Good Free Games?

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
XrackProject
Vortininja

Good Free Games?

Post by XrackProject »

Hello Dear Friends,

I just wanted to ask if you people know some nice free games? Some of you know I have a youtube channel wich Im using for keeping games like Keen "alive". But I also like to play other games from Developers like Nifflas or Kayin. The problem is, that these kind of developers are hard to find if they dont make it to steam or dont become popular on Youtube. Thats why I thought it might be a good idea to ask you guys? I am looking for complete games or mods with a decent playtime. I like plattformers a lot, even more if they have RPG elements. I also like challenging games like "I wanna be the guy" ect. So if you know any small game developer feel free to mention him/her. :begging

Cheers,
X-Rack
A project for lifetime.
Lunick
Vortininja

Re: Good Free Games?

Post by Lunick »

Have you tried looking on itch.io?
Lunick is Here
XrackProject
Vortininja

Post by XrackProject »

Lunick wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 22:41 Have you tried looking on itch.io?
No, I had no idea about this website yet! :O Thanks a lot for the hint!
A project for lifetime.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

There's a ton of freeware and shareware out there. I recommend Xargon.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I second the Xargon suggestion. Wow that's a good game.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

RoboBlue wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 13:43 There's a ton of freeware and shareware out there. I recommend Xargon.
In the pre-95 days and in the era of DOS gaming we purchased all the Xargon games from dimmeys in geelong when they were not considered free and had to buy the commercial versions those being episodes 2 & 3, I think we still have the diskettes somewhere for these games but not the boxes or manuals, now that these are free, we should have waited instead of buying and could have saved the money but how do you predict these things? that's certainly a difficult question to answer, it was the 1990s (1993 to be precise) and the software was declared freeware in 2008 so 15 years a long time to wait, hard to believe but 2018 will be 10 years since this magnificent game was released as free
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
XrackProject
Vortininja

Post by XrackProject »

Thank you guys! I know that there are tons of nice, old/new, free games out there but its sometimes hard to find something useful. Xargon looks very intressting! But also thank you for the list with bunch of open source games! Usually I was looking around Steam or Armor Games, Desura ect but lately I couldnt find anything that could match with my taste. :)
A project for lifetime.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

pico8 has some pretty neat games. It costs $15 for the program but from there all the games created by the community are free to download. Used to be able to play them on the website, but I don't see that option there at the moment. Voxatron is also included, which is a similar concept in 3D.

I found Ulmo's Adventure quite enjoyable. It's a short adventure-puzzle with a cool idyllic island vibe. If you search around the PyGame website from there, you'll find all sorts of other indie things, though many are probably incomplete.

Unknown Horizons is worth checking out if you're into sim games like Anno, Caesar, Settlers, Pharaoh, etc.
XrackProject
Vortininja

Post by XrackProject »

Commander Spleen wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:09 pico8 has some pretty neat games. It costs $15 for the program but from there all the games created by the community are free to download. Used to be able to play them on the website, but I don't see that option there at the moment. Voxatron is also included, which is a similar concept in 3D.

I found Ulmo's Adventure quite enjoyable. It's a short adventure-puzzle with a cool idyllic island vibe. If you search around the PyGame website from there, you'll find all sorts of other indie things, though many are probably incomplete.

Unknown Horizons is worth checking out if you're into sim games like Anno, Caesar, Settlers, Pharaoh, etc.
Thank you! :)
A project for lifetime.
Monstertomete
Grunt

Post by Monstertomete »

I could recomment the old Command & Conquer Games. They are all available for free right now. e.g. at Chip.
http://www.chip.de/downloads/Vollversio ... 89613.html

And I guess you might like the first two versions of Duke Nukem, but they are not distributed anymore, so you can only get the shareware versions, which are quite long compared to the Demos today.
Can't tell if the full versions were free if they still were available.
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

I remember buying the full Duke Nukem games (well, parents did) as a wee bub, so I'm fairly sure they were NOT free.
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."
Monstertomete
Grunt

Post by Monstertomete »

Of course they werent. But maybe they were if Apogee would still existed. At the moment I guess there is no way to obtain them except buying used versions.
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

There are always ways, it's just the legality of them.
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

Monstertomete wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:54 I could recomment the old Command & Conquer Games. They are all available for free right now. e.g. at Chip.
http://www.chip.de/downloads/Vollversio ... 89613.html

And I guess you might like the first two versions of Duke Nukem, but they are not distributed anymore, so you can only get the shareware versions, which are quite long compared to the Demos today.
Can't tell if the full versions were free if they still were available.
Been to gog. Been to 3dr, both not available. I'm glad I brought them from gog, because they were removed!
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!