:garg :garg :garg :garg :garg

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

The Keen games aren't even really worth getting on Steam anyways. Because they're just a glorified DOSbox shortcut to the original DOS executables. You're better off buying some kind of DRM-free verison of them, unless you want them to make your Steam library look cooler or just want to say you legally own the games.

They did the same thing with most of the classic Sonic and Genesis games on Steam, because they're basically legal ROMs in an emulator. Sonic CD is the only exception to that, which was actually recoded for the mobile and PC port.
GoldenRishi
Vortininja

Post by GoldenRishi »

Lava89 wrote:The Keen games aren't even really worth getting on Steam anyways. Because they're just a glorified DOSbox shortcut to the original DOS executables. You're better off buying some kind of DRM-free verison of them, unless you want them to make your Steam library look cooler or just want to say you legally own the games.

They did the same thing with most of the classic Sonic and Genesis games on Steam, because they're basically legal ROMs in an emulator. Sonic CD is the only exception to that, which was actually recoded for the mobile and PC port.
I agree, of course, that this is true, but even so, it's sort of shady to call something the "Apogee Anthology" and have a picture of Commander Keen on the front, but have no Keen games. I do think it's a bit of a BS move on their part, because someone might buy it thinking that they're actually selling the games that they have shown on the graphic image. It'd kind of be like saying, "Hey, look, an EpicMegaGames Anthology! Please buy here!" with Jazz Jackrabbit on the front cover, but then there aren't any Jazz games sold in the anthology. I'm not angry over it, I just think that it's shady advertizing. But anyways, point taken: I would buy this on 3-D Realms/Apogee and activate the keys on Steam. It's a simple fix.
(Used to be LordofGlobox)
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

GoldenRishi wrote: I agree, of course, that this is true, but even so, it's sort of shady to call something the "Apogee Anthology" and have a picture of Commander Keen on the front, but have no Keen games.
Yeah, that's a good point. I guess they didn't feel like paying for another poster? haha

I also wish this anthology was on GOG. Because a good chunk of 3DR games are on there already (i.e. Crystal Caves, Cosmo, ROTT, etc) and I'd rather support a company that gives you DRM-free stuff (even though they too run everything through DOSbox).
Zahrod
Grunt

Post by Zahrod »

Yeah, having a steam copy is cool. See it as a type of backup of games.
:dopefish
"Hope For the Best, but Expect the Worst, and you will Never be Disappointed"
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

The DosBox emulation is so bad and inefficient that it doesn't even run on my laptop.

The only thing I got from this was the Monster Bash strategy guide.

The new artwork for Monster Bash is sheer blasphemy.

I disapprove of this 3dRealms anthology pack.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Dosbox doesn't run? What are you using? I can't even play Dweep on this but Dosbox works fine.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Lunick
Vortininja

Post by Lunick »

All of the non Windows games use DOSBox-Daum except for Crystal Caves and Secret Agent which use DOSBox 0.74.
Lunick is Here