Removing copy protection from Aliens Ate my Babysitter?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
eisnerguy1
Grunt

Removing copy protection from Aliens Ate my Babysitter?

Post by eisnerguy1 »

I hope this topic is ok for me to post. I was wondering if there was any way to remove the copy protection from Aliens Ate my Babysitter? I ask because I was able to get all 6 games running on a raspberry pi (via retropie). All of them run great except for Aliens because it asks for the creature's name. Haven't been able to connect a bluetooth keyboard. Tried looking at android apps but, most of the ones I found required root. Any help would be great.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Re: Removing copy protection from Aliens Ate my Babysitter?

Post by Roobar »

Yeah, I'm also interested in that too. It's really annoying. There were some websites containing an already patched executable, but now they're gone. If someone got one, please send me pm. Thanks!
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

I have a com file that does it (although I forget where it's from) I think it's safe and since it's not any part of keen 6 I think it's legal to post it? If someone wants to verify if it's safe, I'll pm them the dropbox link.
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

there also exists a patch to bypass this tiring creature question before loading or starting a new game.
therefore I strongly recommend reading this section of the wiki:
http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Patch:Creature_Question

how to use a patch like this in general, you might ask?! well, fortunately Ceilick wrote a very detailed tutorial on how to do things like this. here is the link:
http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Keen_Ga ... y_Ceilick)

if there are still any questions, feel free to post them here!

eisnerguy1 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:07 [...] I ask because I was able to get all 6 games running on a raspberry pi (via retropie).
out of curiosity:
what kind of device are you using when there is no keyboard included?! which generation of this single-board computer are you using? which controller do you have in use and so on and so forth.... please tell me a bit more about your project!
I'm asking cause I'm too working on a Pi project. unfortunately I'm having a hard time mapping the buttons in order get some Keen Games running. maybe you can share your .map/.conf files!?
out now (link) : Image
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Commander Genius does not support that copy-protection. Too bad :-D
Having fun developing stuff...
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

gerstrong wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 14:57Commander Genius does not support that copy-protection.
Does CG run on a raspberry pi?
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
eisnerguy1
Grunt

Post by eisnerguy1 »

Nisaba wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 13:45 there also exists a patch to bypass this tiring creature question before loading or starting a new game.
therefore I strongly recommend reading this section of the wiki:
http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Patch:Creature_Question

how to use a patch like this in general, you might ask?! well, fortunately Ceilick wrote a very detailed tutorial on how to do things like this. here is the link:
http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Keen_Ga ... y_Ceilick)

if there are still any questions, feel free to post them here!

eisnerguy1 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:07 [...] I ask because I was able to get all 6 games running on a raspberry pi (via retropie).
out of curiosity:
what kind of device are you using when there is no keyboard included?! which generation of this single-board computer are you using? which controller do you have in use and so on and so forth.... please tell me a bit more about your project!
I'm asking cause I'm too working on a Pi project. unfortunately I'm having a hard time mapping the buttons in order get some Keen Games running. maybe you can share your .map/.conf files!?
Here are what I used for my setup:
*Raspberry Pi 3 model B
*NES Case
*32GB microSD Card
*8Bitendo SNES30 controller
*CanaKit 5V 2.5A Raspberry Pi 3 Power Supply / Adapter / Charger
*NES-Mini theme for RetroPie
*A small cooling fan (used this guide to get it set up)
*3M Adhesive Double-sided Foam Tape

I used these guides to get DOSBox & controller mapping all set up:
*Run DOS games in Retropie
*Configure Game Controllers in DOSBox
*Getting DosBox in fullscreen?

My suggestion for setting up the mapper file: connect what ever controller you're going to use with your computer. Run "dosbox -startmapper" and configure your controller set up with that. Then, just copy that mapper file to the Pi. That's how I did it. Keen Dreams -> Keen 6 work great with my setup & the SNES30. It's keen 1-3 that need tweaking. I've got 2 different mapper files. 1 for Keen 1-3 & another for Keen Dreams -> Keen 6. I can send you my config files if that'll help.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

sounds like a nice setup.
if you could, please send the mapping and config files. that would be awesome. maybe you can also tell me, where you saved them. (~/.dosbox or somewhere else?)
eisnerguy1
Grunt

Post by eisnerguy1 »

Nisaba wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 23:15 sounds like a nice setup.
if you could, please send the mapping and config files. that would be awesome. maybe you can also tell me, where you saved them. (~/.dosbox or somewhere else?)
Yeah, I can do that. I can send you the stuff tomorrow. But, definitely try out the 2 DOSBox guides I posted earlier. I based my DOSBox setup off of the wolf3d example.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

I already knew about these tutorials and used them myself. Unfortunately I couldn't manage to save my new mappings. After selecting the save button it gave me the dosbox prompt where my keyboard wasn't detected any more. Needed to kill dosbox via ssh, which means that the mapping file didn't get saved. Tried to write it manually but failed cause I'm not aware of the correct button namings. ...

BTW, you might be interested to hear that I've found a solution to also use some cheat codes with a 8 button layout like your 8bitdosnes controller. It's a simple patching routine, where you remap keys like F10, G, J or I. Interested?
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

MoffD wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:56 I think it's legal to post it?
I know you're referring to DMs, but just in case you mean publicly:

I'm pretty sure this board has (unwritten?) rules against posting links to cracks and crackers, as well as any pirated version of the game. The reason is we don't want to jeopardise the community, our host, or the modders who I believe have had no cease and desists from ID/IP holders so far.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

Keening_Product wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:32 I'm pretty sure this board has (unwritten?) rules against posting links to cracks and crackers, as well as any pirated version of the game. The reason is we don't want to jeopardise the community, our host, or the modders who I believe have had no cease and desists from ID/IP holders so far.
If there are rules then wouldn't the community want to enforce them?, To prevent any problems that may arise from copyright protection and also to prevent any lawsuits or a take down of the PCKF?
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

It has in the past. It has been more of a self enforced rule from what I've been able to tell.

Edit:
The rule is explicitly stated here (#4): viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1484
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Keening_Product wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:16 It has in the past. It has been more of a self enforced rule from what I've been able to tell.

Edit:
The rule is explicitly stated here (#4): viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1484
Yeah, I wasn't 100% sure, as you still need a copy of the game and it's basically just doing something similar to what ckpatch does (I think). Although it IS copy protection of sorts so I guess it's not couth to post it :foot
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 20:19
gerstrong wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 14:57Commander Genius does not support that copy-protection.
Does CG run on a raspberry pi?
I think yes. Now that you ask, I have one here and should try it out! Great idea!
Having fun developing stuff...