Bananasauros

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Bananasauros

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

One of my dreams have come true. I finally made a video game about a dinosaur shaped like a banana. And it happens to be a Keen 1 mod :)

link
EDIT: v1.1 download

Now I can start going to bed early again :tired
Last edited by VikingBoyBilly on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:36, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

Wow that was quick - it's been what, not even half a year? Off to play this right now, impressions coming soonish. I've always wanted to see a dinosaur keen mod, and the whole graphics style of this looks great to boot.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

I'm amazed by the amount of work you have put into this. The title screen is very well done. My only critic goes to the music, which gets rather annoying.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

YES! IT'S FIMALLY RELEACED! YURPA DURPA! *downloads*
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Woo, these are the best sprites I've seen in like forever, oustanding graphics there VBB. I'm gonna enjoy this.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

There's a huge inconsistency in terms of graphics quality. Seems pretty good so far, though.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

your dream have come true: cool mod
Yeah, piece of cake!
Lunick
Vortininja

Post by Lunick »

This mod is quite good and he is so cute :D
Lunick is Here
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Paramultart wrote:There's a huge inconsistency in terms of graphics quality. Seems pretty good so far, though.
... specifically?
I know I should have made the exits look better, but I didn't care enough to get around to it. And there's the fact I didn't change tile properties so I had to use 'windows' to put items indoors (which is totally surreal underground).
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Played through, beat most of the levels (needed save states for most of them also). The majority of the graphics are fantastic, most of the tiles and the enemies look really beautiful. My favorite level was the first pyramid. The last level was pretty neat, I liked the lead up to the boss, but after getting past him it felt kind of anti-climactic (not sure how this could have been improved on though). This mod has a 'old school keen mod' feel to it in terms of minimal gameplay patching and how platforms are sometimes composed of non-flat surfaces and things like the pterodactyl like dinosaurs.

That said, it would have been a huge improvement if you had used the multiple backgrounds patch and the sloped tiles patch, in my opinion.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Ceilick wrote:That said, it would have been a huge improvement if you had used the multiple backgrounds patch and the sloped tiles patch, in my opinion.
I was curious about the sloped tiles patch, but then I read there was a bug where you can't put two opposing slopes next to each other and I was worried about what this would do to the tips of the pyramids. I guess some of the hills could have been fine with it though.
Maybe there will be a revision release in the near future.

And about the last level: I think you can jump over bananasauros jr. and exit the level without getting him, making the game unbeatable. It's ironic because I made an effort to make the three other dinosaurs impossible to pass up when you meet them, and at first all of those levels were going to be necessary, but in the end I patched it so bananasauros jr. was the only requirement for the ending sequence. In hindsight I should've made the stipulation "beat level 16" :o
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Strange... I thought I posted my constructive criticism in here... :confused

Perceived as flaming and deleted? Or did I just forget to post it?
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

I know I'm about to look like a retard, but how do I run the game!?
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

PLAY.bat
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

GARGapplesauce wrote:I know I'm about to look like a retard, but how do I run the game!?
It helps to use the command "dir/p" in DosBox to view all the filenames... then just look for the batch file.