would just be wasteful. (Something 3D Realms obviously didn't understand.) Likewise for Doom 3 / Quake 4. Doom 3 was GOOD but it didn't have the high quality textures, models, sound and design that were in Quake 4.

That's why ID Software made both Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Quake 4.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Ahh, true, Galaxieretter. You make a good point. :)

I still think it's sad though that they stopped working on games in-house. They did the same with the Myst games, specifically 3 and 4. And to me, id software now only makes a game if it can showcase their new engine, which is where I think they get most of their cash now.

But I guess it's not much different from they did before, Keen WAS made because they wanted to show off the new side scrolling code, which was not featured in a PC game before.
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

Lava89 wrote:, Keen WAS made because they wanted to show off the new side scrolling code, which was not featured in a PC game before.
You know, I've been reading that for years and I never really believed that. I mean we all know Star Goose and that came out in 89'. 88'? I don't know. Either way it scrolled smother than Commander Keen and was made before. (And had better graphics.)
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

The Keen:Next Galaxy editor was first designed as the editor for the Keen:Next fangame. Speaking of which, yes, now that I remember it, it did look awesome and better, I don't recall if there was a playable demo for it though. Maybe somewhere in the old forum?
I think I might have them hidden around somewhere still. Along with the source code and whatnot. Z-1 started to focus his attention on other things, thus the abandonment of Keen:Next. Maybe someone will pick it back up someday...
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Commander Spleen wrote:
I think I might have them hidden around somewhere still. Along with the source code and whatnot. Z-1 started to focus his attention on other things, thus the abandonment of Keen:Next. Maybe someone will pick it back up someday...
Here's a playable demo: http://ckfsc.webnwork.com/filehost/files/ck_v0.3.zip
Iv4n posted this some time ago, but his link is dead by now. The archive includes the allegro dll, so you can just extract it and start the game.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Wow, I'm glad I asked. That looks so friggin awesome, I can't believe my eyes. Anyone in for picking that up?
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Commander Spleen how could he abandon this project? Do you know what is he working on now? I mean abandoning a project without saying anything...

If anyone is interested, I think I'm still keeping the game source and editor on my old pc, but I have to check out.
Sslaxx
Grunt

Post by Sslaxx »

Iv4n wrote:Commander Spleen how could he abandon this project? Do you know what is he working on now? I mean abandoning a project without saying anything...

If anyone is interested, I think I'm still keeping the game source and editor on my old pc, but I have to check out.
The usual stuff I'd imagine. Loss of interest, changes in priorities, that kind of thing.

If you do have the source code, do you know what the license was for it?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

This is what I found in the CK.cpp:

Code: Select all

/*
 * Moddable Game Engine v0.17 - engine for platform games
 *  Copyright (C) 2004 Zoltán Sólyom
 *  This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
 *  it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
 *  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
 *  (at your option) any later version.
 *  This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
 *  but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
 *  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
 *  GNU General Public License for more details.
 *  You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
 *  along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
 *  Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307  USA
 */
This is taken from an archive entitled "CK_2005_dec_24.zip" I don't know for sure if it's the same project, but I think so - it's got the same name for the main datafile as the demo.

You might want to have a look at this Topic, althoug I don't know if the links in there still work correctly: https://pckf.rigeltechnical.com/viewtopic.php?t=368

EDIT: at least the link to the source seems to be still working.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

http://publiccommanderkeenforum.yuku.com/topic/570
That is the original topic.
:lol

I can't look at that "Yuky" anymore. It's making my eyes bug. :eek

Edit: SOURCE!!!1
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

btw K1n9_Duk3, what's happening with your project? I haven't visited the German keen community for loong time.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Man, this is cool. This is what Keen GBC should have looked like. If i recall correctly, there was talk of a "pogo off the wall" feature, is that in this demo?
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

This whole discussion seems to be going off-topic... :dopefish
I haven't done much over the past months. The techdemo I posted in here was version 0.26, now we're working on 0.33.
We've got poles to climb, switches keygems and gemholders that open doors (or do something else). The whole jumping/pogoing code has been rewritten and lots of small bugfixes.

We're currently implementing some Actors (well, the other programmer is doing that...) and I was supposed to finish the worldmap-code. That part is basically working, but needs new Save/Load code and some other changes.

I've been doing things like this in the meantime.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!