How to post a New Mod

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Slayterdawg
Vortininja

How to post a New Mod

Post by Slayterdawg »

I have just completed my first Mod
Aqua Keen : Beneath the Blue
Episode 1 : Red Tide
How do I upload?
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

There are several ways - it's really up to you.

If you have your own server space then put it there, otherwise you can use a free service like DropBox, just make sure you upload the zipped files into the public section: https://www.dropbox.com/

There are other members who mirror mods on their own servers - they will probably do so for your mod too.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Slayterdawg
Vortininja

New Mod: Aqua Keen

Post by Slayterdawg »

DAWG's first MOD is available for download at
https://www.dropbox.com/s/msjjgz99c1hhq ... %20Keen.7z

Send feedback if you wish. New adventures await!!
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

I request screenshots.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Not bad for a first mod. The graphics look simple but clean and the monsters animate nicely. I also like that it has music.

However the block behaviour is a bit strange with some blocks only blocking one side (the anemonie-like red things), and the blocks with the gray/red/green dot in the middle also feel a bit strange at first. Also I wasn't able to complete level 1 since the exit seems to hang in the air as it has only fall through blocks underneath.

Either I'm stupid or this needs some bugfixing, but good work overall!
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

I would pretty much concur with Tulip in that this is an intruiging piece of work, no doubt about it! I like the colour scheme and I REALLY like the garg-crabs!!!!! The other sprites are pretty good too. The tileinfo is a bit irritating, especially the fall-through blocks that Tulip referred to! I definitely don't see the logic behind those black blocks in the level 7 position, why some of them are fall-through and others not.

The levels are mostly based on the original Keen1 levels, you should experiment with creating some de-novo levels. The level editing software, both old and new, is extremely easy to use! On the eastern side of the map, the teleporter level does have quite a bit of LHS in it, be mindful that too many minutes of long featureless corridors will discourage a player from completing a level!

The music sounds good, even if I heard some strains of 'Dream On' (known to many as Sing For The Moment) and other fairly recognisable songs. Sure there's no harm in that though apart from the meticulous attitude to copyright on which the Keen community has long-prided itself!

All in all this could perhaps do with some further work. I would ideally like in a mod to have all traces of original graphics replaced (eg your map graphics) but not everyone would share this aesthetic. Keep up the modding, you clearly have some good ideas to bring to the modding world!
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Is this vorticon or galaxy?
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Scarlet wrote:Is this vorticon or galaxy?
Looks to be Keen1, Galaxy. Kidding! Vorticon!
Good stuff, DAWG! Nice artwork! I noticed your sprites do not have a black border around them. Unique!
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Hagel
Vortininja

Post by Hagel »

Nice work, in a way it reminded me of Xcom Terror From The Deep. Especially the fact that you have to explore some levels in uncommon ways is great and i like the artwork as well as the music.

I haven´t played much yet but it was kinda irritating to find all the necessary items in the Pyramid level (some of them more than once). Did you do that on purpose? It wasted lots of the exploring,

best wishes, Hagel
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Welcome to the forums :)

Really love the atmosphere and color choices. The tile design, while simple, has a really classic feel to it that I enjoy. Really like your sprite designs, the garg/crab is awesome.

My primary criticisms echo Tulip and Benvolio; The tile design and properties aren't really intuitive and creates gameplay that's more frustrating than fun. The tiles with the green/red/grey dots in the middle being a good example. Creating blocks that are visually similar with different properties can be good for puzzles, but more visual distinction is needed, in my opinion.

I haven't played too many of the levels, but I definitely encourage you to create your own from scratch in the future. I can tell just from the few I've seen edited that you have a knack for utilizing tile diversity and scenery for visually appealing levels.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Hah, a mod proclaiming that the end of the world will come on 21.12.2012 and a flood will arise.

Anyway, cool mod, good music, but it could differentiate more from Keen 1, especially in level design. Graphic-wise looks like a mixture of Dr. Riptide and Jill of the Jungle. The music is similar tp Blakestone and such.

What annoys me are some platforms which cannot be differentiated from whether been solid or not. That and levels being only slightly redesigned original ones make the mod so-so of what otherwise could have been an awesome and exciting mod.
Slayterdawg
Vortininja

Post by Slayterdawg »

Thanks everyone for your inputs.
Red Tide was meant to be a learning experience.
I love the saying, "Don't believe everything you think."
So I made it the motto of Aqua Keen.

I meant for blocks to have different characteristics
to create a puzzle effect. Different dots mean different things.
Solving the dots in level 1 helps to figure out other levels.

Mods to me, don't necessarily mean re-creation. Simply change.
Alot of levels are changes. A few levels are totally new. Some are easy, some I think are hard.

I wanted the game to be alittle different. Our hero is here at home.
Fighting possible plaques, solving today's mysteries and preventing the
upcoming doomsday.

I'll consider the inputs in the upcoming sequels.

DAWG
Hagel
Vortininja

Post by Hagel »

Hej Dawg, am I right to suppose that you try to finish your Trillogy until 12/21/12? :christmas
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Figuring out the behavior of the colored dot blocks wasn't my big complain. Actually, when I found the exit in the first level, that blew my mind! That was unexpected and cleverly designed. But later on, there were some other fake solid tiles that didn't differentiate a single pixel - that was not ok for me. It might be ok if it was once or if the whole mod was meant to be something a la Picasso meets Salvador Dali, where almost every tile acts unpredictably or weird, but it's not.

Anyway, good luck with your next mods.
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

It didn't work. Do I need to log in or something?