Keen1 insane minimalism level competition/collection (final deadline May 10th)

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Keen1 insane minimalism level competition/collection (final deadline May 10th)

Post by KeenRush »

OK, I've for long wanted to make a level competition / collective level pack like this, so here goes.

Create a Keen1 level that only uses these tiles:
*144 for the invisible border around level
*155 black background tile
*333 solid blue rectangle
*279-282 fire against black background
*for exit, use tiles 481 and 494 to form the teleporter (it will be patched to finish level)
No sprites except for the Keen starter sprite.
No collectiables or ornamets, nothing but the tiles mentioned above.
Only one exit in the level.
Player will have pogo, infinite lives, and the teleporter exits the level (as mentioned).

:x Make it the most enjoyable level you can. :mortlol

Only one level per person! You can send a replacement to your level if you create a better one, but otherwise it's just one level per Keener! The aim is to showcase Keeners as a whole, not ten levels by the most productive person.
Final deadline is May 10th (2017) (edit: deadline extended from April 6th to 16th to 26th to May 10th).
Send your level to keenrush314 at hotmail dot com as an attachment. No links to third party sites, I won't register anywhere or write my e-mail address somewhere to get the file. Send it directly!
I will compile and release the level pack containing all the submissions (if they follow the rules).
I will judge the best level but the winner won't get any prizes other than the glory of winning an obscure contest like this one. :dopekeen

---------------------------------------------------

The level pack is out!
Get it here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4064
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Re: Keen1 insane minimalism level competition/collection

Post by troublesomekeen »

Hellooooo
Is there a maximum size restriction for levels?
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Nope. Other than that the level must work properly in the game. So - obvious as this should be - playtest your levels, people.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Hmmm kind of like a Haiku of modding.

This is something even the busiest of keeners can get involved in!
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

This is quite an interesting competition. I already sent an entry for it. I'm excited to see what will others make for this. :)
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

And, of course, most of the submissions will be ridiculously hard!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Benvolio wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 20:42This is something even the busiest of keeners can get involved in!
We can only hope... :freud

Anyway, thanks for the level Quinton! Now that was fast. I shall start crafting my level right now, worry about breakfast later. :scary
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I support this and will be supplying a level soon. I wonder how far it could be pushed? Also, are we allowed to request additional patches?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

What more would you want in patches?
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

OK, this competition seems easy and wouldn't take much time. Which editor is the easiest to use (and straight forward as Abiathar) since I'm not much into keen 1-3?
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I recommend my own editor, akeen: http://keenrush.shikadi.net/akeen.zip I'm using it. :) But while it's easy to use, it's keyboard only. In case you want to use mouse the easiest one might be KeenWright's Windows version: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/KeenWright -- although I haven't really used it. I've essentially only used KeenWright's DOS version (which I heartily recommend) and my own level editors, mostly akeen.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Thanks, but I can't even manage to run your editor, let alone make anything. There's not a single thing written about OS and requirements.

KeenWright runs only in dos. I can't find the windows version.

Mindbelt is the only one that runs on windows and looked promising, but requires some files and crashes.

I've red the description of some other editors, but by the description of them (like "crash often") I didn't even bother downloading them.

I can't believe it! It's even worse than I thought it would be. :no Sorry, I won't participate.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

I've had a lot of good experiences with Mindbelt. If you're missing a file it needs, I could probably find it for you. Maybe Windows's compatibility settings would help you run akeen? akeen is very fast and does the job. If no other options work, you could use Tharify plus Abiathar.

This looks like a fun reason to get back into Vorticons levelling; I'll see what I can do!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

My editor is for Windows, it probably works on all modern ones. It should run if all files it comes with are extracted to the Keen folder. It also needs the tile graphics, which must be extracted with modkeen (or the tileset copied from somewhere).

I guess the situation is a little bad. I don't know where to find KeenWright Windows version, I thought it was in the wiki but it seems it isn't. The DOS version is pretty good though, in DosBox. I made several mods using it, so it's certainly usable for making one level.

By the way, good to see all the interest. Get them level editors ready. :p
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Submittified!