Movies of weird awesomeness - a recommending frenzy

Discuss your favorite movies, books, and music here or just lounge around and see what other people think is classy.
tulip
Flower Pot

Movies of weird awesomeness - a recommending frenzy

Post by tulip »

I'd thought about something like this for a while. Quite similar to the New New Music thread or the What Music are you listening to thread, we could have a thread that just lists all the cinematic oddities you guys enjoy.

So as a good or bad example I'll fire away and recommend two strange films that were so surprisingly enjoyable and original in a way:

Death Race 2000 (1975)

This was really fun to watch. Sylvester Stallone as this total brute, David Carradine as a guy arbitrarily called "Frankenstein" and wearing a rubber mask for some reason, not as ridiculously much blood as in any Tarantino movie, and a pleasant happy go lucky dystopian vision. What can you want more? Cool cars too, all based on the same chassis I think.

Galaxina (1980)

This was also a surprise. I half expected the usual trash with some princess fighting against the evil forces of the universe or something, but this had really creative plot, with a man falling in love with an android and the resulting problems ("Oh man I hope she has a..."). Also great cheesy humor, for example a Mr. Spot with ears pointing downwards.

So I hope you guys will come up with some crazy suggestions.
Last edited by tulip on Sun Mar 30, 2014 22:48, edited 1 time in total.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Excellent idea... I did heartily enjoy 'Death Race 2000' a few years ago, it is probably worthy of a re-viewing. I had little to no inclination to go see the knock-off re-make which came out a year or two ago... you need that '70s-style over-the-top indulgence and innuendo-ridden dialogue to pull this kind of thing off... the classic 'Mad Max' comes to mind.

I've never seen Galaxina but it looks very interesting and good. I will seek it out when I find time for a movie-binge. The premise reminds me of one of my favourite movies, 'Blade Runner', which is definitely within the realm of the 'weird' film.

Now with my limited knowledge of film, for surreal weirdness of a supremely high standard of film-making, I must turn to the continent...

And then, of course, you have...
(available on YouTube, might be disturbing to some viewers!)

Apologies if this isn't the kind of thing you were looking for, Tulip. But alas my repertoire of 'weird films' is quite limited and I don't really know many particularly weird Sci-Fi or action movies of more recent decades.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Nah it's all good. This should not be limited to sci-fi nor recent decades. What I didn't want was recommendations like "OMG you should all watch Avatar because it grossed more money than ever."
But classical art film works I guess. I should really watch 8 1/2 but the inherent pretentiousness that goes with those kind of films always kept me away. It's like that for most european big names, Truffaut, Bergmann, Fassbender, von Trier (acidentally I sorted that list decending in interest). It's usually involving stilted dialogues, artificial overacting all shielded from critique in that direction by an air of being art.
I should go and watch 8 1/2 nevertheless...
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Not really a rarity, and the popularity may have peaked since the unfortunate passing of Hoffman, but this is one of my favourite films ever created:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383028/
I cannot recommend it enough.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Mystery Science Theater 3000 and the star wars holiday special, the latter of which should be watched by everyone at least once despite the fact that no enjoyment will come from said viewing.
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

for some strange reason i kinda like Santa Clause Vs The Martians. i dont remember what it was actually called but it was about santa clause being taken by martians.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I recommend anything from Dingo Pictures because the quality has to be seen to be believed. I assure you you've not seen anything like it. I can't believe they got away with doing what they did.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Must watch Tulip recomendations posthaste. These others possibly as well.

I submit:

Manborg

Awful, dreadful and bizarre. Hilarious and awesome.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Yeah I was hoping for a recommendation by Ceilick, as I have seen many great strange movies by his recommendation before. Will try this one too for sure.

Just to go in a completely different direction, and I bet many here wouldn't enjoy those, either because too young, or because nerds are often not into situational comedy focusing on human interaction, or because these movies focus on female view of the world, but here goes 2 great movies I think, both not super strange and not sci-fi, but with a bizarre plot and great actors:

Goodbye Charlie (1964)

Story about a chauvinist coming back from the dead in the body of an attractive woman. Sounds flat, well it is not all too deep, but extremely funny when several men try to conquer his/her heart.

What a Way to Go (1964)

Story about a Woman has the same thing happening over and over again to her: She marries a guy, he gets insanely rich and dies.

Dunno if anyone here is remotely interested in flicks like that, but I do like them.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

That second one, loved it. Bought it because the video store used deceptive advertising. (I was promised a story of a black widow, luring men to their deaths!)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Seen What a Way to Go at least twice, as a kid and a year or so ago; was one of the first movie dates my ex and I had. Enjoyable movie.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Saw this last night. I'm not sure whether I should call it a B+ or A- grade movie, but it's surprisingly good. I have however included a quote from Wikipedia below which suggests my view is that of a minority of viewers.

Meteor (1979)

"Meteor is a 1979 science fiction Technicolor disaster film in which scientists detect an asteroid on a collision course with Earth and struggle with international, cold war politics in their efforts to prevent disaster. The movie starred Sean Connery and Natalie Wood."

"With universally negative reviews (it made numerous "Worst Of" lists for that year's movies), it proved unpopular with audiences, losing millions in the process, and is considered to be one of the reasons for the downfall of American International Pictures."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteor_%28film%29

Meteor mod anyone?
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Downfall of American International? I didn't know there was ever a high point of this company.

Considering this is a major release summing up a lot of the companies qualities (note: I can't recommend watching this):

But on the other hand AIP inspired me to do Bleen with this:
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Heh, I guess "one of" could mean every film was a contributor.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Tulip wrote:note: I can't recommend watching this
What!? :O I love Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine. The sequel, Dr. Goldfoot and the Girl Bombs, is dreadful, far far more than the first if you think it's bad.

Speaking of Vincent Price, The Raven (1963):