Wow, all the free time I'll have

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Wow, all the free time I'll have

Post by Levellass »

In an amazing twist of fate, every single person in my household is unemployed, a local small business just went under due to predatory loans (I'll not mention my employer but I'll say this, the company 'Working Capital' is nothing but a fraudulent bunch of criminals. That won't mean much since they have a history of liquidating then starting up again a month later, but damn them all.) On the one hand this means free time, on the other it's going to mean some problems with finances. The news is still sinking in and plans are still being drawn up but I have to laugh that an entire neighborhood can be sent into unemployment in a single day. At least I'll have company.

So yeah, if things with me somehow manage to go even slower than usual you'll all know what's up. Now if you'll excuse me, I must now do what al drains on society do, get into politics!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Re: Wow, all the free time I'll have

Post by Roobar »

Uh oh. :/

Btw, I get the feeling you're living in a small town like this:

keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

Sorry to hear of your predicament LL!

Hope everything works out!

(also but they have such a snazzy website! O_O)
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

Goodness.

Keeping fingers crossed for ye and yours, 'lass.
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Sorry to hear that. Damn. :no You, like me, seem to be the kind of person that just draws bad luck for some reason.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

KeenRush wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 20:09 Sorry to hear that. Damn. :no You, like me, seem to be the kind of person that just draws bad luck for some reason.
Noooo, how could you say that about the bad luck. Draw some good luck, will you? I always thought of you as the super positive person of the forum.

But yeah, sometimes we all have to deal with bigger problems. Or, as I prefer to say, make hard decisions. But that doesn't mean you, or Levelass, or anyone else "draw bad luck" only because it's looking like that. I, too, have had such rough times and dealing with them. Not complaining about bad luck whatsoever. I have never shared these here. The point is, in times, when life is rough, that's not the end. It may be an end to a current page you're on. It's a test for you that you need to went through, so in the end, you will turn that page, but you'll be stronger and smarter than before. Аs life goes on, you'll pave the way to a better one. "keep on keenin!'" :pogo :)
Last edited by Roobar on Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:42, edited 1 time in total.
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

Condolences for losing your job mate, I know that feeling as I have experienced that pain myself before, but the last job I left, Believe it or not?, I actually wasn't fired, I left voluntary on Medical Grounds, My Mental Health was very bad which meant I could not keep my job and so I decided to go and start fresh, What I can say now is that I have held by current job for nearly six years, the last one was for six months
Last edited by Rorie on Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:42, edited 1 time in total.
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Well. Looks like it's time to monetize the patching business.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

troublesomekeen wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 22:19 Well. Looks like it's time to monetize the patching business.
That's not a bad idea actually. It sure takes a lot of talent. Of course, the customer base is limited :lol:
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Here's hoping you find a new job Lass, cheers!
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

MoffD wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 0:18 Here's hoping you find a new job Lass, cheers!
If she was that desperate then she could always move across the ditch, I mean lots of New Zealanders move to Australia for work, why? our wages are higher than what a NZ'er would make over there, and lower than what an Aussie would make in NZ, you only have to consider the currency exchange rate of Both countries to work out the difference
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

It is really sad that you found yourself in this situation. Hopefully you'll get out of it not much later!

It still must feel better when you aren't alone in that same situation, *and* further that you didn't exactly have control over the thing.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

A whole business went down, that's the thing. Not just a lost job, but a bit of the community that's been there 8 years. There was a team, a sort of family. People had hopes and dreams invested in the place, literally millions in equipment and various fixtures.

And then it's gone. The office equipment was returned, the machinery crushed for scrap so nobody could steal their designs, the entire building gutted. All because a predatory business had strangled the life out of an honest venture. They'll receive no comeuppance for it either, just go on to destroy more businesses. The sheer emptiness of it is terrible.

And of course in a small town with a sudden bump in unemployment, job opportunities are limited.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

It's very unfortunate for you to suddenly be out of a job <.<
Sadly that is the fault of capitalism; corporate greed and predatory actions toward smaller businesses.

at the very least, the Intellectual Property didn't get absorbed by EA.
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Ouch. Human greed ruins a lot of things. :(

Here's hoping a new opportunity comes around.