IMF tools (as if we didn't have enough of them)

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Here is something new:

K1n9_Duk3's IMF to WAV converter v1.1 (Win32 program, with source code)
You can now select which AdLib channels should be played and wich ones should be muted. The release includes a batch file that "splits" IMF songs into multiple single-voice WAV files. Should be a nice tool if you want to remix some of those old music tracks.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Now this code is sheer art. Beautifully done!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

The links to the IMFCrush downloads as well as gerstrong's imf player are dead. Can these links be updated? Also, adding these to the Keenwiki would be a good idea, as they are very useful programs.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

That's a great idea. The wiki is open to everyone to edit (after registering an account) so feel free to do it!
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Need moar RAD/A2M to IMF conversion. Currently doable via DOSBox DRO export and then DRO2IMF.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

An IMF sequencer would be nice.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Paramultart wrote:An IMF sequencer would be nice.
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I saw one written in BASIC, but could never contact the guy who made it. I was much sadness.
gerolf
Meep

Post by gerolf »

Sorry for the bump, but I used the MIDtoIMF and it works great. The songs actually work in Wolf3d, but they don't loop!

So I was thinking using your IMF Crusher would do the trick to get them to function properly with Wolf 3d, but the link is dead!
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

gerolf wrote:IMF Crusher ... the link is dead!
Gridlock wrote:The links to the IMFCrush downloads as well as gerstrong's imf player are dead. Can these links be updated?
All k1n9duk3.ohost.de links are dead because ohost.de died one or more years ago. My other host allows only 50 MB of ad-free web space, which is why I didn't upload all of my tools over there, too. I don't have the files with me right now, so I can't help you. Sorry.
gerolf wrote:Sorry for the bump, but I used the MIDtoIMF and it works great. The songs actually work in Wolf3d, but they don't loop!

So I was thinking using your IMF Crusher would do the trick to get them to function properly with Wolf 3d
I would need to see your IMF file in order to help.

All I can say from here is that Wolf3D plays every IMF song in a loop. I don't remember any code that would allow you to play the song once and then stop. Which leads me to believe that either your IMF song somehow managed to corrupt memory while being played in Wolf3D or it just has a very long silent part at the end of the song. But to confirm any of that, I would have to see your IMF file.

Another thing to pay attention to is the size of your IMF song. All DOS games that use the IMF format require the IMF song to be 64kb or less. If your IMF song ins larger, you cannot play it properly in Wolf3D.

Try playing the song in my IMF player (the DOS version) or converting it to WAV using IMF2WAV. That way you can see if there is silence at the end of the song.

If my IMF player for DOS plays the song correctly (and loops it), something is very wrong. The playback routines were taken directly from the Wolf3D source code.

And, just in case:

I would need to see your IMF file in order to help.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
gerolf
Meep

Post by gerolf »

Yep, the problem is the songs are over 64kb :(
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

How much over?

You have options, firstly just cutting the end or beginning off of the song (Or middle if you use KeenWave.) IMFCrush may shrink it some. Failing that you can eliminate various MIDI tracks from the file to simplify the song at the cost of notes played.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

I finally managed to upload some new versions of the tools and updated the links (see first post in this thread).

Most updates are related to a problem with DRO2IMF. The DOSBox .DRO captures expect all AdLib registers to be set to 0 at startup and therefore do not contain instructions to set the registers to 0. This causes problems when the resulting IMF file is played in a loop or after a having played other IMF songs in a game.

You can use the IMF crusher to fix any IMF file created by DRO2IMF. (Yes, I was too lazy to fix the issue directly in DRO2IMF) :p
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

So it's just the IMFCrush that's been tweaked? I did wonder why WinAmp occasionally blew a fuse.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

next to K1n9_Duk3's webpage one can finally discovery all these IMF Tools over here as well:
out now (link) : Image