Ask an American!

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.

Is this stupid?

Yes
13%
No
20%
BANANA
67%

Total votes: 15

keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

chrissifniotis wrote:why is it that a number of words are spelt differently in America and American held territories?
It has to do with standardized spelling. Sometime in the 19th century, people decided that spelling ought to be standardized (before that you could pretty much spell however you wanted). Over here I think it was Noah Webster who first published a comprehensive, standardized dictionary, and tried to simplify the spelling of a lot of words. I don't know who did that in Britain (Dr. Johnson maybe?) but somehow we ended up with different standards.

What do you mean about the counting system? Are you talking about how in British English a "billion" means 1,000,000,000,000?
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

Cool, good to know. :) And yes I do mean that, why a billion is a million-million and a trillion is a billion-billion in England, yet the order of magnitude in America seems to increase every thousand.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

chrissifniotis wrote:Cool, good to know. :) And yes I do mean that, why a billion is a million-million and a trillion is a billion-billion in England, yet the order of magnitude in America seems to increase every thousand.
A trillion is a million-billion, not a billion-billion. :p It's also not an England thing but rather an Europe thing it seems, since that's how my country's counting system works too.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

chrissifniotis wrote:Cool, good to know.
It's the same reason why there are several family names which are spelt differently, but pronounced the same.
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

Nospike wrote:A trillion is a million-billion, not a billion-billion. :p It's also not an England thing but rather an Europe thing it seems, since that's how my country's counting system works too.
Huh, okay, cool.
8) +1IQ
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

_mr_m_ wrote:Do I dare ask for opinions on Tony Abbott?
Do I ask for the Liberal Party to come and damage the country that I live and grew up in?

With all seriousness Australia atm is dysfunctional and for the last 9 years, we have not had a single Prime Minister serve a full 3 years and it looks like this will continue before democracy prevails, Kevin Rudd was PM 2 times and now it is very likely that the fucl homo Tony Abbott is going to be given a second shot of being leader again, wtf? Australia was the joke of the world with Abbott as PM, Why should phony tony be given what he wants, to be Prime Minister again? much as I hate Malcolm Turnbull (who is a puppet of his predecessor and the Liberal Party) Turnbull should be given a chance to serve a full term as Australia voted for him, for heaven's sake since 2007 no stable government in this country, it is pecking time that the revolving door of Prime Minister's came to an end!
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

Pretty sure that was just a rhetorical question, but ok. :dopefish
RESTING SPACE
EXPLORER FACE
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

Rorie, this is the "Ask an American" thread. It's supposed to be for questions about America. (so this means, everyone, please don't bait him with Australia questions).

Why don't you start a new thread devoted to Australia stuff? That way you can stop hijacking this one.
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

keenmaster486 wrote:Rorie, this is the "Ask an American" thread. It's supposed to be for questions about America. (so this means, everyone, please don't bait him with Australia questions).

Why don't you start a new thread devoted to Australia stuff? That way you can stop hijacking this one.
Thank You but No Thank You, America needs to know that if it weren't for Australia then what you claim to be the best country in the world which is utter garg, would have defaulted long ago if we stopped lending you money that congress can't even make sensible decisions with!

Ask yourself what do you prefer, Australia being generous and us still keeping you afloat or do you prefer severe economic hardship?

You need to know that we have been very good to you, so don't tell me to start another thread accusing me of hijacking this one, if you're ignorant like all republicans are, then you're a traitor as I assume you voted for Trump

I tell you the next 4 years will be hell for you, so you better be prepared!
Up yours Fleexy!
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

ScarletFlame wrote:Pretty sure that was just a rhetorical question, but ok. :dopefish
I stand by what I say, if you were actually in Australia and were born here, you would well and truly notice all the garg that is happening to this country as in the ALP & Liberals fighting each other for control and how both are playing us Aussies for fools

Compare it to the NRA & The Republicans tearing the U.S apart by fighting for control, it would be a disaster if the U.S actually had a NRA President as commander in chief, the U.S would be simply mandating mass murder all over the right to bear arms, do you really want that or do you want a peaceful society? something that will never happen under the GOP or the NRA!
Up yours Fleexy!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Someone explain Cringemas
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

Roobar wrote:Someone explain Cringemas
it has nothing to do with Cringemas, it has to do with the failure of United States and how Australia puts the U.S to shame, again if you were born Aussie then you would know how well your country is doing and you would understand that everything America does turns to garg!
Up yours Fleexy!
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

PCKF is a great forum.

Also, I agree with Roobar, I'm curious to know what Cringemas is.
RESTING SPACE
EXPLORER FACE
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

I am 12-american and what is cringemas?
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

I must also express curiosity as to this Cringemas.
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."