Chromecast APIs for Android client

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
bp
Vortininja

Chromecast APIs for Android client

Post by bp »

Just a couple days ago at Google I/O, some gaming APIs for Google's immensely popular streaming dongle were announced.

I don't know who's in charge of the Android fork of CGenius, but it'd be neat to be able to cast Keen to my big screen from the app itself rather than mirroring my phone's screen.

More info,
http://googledevelopers.blogspot.in/201 ... -apis.html

The APIs will be out within the coming week.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Heh, that makes the phone more like a gamepad with no tactile controls. Interesting.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Keening_Product wrote:Heh, that makes the phone more like a gamepad with no tactile controls. Interesting.
Android apk is my business as well. The thing with tactile control is an issue i see for that game, so hmm. What about smarttv and android gamepad? But the chromcast works different... we'll take a look on that and might consider it for our libsdl.
Having fun developing stuff...
bp
Vortininja

Post by bp »

CGenius on Android worked great with the bluetooth gamepad I use. Funnily enough I couldn't get it to work automatically with a gamepad on the Windows version.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

bp wrote:CGenius on Android worked great with the bluetooth gamepad I use. Funnily enough I couldn't get it to work automatically with a gamepad on the Windows version.
Not sure though but with the XBox-Controller and compatible devices I'm having issues lately with some games and wine. SDL though should get that right.

Did you try mapping the buttons? You should try doing that, because there initially is no controller setup when you start CG for the first. Also the CGLog.html should show you how many controller attached at your system were detected.

As far I know the bluetooth controller for android just pipe to keystrokes internally. I think that's the reason why they work out of the box without any setup.
Having fun developing stuff...