2.5D Keen

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Ronnie
Vortininja

Post by Ronnie »

New Build: http://josephmcarney.com/test/KeenTest32.html
Linuz Build: http://josephmcarney.com/test/KeenTest32.tar.gz

Yorps, PatPats, and Pause menu back in! Let me know what you guys think!

I'll be focusing on bugs again now that I have all the features back in. I don't know, it seems odd to say it, but I think I'm almost done with the first level! Should start thinking about the next step.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Wow, it's no longer just a testing ground! This is really cool! I like the Pat Pat animation and how they reach up to try to get Keen when he jumps over.

Accidentally incinerating a yorp was a bit of a shock, but that's just me.

I like how the redesigned level takes into account the pogo height and all.

Very good work. I look forward to seeing the finished product!
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Ronnie
Vortininja

Post by Ronnie »

Quick peek at the first 'cave' level before I start lightmapping and props. I have some fun stuff planned for the Yorp statue that stands near the top.

Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I know you're putting a lot of effort, but why are you using this texture? It looks like a prok meat more than anything else.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

I really, really like the layout. Will you mimick the "lighting" of the cave levels so the only light source are the lights hanging from the ceiling?
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

So cool to see the entire level from this pull-back view! A vertical oriented level is something new for this project! And it's so good to have the Yorps and Pat-Pats back! All the controls are working swell for me.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Ronnie
Vortininja

Post by Ronnie »

I know you're putting a lot of effort, but why are you using this texture? It looks like a prok meat more than anything else.
I agree, the texture doesn't look great. It's a placeholder texture I'm using until I can either find someone to texture it or texture it myself (though I'm an awful texture artist). It's just a Wind Waker texture that I adjusted to be more red.
Will you mimick the "lighting" of the cave levels so the only light source are the lights hanging from the ceiling?
Probably not. I'll have the lights on the props as well, but I'm not sure yet. I'll be posting more updates this week hopefully.

Thanks for putting my Keen on your signature Trouble :D
Ronnie
Vortininja

Post by Ronnie »

New Build: http://josephmcarney.com/test/KeenTest33.html
Linux Build: http://josephmcarney.com/test/KeenTest33.tar.gz

Level 2! Let me know what you think of it all, I know it's hard to judge when the rock textures are place holders. But any input is helpful!

troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Ronnie wrote:Thanks for putting my Keen on your signature Trouble
He's a bit tall, but it gave me a reason to add the PCKF text. Happy to have him aboard. :) Of course, this may look a tad silly when I change my cignature again.

My instant impression when loading the second level was
"Oh. Ahh... I'm in a cool place." These two levels alone are a million times better than Donkey Kong Returns. :p

I notice that most Keen levels start out with Keen to the very left-most or right-most part of the screen, with nothing behind him -- nothing blocking his entrance from where he entered the level. Indeed the only thing that stops Keen from exiting a level the same as he entered it is the level boundaries themselves. The player never asks him/herself "How did I get into this level?" because there is always what looks like a path leading into the level behind Commander Keen.

Look at this random level from Keen 5 for instance.
http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/File:Ck5lv05.png
He is standing to the left-most part of the level, facing right. Is there a wall behind him? No. Thereby we see where Keen "came from" when the level begins.

This isn't a knock against your Level 2 here. In fact, between the yellow and black beams and boxes, we can see where Keen might have entered the level. Anyways. I'm just talking about nonsense, since I couldn't think of anything else to say. But what I think I'm getting at is trying to tie the world map and the levels closer together. If the level is predominately green, we should see a greenish place on the world map. If the level is a dome, Keen should start off the level at the entrance of -- or just outside of the dome and walk in, as seen in Keen 6.

This could be problematically limiting in the way of level design, so sometimes Keen spawns in the level falling into it, like in Keen 5. But again, we know where Keen entered the level from: the air duct.

Anyhow... I forget why I even... I... Hmmm.. Nevermind. :dead
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Ronnie
Vortininja

Post by Ronnie »

New Build: http://josephmcarney.com/test/KeenTest34.html
Linux Build: http://josephmcarney.com/test/KeenTest34.tar.gz

Trouble, I don't think you were rambling! That's a really good point, and it's something that I've been trying to keep in mind. If you look at my level one, I have that big garage door type thing at the start, though Keen starts below it... hmmm. But I hope the airlock type doors are a good transition to the world map. As far as their nodes on the map, I plan one just having domes, and caves. I haven't made the cave node yet, so the dome's a stand in for now.

I replaced the Yorp statue with a yorp hologram. I got a thing for holograms. :P

Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

There's something wrong with pogo jumping. You cannot turn around while in the air or if your turn, it's too slow or after you hit the ground.

As for the new build, the hologram looks cool, but does it makes sense?
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Possibly a yorp AI that leaned how to communicate with Humans?
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Sooo... Billy isn't the first human to fly to Mars?
Ronnie
Vortininja

Post by Ronnie »

Maybe you guys can explain to me the purpose behind the statues that give you messages when you run into them like this guy:

I'm not by any means a Keen Lore expert :P
I always just assumed they were some kind of sentient or intelligent AI that was more curious toward Keen than hostile.
There's something wrong with pogo jumping. You cannot turn around while in the air or if your turn, it's too slow or after you hit the ground.
In Keen1 you can't change direction midair while using the pogo stick. Only when Keen is grounded or about to become grounded is he able to switch direction.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Ronnie wrote:In Keen1 you can't change direction midair while using the pogo stick. Only when Keen is grounded or about to become grounded is he able to switch direction.
That's not true. You can change directions. Test it. Usually right after you reach your high or even before that. In your game, while you are facing one direction and in air, you cannot turn around or change direction no matter whether you're moving upwards or falling. You'll turn left or right after you bounce from the ground. It's not like that in the original game.