oh great he's gone and made another art topic

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Sciz CT
Council Janitor

oh great he's gone and made another art topic

Post by Sciz CT »

Long time members may recall my period a few years back when I'd redraw Keen enemies and whatnot and post them here, which quickly turned into me teaching myself the very basics of Photoshop. These days I'm trying to get the hang of Illustrator instead (for a certain remastering project), so I've spent the last couple days working on this:

ImageImage

No promises of anything more, but I'll gladly take criticism and suggestions for other stuff you'd like to see get the vector treatment.
Marty Chang
Grunt

Post by Marty Chang »

Very ballin' if I do say so myself.
My dad's Asian.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

It's awesome :poison :christmas
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Criticism?!? Men you rock!
DSL
Miragia made me disappear

Post by DSL »

King Slug!! :spot

That's a really nice touch-up you made there.
If you ever master the gradient and mesh tools in Illustrator, you should try to smooth it out some. But those gradient tools are hell to work with in Illustrator. I think Freehand is much better with this.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Wow. :eek It looks awesome. :drool

If you're going to make more, an arachnut would be cool. One of my favourite creatures. ;)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
memsys
Vortininja

Post by memsys »

wow :) i wish i had your skills :drool
(i used to be ME!)
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Wow, nice adaptation from checkerboarding to cel-shading! Very classy stuff once again.

The antenna on the right (slug-left) looks awkward though. Translating it directly from the 16-colour version doesn't seem to have worked properly.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I love it, reminds me much of one of my other favourite games: Worms Armageddon. This looks just like the graphics there.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Qamel
Grunt

Post by Qamel »

Man, nice work. Looks great, I always wondered what higher res images of some Keen graphics would look like.
...Soon...
Sciz CT
Council Janitor

Post by Sciz CT »

Hey, comments. Thanks guys, it's the feedback that makes the time worth it.
DSL wrote:If you ever master the gradient and mesh tools in Illustrator, you should try to smooth it out some. But those gradient tools are hell to work with in Illustrator. I think Freehand is much better with this.
I might play around with gradients, but for the most part I don't think they'd fit in with the cartoonish, hand-drawn style the series is based on. Might try manually adding some in-between shades for future ones. For King Slug, I just wanted to make sure I had a good grasp on the drawing tools. Probably shouldn't have picked one of the largest objects in the series to start with, though. ;p
KeenRush wrote:If you're going to make more, an arachnut would be cool. One of my favourite creatures. ;)
Ah, one of my favorite designs as well. Not sure that I could do the eyes justice though, and I'm hesitant to do anything else with stalks that lean towards the camera after struggling so much with King Slug's antennae.
Commander Spleen wrote:The antenna on the right (slug-left) looks awkward though. Translating it directly from the 16-colour version doesn't seem to have worked properly.
I know, that one gave me fits. Both of them took far longer than any other given area of a similar size, and I reworked the shading on that one a couple of times just to get it looking decent. I'm pretty happy with the sprite overall, but that's at the top of the list of things I'll tweak if I ever revisit it.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Sciz CT wrote:Might try manually adding some in-between shades for future ones
That would be much better than gradients, IMKO. Maybe you could try brightening up the darkest grey a bit, or altering the second darkest so it blends them better.
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

long live the slug!!! very kewl dude
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I like that you used so few colors
I wouldn't use too many colors shadings, I fear it won't look like the original anymore.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Indeed, I don't think it needs any more shades.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.