The Garg's Mod Maze is back in Keeniverse!

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

The Garg's Mod Maze is back in Keeniverse!

Post by KeenRush »

I've patiently waited till the local date is Keen Day to announce my new Keen site, Keeniverse.net! Here it is: http://www.keeniverse.net/ I'm not very happy with the design but I couldn't do any better, and I'll try to make a new one at some point. The important thing is the functionaly and content, right now. (:o And to note, it still misses some of the newest mods, and I haven't added any levels or other stuff yet...)

The big change at TGMM is that it has a tag browsing system. The tags are stored in a cookie, and one may add (green plus) or remove (purple cross) tags, and only the mods that have all of these tags are shown. Alternatively user may click single tags to see mods with those tags and keep adding the new tags that are found that way to the tag cookie. Anyways, I'm getting garged now! :garg I'm sick of explaining, it's not difficult to use, just try it...

My mods are here: http://www.keeniverse.net/m.php?t=Author%3A+KeenRush (This means A New Dope is available again, in case you haven't played it yet. :disguised)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

You're mod page has to load more 200 images. That ain't fun!

And I'm disappointed that the site misses almost all mods of the last three (?!) years.
Aaaah, not the bees!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

It doesn't have to load all the pictures at once unless you choose to view all the mods at once...

Yes, yes, as said, I haven't added the new ones (other than few) yet. But just to say, I don't think there's much more than five missing, there just hasn't been that many released lately... Few small mods, Alien versus Keen... And I don't think it's the last three years. :)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

Well that's the best way to find some new mods.
Aaaah, not the bees!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

True, even if the mods aren't in the order they were released (but hopefully not too far off, either). Maybe I should add some way to list the more recent ones... At least for the next design. :tired
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

Or you could tag mods by title and put them in a big list so that nobody has to load all those images in order to find a mod they were looking for. Saves your webspace and our loading time.
Aaaah, not the bees!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I'll make it so that one can list them with just titles and no pictures.
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

Cool. :)

The tag thing is an interesting addition. Could be quite helpful...
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

Looks good! I really like the screenshots you have for the mods - did you take them all yourself? Do you mind if they also get used on the KeenWiki? Do you have a method to link directly to a particular mod? (again, thinking of linking to each mod from the wiki.) I'm guessing that's what the "search by ID" feature is for, so long as the IDs don't change!

One suggestion I have is that the screenshots take up a lot of vertical space when you only have one per line. It would be nice if as many as possible sat side by side, depending on the visitor's screen resolution. I've got some HTML/CSS code that might help here, if you run into trouble.

Oh, and the download link is a bit hard to see - putting some sort of icon next to it might help there.

That is a really good resource though - excellent job!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Cheers! Yeah, I've taken all the screenshots on my own, and, this is what I always note, if you see similar shots somewhere on xtra's site that's because he once asked me if he could use my shots and I gave him permission. Yeah, you can use them in KeenWiki. And as for links, yeah, the mod IDs never change.

I might try that reducing vertical space stuff, but can't promise. In a way I like them more when they're not side by side.

Yeah, I'll probably add either icon or different colour or something to the download link.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Nice design, KeenRush! Right away I downloaded A New Dope 8) and then I remembered suddenly that I had made a couple of small levels with the A New Dope tileset. I think they're kind of interesting, definitely challenging (maybe 'obnoxiously hard' is the correct term). Here.

Heh, according to the file stamps, this was all back in last June. Doesn't seem like that long.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Thanks, and cool, some dope levels here! :rasta Like them a lot, too bad there's only two! Interesting way to mix the themes. Very nice, can't remember seeing many Keen 1-3 engine levels by you (remember this is just my memory, there may well be those). And I know I'm in rust, but what the garg should I do in the second level? I can't get anywhere in it!
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Hmm, I made a level for the Keen 2 level competition, and a Keen 3 level a long time ago that's on Beyond the Pogo. I don't think I ever finished and uploaded any other levels for Keens 1-3. I'm not sure why, I just didn't. They're fun to make, I should do this some more in the future. I've been in a bit of a 'modding utilities mode' for the past year or so. I might take a break and make some levels instead. 8)

In that second level - are you past the ridiculous jump over the fire things right above where you start? I don't even know why I made those so hard, I'm trying again now and I can't do it.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Ah, yeah, now I remember those.

And nope, could only get past that one orb, but not jump over those three, either hit the ceiling or if got past that then the jump fell short... So I lost my nerves and used the LSR cheat and got past that, otherwise it's a nice level.
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

PCKF Archive - The Keen Community's Past (and Present) | grandy02.shikadi.net