Keen Day 2015!

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Keen Day 2015!

Post by Lava89 »

Hi everyone

I thought it would be cool to put together a list of stuff that fellow Keener's released for this year's Keen Day (and hopefully start a trend of doing that). Kind of like how there are lists of April Fools pranks that were done by various sites for the current year.

I also think it would be neat to put together a list of stuff people put out from previous Keen days. So please sound off if you put together something for Keen day or know of someone else's project and post the link to it, then I'll put it together in a list on this main post. It will count if it was officially posted within a week before or after Keen day (AKA 8 before or 6 days after Mortimer day :mortlol )

Also, feel free to discuss your plans \ what you did for this year's Keen day. But keep in mind I will only feature things that were produced. So merely playing a game doesn't count (though I guess something like a playthrough on YouTube would work), but any Keen related artwork, music, videos, poems, mods, fangames, hedge funds, flame wars, trolling etc definitely counts!

Happy Keen Day!

Keen-Related works released for Keen Day:
2015:
Reflection Keen update by NY00123
Ocflore 1 Level Demo by Bubbatom
Commander Keen - Marooned on Mars (Galaxy Style) by Dr.Colossus
Crash on Gobo III Ultra by Tulip
Abiathar v2.4 by Fleexy
Keen 64: Unity (Alpha Build of Level 1) by Lava89
AbiatharOS by Fleexy
Commander Keen & the Morticore by Quinton
Tharify: Vorticons ←→ Galaxy level converter by Fleexy
(Re-release) Keen & the Electromagnet by troublesomekeen
Commander Keen episode -3: Billy Blaze Demo by cyber zero

2014:
KeenDroid by Commander Spleen
Shadow Jack Alpha by Ceilick
Sonic the Hedgehog: A CK1 mod by VikingBoyBilly
Omnispeak Keen Day 2014 Preview by Multimania
ROM (Revenge of Mortimer) Trilogy by Darziw Nogaj's son, Quinton
Yorphius II Deluxe by Tulip
Commander Keen and the Electromagnet by troublesomekeen
Level 2 for Keen 2.5D (KeenTest33) by Ronnie

Global game speed patch by NY00123
Keen Fifteen: Hello, Galaxy! by Zeus
Marta's Keen Rescue by Paramultart
Suburb Shenanigans Announcement \ Demo Video by Bubbatom
Commander Keen in the Bobrick Tower by StupidBunny
EZPATCH Developer Preview by Fleexy
Keen: Crisis Earth (TRAILER) by Paramultart

2011:
SGA Vorticon Monospace font by Naba
Release of Bio Menace 1 levelpack snapshot by NY00123
Super Armageddon 2 Turbo by tulip

Keen-S by shikadi (KeenWiki may lead to a working download link)
Retrosis by Commander Spleen (Release 00)
Community Keen X Level Pack Release 2 by Ceilick, Commander Spleen, Fleexy, KeenRush, Lemm, Levellass, Mink, Tulip
Keen -5 Demo #2 by Fleexy
Re-imagined Commander Keen Art by Lava89

Keen in Onward: Silcar by Tulip

KeenGrout by ckguy
Keeniverse.net announcement by KeenRush
Commander Keen Signal by Mink
The Worst Keen Fangame Ever! by StupidBunny

Previous Keen Day celebration posts:
Keen Day 2014 by Ceilick
Keen Day 2013 by Gridlock
Keen Day 2010 by Commander Spleen
Keen Day 2009 by Toomuchsparetime
Keen Day 2008 by ckguy
Last edited by Fleexy on Sun Feb 19, 2023 18:29, edited 9 times in total.
Reason: fix misencoded arrow characters
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Some stuff I remember from Keen Day 2014

Darziw Nogaj's son, Quinton, released the ROM (Revenge of Mortimer) Trilogy: viewtopic.php?t=3024

Commander Spleen released KeenDroid: viewtopic.php?t=3018

I released a primitive version of my first mod (Keen2) entitled "Commander Keen and the Electromagnet: viewtopic.php?t=3027 (hopefully an updated version will be released without the next 20 hours)

VikingBoyBilly released Sonichu in Maradonia: viewtopic.php?t=3020

Ronnie released KeenTest33 which introduced Level 2 for his Keen2.5 project on the 15th page of this thread: viewtopic.php?t=2778
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

Happy Keen day! :birthday

KeenMoMGalaxy

I'm currently working on a remastered version of Keen1. This is only a demo version.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Dr.Colossus wrote:Happy Keen day! :birthday

KeenMoMGalaxy

I'm currently working on a remastered version of Keen1. This is only a demo version.
This comes as a surprise to me. I didn't thought you are working on anything anymore. Nice. As for the demo - awesome! I like the way how completely re-imagined are some places, especially the domes, but yet - they feel completely natural and keenish, enough so it feels fresh and new at the same time. You nailed it here. I see you've put those tiles from your other (abandoned?) project in some use. That being said, the graphics are top notch!

Also, happy keenday everyone!
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Happy Keen Day!
Yeah, piece of cake!
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Happy keenday all!

