Comrade Keen - Demo

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
StupidBunny
format c:

Comrade Keen - Demo

Post by StupidBunny »

I was finally able to get at the old backup drive this was on, and resurrect this half-finished mod that tulip's been bugging me for. It's been untouched for about 6 years now, and the age shows in...pretty much everything really. We all have to start somewhere I guess. :P

So, here it is, Comrade Keen (or as far as I ever got with it.) This isn't the demo release exactly as it was intended; I added a couple levels which I had made but never meant to include in the demo, including a secret level. Other than that, though, this is the mod exactly as it was, with all the poor level design, nonsensical story, gaping factual errors and terrible Russian grammar that it had when I meant to release it. Hopefully you'll enjoy it anyway...some of the levels are decent and the graphics aren't terrible. Just keep in mind, it was a very long time ago that I made this...

I think I'm done yammering now. Here's the link...

Товарищ Острый!

One last note...I've started to remake this, in a rather different form. I won't give away too much (not that there's much to give away at this point) but here's the new title screen... :)

Last edited by Fleexy on Sat May 01, 2021 18:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix mangled Cyrillic
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Cool.
Communism? :D
Yeah, piece of cake!
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Wooo - persistence pays off once again. This is actually much cooler than I had expected. 8 fully playable, designed from scratch, using only selfmade graphics (some merely recolored, but still), this would qualify as a full mod in some circles, and has a nice b-movie flair to it.
All our base are belong to us, indeed.

I mirrored this on the KeenWiki's mod list, so it won't get lost again.

The remake titlescreen looks so awesome.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Lunick
Vortininja

Post by Lunick »

Had a play of it,

Very Nice indeed
Lunick is Here
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Ah, more SB stuff. 8) Great old-school mod. A bit crudeness in the graphics section, but it's witty and funny. :) Haven't played every level yet.

Agree, the new title screen's brilliant. Going to FYCK it. Glad to hear something more'll become of this.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

The remake titlescreen looks so awesome.
Yeah, though Keen should have his hand in front of his forehead in an honouring pose :)
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Lumpytoast
Vortininja

Post by Lumpytoast »

I lol'ed tremendously at the filename. COMMIES.zip
Keen's Soviet helmet is pretty hilarious as well. :crazy
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Haha, this looks interesting.
I can only hope that Keen's older brother played for a team called "The Red Menace" in this timeline. :P
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

In Soviet Russia, Keen plays you!
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I'm glad you all seem to be enjoying it. :) My past self would be pleased. Hopefully the remake will turn out an improvement, when it's done...
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I have no doubt that it will be, having seen Clouds Unseen...

By the way, the story really cracked me up... :lol

And I just can't resist saying the caption I've had in MSN for a while: In Russia, Keen modifies you! :dopekeen
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Mink
Vortininja'd

Re: Comrade Keen - Demo

Post by Mink »

StupidBunny wrote:One last note...I've started to remake this, in a rather different form. I won't give away too much (not that there's much to give away at this point) but here's the new title screen...
Haha, awesome new title screen! And I'm really hoping that "different form" comment means Galaxy....

Anyway, as you said, the graphics and level design aren't as good as your new Clouds Unseen, but this was still a fun romp through a retro mod. I did like how the yorp replacements blended in with the background, and the garg replacements were pretty cute and well-animated.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I was disappointed not to see the above title screen in the game, it's some very nice artwork. (And also not to see Keen's Blascovitz name in there, it sounds eastern European enough!)

Your inescapable icecube trap was also mean. Otherwise, interesting mod, especially the Czech writing.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Levellass wrote:I was disappointed not to see the above title screen in the game, it's some very nice artwork. (And also not to see Keen's Blascovitz name in there, it sounds eastern European enough!)

Your inescapable icecube trap was also mean. Otherwise, interesting mod, especially the Czech writing.
That title screen will be used in the new-and-improved remake. :) And so will the Blazkowicz name I imagine (I don't think I knew that name association or had even ever played Wolf3D at the time Comrade Keen was made.)

Also, for the record that writing is in Russian :D
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

. . . I thought that it's really Czech, so I downloaded it. Nice stuff. :dopekeen