Why does Keen really do what he does?

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

Okay but can we talk about the keen fanfiction on fanfiction.net?

Smartest being in the galaxy doesn't know who Alfred Hitchcock is

Second smartest being in the galaxy texts like a preteen

John Carmack is in this story

She has an IQ of 315 or something higher, right? I figured out the plot twist already and it hasn't been revealed yet

Okay that's actually pretty funny

Ahahaha what a loser

This sounds oddly familiar. Rebels, able to sense people being alive...

ooooooooooo

no comment
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

This is also great, for the opposite reasons.
T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

ScarletFlame wrote: Image

JOHN FREEMAN WHO WAS GORDON FREEMANS BROTHER WAS ONE DAY AN OFFICE TYPING ON A COMPUTER...
Cosmo II: HUMANIZED!!! Progress:
Graphics: 15% Complete
Story: 100% Complete
Music: 5% Complete
Programming Modifications: 5% Complete (FINALLY! SOME PROGRESS!)

http://www.tsqproductions.com
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

T-Squared wrote:

JOHN FREEMAN WHO WAS GORDON FREEMANS BROTHER WAS ONE DAY AN OFFICE TYPING ON A COMPUTER...
:stoopid
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Plasma Captain wrote:Do you write somewhere? Like, somewhere other than random PCKF threads? If not... can you? Please?
I used to, but I never *finish* anything. So I stopped. Except for small things like that which I know I can do in one sitting.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

T-Squared wrote: JOHN FREEMAN WHO WAS GORDON FREEMANS BROTHER WAS ONE DAY AN OFFICE TYPING ON A COMPUTER...
"NO! I MUST KILL THE DEMONS" HE SHOUTED THE RADIO SAID "NO, JOHN. YOU ARE THE DEMONS"
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

Levellass wrote:I used to, but I never *finish* anything. So I stopped. Except for small things like that which I know I can do in one sitting.
Oh. That's understandable. It's for this reason that most of my writing is just small snippets (also because I rarely feel compelled enough to record my ideas).

With that being said, I believe I don't speak only for myself if I also say that even very short paragraphs like these would be neat to read from time to time.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

ScarletFlame wrote:
T-Squared wrote: JOHN FREEMAN WHO WAS GORDON FREEMANS BROTHER WAS ONE DAY AN OFFICE TYPING ON A COMPUTER...
"NO! I MUST KILL THE DEMONS" HE SHOUTED THE RADIO SAID "NO, JOHN. YOU ARE THE DEMONS"
But that's Peter Chimaera, not squirrelking! which are about equal tbh
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

She has an IQ of 315 or something higher, right? I figured out the plot twist already and it hasn't been revealed yet
The mary sue-ism is just dripping off those sentences

no comment
lololoolollolololololololllololol, it's better than blowing up the universe, right?
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

VikingBoyBilly wrote: The mary sue-ism is just dripping off those sentences
I wouldn't say Edie's a mary sue, since she isn't the main focus of the story, but we don't really know much about her character. The author hasn't updated in a millennium, which sucks because I want to know what happens next.

As for Warren, I don't know. He's introduced, Mortimer pisses him off, and then disappears for the rest of the story.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Wait, is this an actual fanfiction?

But I must defend the Mary Sue, they are oft written bad, but they need not be so.Is not Luke Skywalker one? Some random guy out in the sticks who finds out he's actually a prince and from a family of space wizards and he's got to singlehandedly bring down he Big Bad. (And his dad is evil! He wears all black all the time!) He maters everything he tires, from the light saber to being able to make one-in-a-million shot to destroy the Big Evil Thing. And let's steer clear of other 'chosen one' characters, many of whom fit right in the Sue Shoes.
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

I always thought that the problem with Mary Sues is that they're injected into franchises with existing "hero" characters. So you've already got the super smart magic teenager who's destined to save the world, and then some kid writes a fanfiction with their own original character who also happens to be super smart and magical and destined to save the world alongside the original character. That's why it's annoying - the character doesn't really fit, and it feels like a fan's delusional self-insert.

People have gotten into a bad habit in recent years of mislabeling characters as "Mary Sues". It's not a Mary Sue if it's part of the original story. The only case that could be made is if it's something like, for example, you're literally a new comic writer for an existing franchise and you decide to inject yourself into the storyline. What makes a Mary Sue a Mary Sue is the fact that it's injected. Otherwise, Superman would be a Mary Sue, and he's not... he's just a poorly-conceived fantasy character.
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

Levellass wrote:Wait, is this an actual fanfiction?
Go look for yourself. I thought I made it clear that they were all from fanfiction.net.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

ScarletFlame wrote:
Levellass wrote:Wait, is this an actual fanfiction?
Go look for yourself. I thought I made it clear that they were all from fanfiction.net.
Wait... Bablet wrote one?
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I don't pay much attention, who's Bablet?