Here is my traditional keenday release: viewtopic.php?p=74529
Image You crack me up little buddy!
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Hi all and again, happy Pi/Einstein/Keen day!

Here are a few past Keen day (or sufficiently close) releases I've found out that can be added:

KeenGrout by ckguy (Mar 13)
Commander Keen Signal by Mink
The Worst Keen Fangame Ever! by StupidBunny (Mar 15)

Keen-S by shikadi (Mar 13, a KeenWiki link may lead to a working download link)
Retrosis by Commander Spleen (Release 00)
Community Keen X Level Pack Release 2 by Ceilick, Commander Spleen, Fleexy, KeenRush, Lemm, Levellass, Mink, Tulip
Keen -5 Demo #2 by Fleexy

In addition, I guess I'll be the first to link not just to a recent announcement, but also a past release of mine, admittedly not exactly for Keen (but the original game is clearly based on the Keen 4-6 codebase):

A snapshot of a Bio Menace 1 level pack codenamed "Snake is back to the city" (Later completed as "Mangle is back from the dead")

Reflection Keen update (Mar 13) - Nothing spectacular, but at least this update adds experimental "modern" support for game controllers. (Oh, and yeah, the whole thing is named "Reflection Keen" now.)
Last edited by NY00123 on Sun Mar 15, 2015 16:42, edited 1 time in total.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Happy Keen Day! I once again wish I had something to give back, but I'm a little stalled on my mod with school.
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

@troublesomekeen: Thank you so much for those links! this now fills in alot of gaps for Keen Day 2014. I also didn't realize Ronnie had made an update for Keenday, so that's good to know! The list has been updated!

@Dr.Colossus: Thanks for posting a link to your MOM: Galaxy style game. Ironically, I stumbled upon it yesterday while googling Keen stuff and found it on YoYo games and even gave it a go! Like wiivn said, I thought your interpretation of Keen 1 stuff was pretty interesting. This is something I've wanted to see for a long time! I'm also glad it's a fangame, which made jumping in the game and trying it out really easy

I featured the link you posted in this thread, because that will be the most current version, rather than the YoYo page. But it doesn't seem like you've made an official thread for it on here? If you do so in the future or already have (and I just didn't notice) I'll change the featured link to the actual PCKF thread.

@Tulip: Thanks for the link to your game! It has been featured!

@NY00123: Thank you as well for all of the links! I really like that you pulled links out going all the way back to 2008, that really helps make the list more encompassing. I also really appreciate that you put everything close to the format of my list, so for most of the links I could just copy and paste, which made my job easier!

@MoffD: That's totally understandable, with the quarter system at my school, I honestly didn't think I'd have anything either for this year. But I just felt like working on stuff rather than study for finals, haha. Not something I'd recommend by the way!

@everyoneelse: Ok, so I think everything has been updated. If anyone has anything else to share or want to point out an error in the current list, please do so! Also, Fleexy, if you're reading this, your editor and OS has been added! haha
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

cough

Happy Keen Day kids! So many releases this year, it's really heartening to see :) Makes me feel like I should get a jump on one or two or my stalled projects (though not till I finish my Stardust map.) Can't wait to give some of these a look.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Bobrick Tower! I remember now. One of the first mods I ever seen released on the forums after I registered.

Here's my little Keen Day 2015 contribution: viewtopic.php?t=3231

Dr.Colossus! This is superbly exciting! Harkens back to your fan game:
http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Command ... y_Style%29
To see this in a Keen5 mod... I can barely contain myself! :drool
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

Dr.Colossus wrote:Happy Keen day! :birthday

KeenMoMGalaxy

That's AMAZING! I really like the designs you made for the Vorticons.
Cosmo II: HUMANIZED!!! Progress:
Graphics: 15% Complete
Story: 100% Complete
Music: 5% Complete
Programming Modifications: 5% Complete (FINALLY! SOME PROGRESS!)

http://www.tsqproductions.com
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

@StupidBunny: "cough" by StupidBunny has been put on the list. :dopekeen

haha, but in all seriousness, I'm glad you mentioned your game, because then I could find other Keenday releases around that time by trying out different thread numbers. Whereas before I had nothin' for the year 2012.

@troublesomekeen: your game has been added! and thanks!

As for what I did for KeenDay, (besides study for finals :( and press F5 all day to see new posts) was try everybody's Keenday projects with this guy!

GRAVIS: It's the only way to Keen!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Wow! Nice retro controller. That's the one that gets advertised in Jazz Jackrabbit. But is the d-pad any good?

btw I didn't came with anything for 314, but since I very much like the graphics of KeenMoMGalaxy, I made some variations of the background just to see how could look.

Alien sunset:

Trolls:

Earth blue:
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Yeah it was also bundled with a shareware episode of Commander Keen, which is how I always connected it with Keen. The Keen Galaxy games even have a Gravis Gamepad option for the joystick.

The dpad isn't too shabby. The one in the picture, which I got at a swap meet practically brand new (finding one at all is a rare find), has a dpad that does get stuck sometimes but my original one doesn't do that. Overall, I can play Keen pretty precisely.