Atroxian Realm

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

DHeadshot wrote:The timeline shows parallel realities.
The timeline shows parallel realities that do not exist and most likely will never exist! If you guys want to create a timeline and squeeze every single Keen mod and official game into it, you could at least include games that actually exist and are actually complete, rather then all this hypothetical crap, which most will never come to be. Not to mention this so-called timeline is seriously incomplete considering all the games and "parallel realities" that have been left out.

Besides, I thought you guys moved on from this.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Syllypryde wrote:
DHeadshot wrote:The timeline shows parallel realities.
The timeline shows parallel realities that do not exist and most likely will never exist! If you guys want to create a timeline and squeeze every single Keen mod and official game into it, you could at least include games that actually exist and are actually complete, rather then all this hypothetical crap, which most will never come to be. Not to mention this so-called timeline is seriously incomplete considering all the games and "parallel realities" that have been left out.
Have you any idea how long it takes to do every single mod? Maybe you'd like to take over?
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

Syllypryde wrote:Besides, I thought you guys moved on from this.
I moved on from this. I only brought it back up as a joke.

Now back to Atroxian Realm. Is anyone else here helping Gridlock with this mod?
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

DHeadshot wrote:Have you any idea how long it takes to do every single mod? Maybe you'd like to take over?
With 60+ mods, I am sure it takes an awfully long time to compile, which is one of the many reasons I choose not to do it, or to "take over". I do not have that kind of time. If it is that important to you to have a comprehensive timeline and you are willing to take on the work, then by all means. It might be interesting to see what you come up with. But with all due respect, I would rather spend my time playing these mods rather then worry about where or when they supposedly take place. But if the timeline makes you happy, who are we to tell not to?

Patrick
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

A Keen timeline is imo an interesting project. I'd like to see it finished and it deserves its own thread.
[Especially since it's been jumping around on unrelated threads.]
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Post by Mobiethian »

Preston wrote:
Syllypryde wrote:Besides, I thought you guys moved on from this.
I moved on from this. I only brought it back up as a joke.

Now back to Atroxian Realm. Is anyone else here helping Gridlock with this mod?
Yes. I plan to contribute graphics for this in the near future, and I pretty much have in mind what to make.
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

Excellent. I already have one enemy done for him, but I'm waiting for his feedback. He's already given me a small list of enemies to make.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Ok, I'm back now. I had no computer or internet access the last couple days. ZeroX, your minimod was actually one of the central sources of inspiration for AR. I'd really appreciate it if you could dig up a MIDI version of the song that plays in Level 4 (Too Hot replacement).

I'll look into responding to all the sprite stuff. I have lots of work to get done over the weekend, so please be patient.
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Post by Mobiethian »

I plan on using the weekend to come up with various graphics. Also saved your PM with the details for reference.
Zero X. Diamond
Vortininja

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

Gridlock wrote:Ok, I'm back now. I had no computer or internet access the last couple days. ZeroX, your minimod was actually one of the central sources of inspiration for AR. I'd really appreciate it if you could dig up a MIDI version of the song that plays in Level 4 (Too Hot replacement).

I'll look into responding to all the sprite stuff. I have lots of work to get done over the weekend, so please be patient.
As I told you in my PM, I lost the mod in a hard drive crash. However, having redownloaded it I now know what song you're talking about. I can sift through my IMF files and find the matching MIDI file.
"I know what I am doing here with my collection of papers, for crying out loud. It isn't worth a nickel to two guys like you or me, but to a collector it is worth a fortune; it is priceless." - Dutch Schultz
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Not much to update on, but I'll post anyway. Due to lots of bugs and other setacks, progress was quite slow, however I did manage to get a few things done. A few new graphics are done. Mobiethian is helping and Ceilick is working on another background.

I managed to finish another level. The problem: The game no longer has enough memory to load the completed level. This is very bad. Very bad. I can't even test the level now. Getting the level to play will require a major redesign to use less space, and that's really going to set things back, assuming I can even get myself to delete all of my work from the past day or two. You don't know how frusterating it is to finally finish a level that has been in hiatus for months, only to realize that the entire thing you've spent hours trying to design won't work.

Edit: Although, I did think of one more thing to try for reducing memory. I'm not sure if it will work well enough though.
GameBop
Grunt

Post by GameBop »

Hmm, hey do you still think you might need any additional help with this?

I'm a bit new to this community and while I don't know too much about modding yet, I'd still like to give some help where I can and get some experience in these projects before I tackle some of my own.

Right now I think I can do some sprite editing, perhaps backgrounds, as well as level designs, and perhaps music if I find & try out the right program some (I have made some short songs on my own before so I have SOME musical experience, as well as experience making my own sprite edits a while back)
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

You don't know how frusterating it is to finally finish a level that has been in hiatus for months, only to realize that the entire thing you've spent hours trying to design won't work.
allow trollscience to help with that: compress the file. then compress the compressed file. keep doing so until it's 1 byte large.
problem?

i assume you are using dosbox... ...right...?
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

GameBop- If you want to help, I recommend sending me some samples of your work. I certainly won't complain having another person help. Music composition would be great as well, but I'd need to hear some of what you've made. Level design probably won't be needed, but you or anyone else are free to submit ideas (especially about things like in-game puzzles) Yeah, this could be a nice way to learn more about Keen modding. If you haven't already I recommend reading Ceilick's tutorial. https://pckf.rigeltechnical.com/viewtopic.php?t=1583

Eros- I'm pretty sure the problem has nothing to do with filesize and stuff. The game itself just doesn't have enough memory to run the level (mostly because it's too big).
GameBop
Grunt

Post by GameBop »

Gridlock wrote:GameBop- If you want to help, I recommend sending me some samples of your work. I certainly won't complain having another person help. Music composition would be great as well, but I'd need to hear some of what you've made. Level design probably won't be needed, but you or anyone else are free to submit ideas (especially about things like in-game puzzles) Yeah, this could be a nice way to learn more about Keen modding. If you haven't already I recommend reading Ceilick's tutorial. https://pckf.rigeltechnical.com/viewtopic.php?t=1583
Well music-wise, here are a couple of my songs. They're part of some really abstract video editing stuff I was doing, but they are original songs of mine I made from editing existing audio. There are some very non-song parts in the videos as well so I'll try to just link to the musical portions. They are relatively short but I think they should give a fairly good example of what sort of songs I can do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHHsvbyR7YA&t=0m13s (Lasts from 0:13 to 0:36)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRwrJq4O-UM&t=0m42s (Lasts from 0:41 to 1:12 or basically End)

I've done a couple others too but I think those are my best ones so far.

Sprite wise, I haven't done all that much editing recently but one semi-recent work I have done is this:
It was supposed to be a Thwomp replacement for a Super Mario World hack.