The best mod ever made.

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

The best mod ever made.

Post by Dynamo »

No, this is not a poll about which mod you think is the best ever :crazy

Now that school is over I have plenty of free time, and I was convinced by Mink and Tulip to enter the world of commander keen modding. I promised one year ago I would get around to make my own mod sometime in the future... and the time has arrived. Though this is not really a mod, but rather a level pack. It will feature no new graphics and possibly not even a patch file. This is my first attempt to map for commander keen so my maps might not be at the same level of Keen X but I'll try to do my best. I decided to call the level pack The best mod ever made, and use Keen 2 as the base.

This mod focuses on the gameplay and not really on extremely good looking maps. I played many keen mods and I always felt... There was something missing. Most of the hard mods in fact seem to focus on hard jumping puzzles and various hazards of this kind. However I want to take a different approach. While in order to beat smile you have to master the art of jumping, here you will need to know very well how to fight enemies, because there will be MANY enemies to kill. There will be enough ammo to kill everyone in the level but ammo will be your least problem. I'm trying to making the maps as hard and less repetitive as possible so this will be a rather challenging mod for keeners of any skill level.

Story:

You wake up in the middle of a weird space station with a strange looking gun in your hands. For some reason you don't see things through your eyes anymore but rather like if you were playing that game called Super Mario Bros only it's real. Your mission is to infiltrate this space station and find out what your mission is, and then send an angry letter to the mapper madman that sent you in this place.

To read the rest of the incredible The best mod ever story, either send 500€ to me, or get the Keen source code from ID Software.

Some screens:

Level 1: Herp Derp

Level 2: Reactor Omega

Level 3: Blown to pieces

More to come!

EDIT: DEMO: http://www.2shared.com/file/kwzEn0gd/TBMEM.html
Last edited by Dynamo on Sun Dec 19, 2010 22:22, edited 5 times in total.
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

As I've said on the IRC channel, that is an amazing amount of progress for one day (especially for a Keener!). But man oh man those look garging hard. And yeah, I'm gonna echo what Lemm said on the channel: 'twould be even more epic if you used the machine gun patch.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I suppose it should be "The Best Levelpack Ever Made" then... :P

Intriguing idea. It'll be interesting to see the "slaughter map" concept applied to Commander Keen. :)
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

StupidBunny wrote:I suppose it should be "The Best Levelpack Ever Made" then... :P
It was done on purpose :p If I called this The best levelpack ever made it would be quite... a bad thing since this is certainly NOT the best levelpack ever made. So since it is not a mod I decided to call it The best mod ever made, it's like calling it Pie only different. Yeah well I think you got the point
StupidBunny wrote:Intriguing idea. It'll be interesting to see the "slaughter map" concept applied to Commander Keen. :)
I'll see how many enemies the engine can handle in a single map, hopefully I'll be able to create large maps instead of small ones.

The only problem with this concept is that it is... more luck based than say, Smile, because it really depends on how high a vorticon jumps and how often a robo sentry shoots. But if one knows the enemies well it shouldn't be impossible to get through it.
Last edited by Dynamo on Thu Jun 17, 2010 23:38, edited 1 time in total.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

I've always wanted to apply the slaughter map concept to Keen. Now I don't have to :P
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I agree with the machine gun patch suggestion, maybe Mink should explain to you how to make a patchfile :dead

Well the first three levels look quite different each, so good luck keeping the concept fresh for the remaining 152 levels....
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I am speechless. That's all I'll say.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Lunick
Vortininja

Post by Lunick »

Yes, i so wanna see this
Lunick is Here
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

I MUST get myself involved in Commander Keen modding more.
I feel like I'm outside the group of "real fans" because I don't. :(
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Yeah, 'cos, you know, real fans doesn't make Keen comic strips and afraid of everything.
Lunick
Vortininja

Post by Lunick »

I should learn how to Mod,... but im too lazy for that :P
Lunick is Here
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I hear you Lunick, I hear you. Story of my life!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Lunick
Vortininja

Post by Lunick »

haha, oh really
Lunick is Here
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

levellass wrote:I hear you Lunick, I hear you. Story of my life!
:confused

Welp, there you go. Too lazy to learn equals excellent mod output. [temporary cereal]Do it.[/temporary cereal]
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

Commander Spleen wrote:Yeah, 'cos, you know, real fans doesn't make Keen comic strips and afraid of everything.
:confused

yeah, they don't?