Clouds Unseen

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
StupidBunny
format c:

Clouds Unseen

Post by StupidBunny »

Here's Clouds Unseen, a mod of Keen 1 I started working on about the end of August. I haven't actually been working on it for most of that time since I've been busy travelling for much of the year, but I've gotten it done finally. :) There's probably bits of it that need reworking, and I'll probably re-release it once I've gotten some feedback. Anyway, have fun...

The original
The verdant version
Last edited by StupidBunny on Fri May 21, 2010 11:11, edited 2 times in total.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Nice mod, it has a good atmosphere. Though, my eyes hurt because of the black and white colors. They're an interesting idea, but it doesn't fit into this mod very well, I think.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Nice work with the mod, the white and black can quickly become irritating though. Lol @ pingas :p
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

This is amazing. The atmosphere and level flow in particular are outstanding.

It took me a minute to figure out what ammo looks like. I thought the one up the top at the start was a box, and turned back before thinking to collect it the first time around.

Also, you visited a common evil upon us in that first level: precision jumping over a spike pit. GARG. I God Moded it and still fell in three times.

Nice work overall! Especially for managing to keep it quiet for so long. Surprise mods are awesome.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

Love it. As irritating the monochromatic colour scheme is, it doesn't take too much away from the game.

I've got a good idea for a new mod from playing this!
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

plz tell me the pyramid level at the bottom isn't mandatory. Cuz it keeps killing me and I'm sick of looking at it :bloody

The black and whiteness kinda reminds me of old mac games.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I wasn't sure how folks would respond to the color scheme in this...apparently not too well for the most part :P That's okay, it's nice to hear that it's good otherwise. I never know if levels are too long, or too short, or too linear, or really much of anything like that until somebody else has played it...

Also, if the precision jumping on the first level was a pain then some of the other levels may present problems... :crazy

@VikingBillyBoy: No, don't worry, the pyramid there isn't required to beat the game. :) Although you can get to the secret level from there...
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

That's it. I have a new favourite mod. :p This mod is amazing -- and I've only just started playing it. I love the black and white colour scheme. I'll write some more once I've completed it. Definitely a nice surprise.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

Wow, I'm still on the first level (don't worry, it's not the difficulty - I just started), and the monochrome color scheme is an awesome surprise. Works really well.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Btw, you can get stuck on the second level (north from the first), if you stand on the block in front of the ice cannon replacement ;)
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Grimson wrote:Btw, you can get stuck on the second level (north from the first), if you stand on the block in front of the ice cannon replacement ;)
Ahh, thanks for catching that! :)

I made up a second version of this...it's exactly the same as the first except that the white has been replaced with green. I'll keep the black and white up, since I and some others like it that way, but the new version may be more subdued for anybody that found the monochrome blinding. (I can't put it up now since I'm at an internet cafe...once I get to a place with good WiFi I'll have that up. :) )

EDIT: The link is up, see first post. Also, no more MediaFire :D
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

way cool!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Green = nausea. White wins.
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

I played the first three levels (and I was unable to solve the second one: How do I do that jump at the end?) and it looks and feels great!

The colour style fits in very well (though it's very difficult to distinguish the items, hazards and enemies) and gives this mod a new gaming experience.

The "Story" text is just awesome and very funny. I had a good laugh when I read it.
Also, many of the ingame graphics feature a great sense of humour (The protagonist smiling when shooting, the skateboard ride, the phone calls...).

A big drawback is -as it's often the case - the difficulty. I'm not a good episodes 1-3 player (still can't solve most of the Keen 3 levels) and I really think that develpoers tend to forget that there's no in-game saving. I don't get enough lives to survive more than 2 levels and after 4 deaths I tend to quit the game frustrated.

To be honest, some of the jumps and hazards really suck in this mode. If I play the rest of the game, I think I'll have to use GOD-mode.

Over all a very suprising and breathtaking mod! Maybe you want to do an easy version as well. :-)
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Commander Spleen wrote:Green = nausea. White wins.
I chose green over any other colors because I figured it might kind of pull off the Game Boy look...but I agree, it came out kind of fugly. That's like 40 minutes of my life down the drain. :crazy Maybe I'll try it again at some point with a less offensive color...light gray might actually work pretty well, and wouldn't change much...
Keenfan wrote:To be honest, some of the jumps and hazards really suck in this mode ... Maybe you want to do an easy version as well.
I actually considered making up some easier levels...I realized at some point that some of the jumps in here really ARE very tricky, and even I can get frustrated playing some of these (the void factory, especially, mostly because it's so long.) Plus an easier version would be better for the general, non-Keen-initiated audience. I might make good on this too... :)

Keep the feedback coming, everybody! I'm glad it mostly is going over well... =3 <-- We need a kitty face Keen...