Ask an American!

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.

Is this stupid?

Yes
13%
No
20%
BANANA
67%

Total votes: 15

Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Re: Ask an American!

Post by Rorie »

Example of the U.S immigration officials being over the top, well okay everybody knows that government employees in the United States are always over the top

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-02/a ... es/8489612

90 MINUTES? c'mon give the Aussie a break, he was doing the right thing by leaving the U,S, and yet soon as his visa expired, cbp pounces on him, his only crime was attempting to leave the U.S legally to satisfy his visa requirement and now he is being treated like a criminal and now faces deportation and may never be allowed in the country or ever see the love of his life again!

SHAME U.S.A, SHAME U.S.A!
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

So... what's up with calling toilets 'crappers'? Whose idea was that America?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Levellass wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 12:34 So... what's up with calling toilets 'crappers'? Whose idea was that America?
Hmmm... Another case where I can't relate. I've always called toilets what they are. If the internet is to be believed, it's because of this guy: https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Crapper

Although whether that's the origin of the word"crap", who can say?
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

Nope, that's actually an urban legend. Crapper did not lend his name to the, well, crapper.

Garg'd if I know why it is actually called that though.
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Wiktionary to the rescue!

[Wiktionary]
Crapper
From crap +‎ -er

Crap
From Middle English crappe, also in plural: crappen, crappys, craps (“chaff; buckwheat”), from Old French crappe, crapin (“chaff”) (compare Medieval Latin crappa (plural), also crapinum), from Old Dutch krappen (“to cut off, pluck off”) (whence Middle Dutch crappe, crap (“a chop, cutlet”), whence Dutch krip (“a steak”)). Related to crop.
[/Wiktionary]

In other words, it originally meant the inedible plant material left over from harvest, hence I can see how people would connect the word to human left-overs. That, or ye olde English people had a very grain-rich diet :freud
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

Levellass wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 12:34 So... what's up with calling toilets 'crappers'? Whose idea was that America?
Any Americans here familiar with the Australian slang word (Dunny)?
We Aussies also use that word to joke about toilets, in fact somebody I know who is Malaysian Born but is a nationalized Australian, when he first came to this country, he had no idea about the vulgarities and slang that is the Australian Dictionary, he also didn't know who Rodney Rude or Kevin "Bloody" Wilson were, those 2 comedians are true blue comics who are very Aussie but also quite rude & dirty who are just as bad as each other, Let's try to hide this from the PC Police. folks!
Up yours Fleexy!
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Rorie wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 4:09 Any Americans here familiar with the Australian slang word (Dunny)?
I am familiar with it, strangely enough via the game Myst-- what I heard is that the fabled lost civilization of D'Ni was originally going to be called Dunny, but was changed due to that name for the toilet (still pronounced the same, ironically, haha).
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

Lava89 wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 20:08
Rorie wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 4:09 Any Americans here familiar with the Australian slang word (Dunny)?
I am familiar with it, strangely enough via the game Myst-- what I heard is that the fabled lost civilization of D'Ni was originally going to be called Dunny, but was changed due to that name for the toilet (still pronounced the same, ironically, haha).
Aye, I heard that one too. (And now I want to play Myst...)

Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Inevitable Myst topic derailment

Post by Lava89 »

Ahhhh! I'd recommend checking out realMyst or realMyst Masterpiece edition-- if the original is too hard to get back into.
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

Lava89 wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 20:08
Sooner or later SOMEONE was going to bring that up.
Did you know Atrus is an Aussie? No? You do now!
"Yeah, just pass us the white page, I'll be on the throne."
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4RcSa2mm14
please delete this post if inappropriate, I just figure it is hilarious but others may think otherwise
Up yours Fleexy!
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoF9qvC6Bbk

interesting debate on Australian vs American Health Care, My impression of the TYT is that the jorno's are praising our health care and to put aside the politics, I know that by being born and raised as an Australian, we do have much better health care than the U.S, yes Australia pays for it with very high taxes and the wealthy are being encouraged to buy insurance with the promise of an tax concession, yes it is expensive to run but still as I said before Australia does have much better health care than the U.S, no we're not France, we're definitely not number 1, but still Australians who need emergency care by walking into an ER, receive the care they need, and we don't ask for a credit or insurance card pronto, where as of in America, the Health Care Sector is all about profit and not providing care to those who need it
Up yours Fleexy!
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

You're very right that our healthcare is pants.

It's only going to get more so.

Rorie

Post by Rorie »

Rorie wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 9:55 Example of the U.S immigration officials being over the top, well okay everybody knows that government employees in the United States are always over the top

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-02/a ... es/8489612

90 MINUTES? c'mon give the Aussie a break, he was doing the right thing by leaving the U,S, and yet soon as his visa expired, cbp pounces on him, his only crime was attempting to leave the U.S legally to satisfy his visa requirement and now he is being treated like a criminal and now faces deportation and may never be allowed in the country or ever see the love of his life again!

SHAME U.S.A, SHAME U.S.A!
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-11/c ... il/8516178

finally common sense prevails!
Up yours Fleexy!
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

Another day in the life of President Trump, another controversy!
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-11/d ... ke/8372994
Up yours Fleexy!