Romero publishes Keen 7 Tech Demo from 1992

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Re: Romero publishes Keen 7 Tech Demo from 1992

Post by entropicdecay »

Looks like it must've been an early test. As to whether much of any more work was done on Keen 7 before it was dropped, hard to say but I'm thinking quite possibly not very much? In any case, interesting to see stuff like this
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

I agree with Ceilick that this is a little underwhelming, being that this is a glorified update to Keen 4, and based on what Tom Hall talked about, the final game would've been something closer to Mario 64.

But then as K1n9_Duk3 mentioned, there was that Zoo level that Tom Hall was intending to make, and looking at this quote by Tom: "My last idea for Keen 7-9 was a game world [that] was 3D, and at certain places the camera rotated with you for different games. " gives me an idea...

Maybe the zoo would've been a fully fledged, 3D hub world and lets say you go to the "Gnosticus IV wing" of the zoo, you'd be transported to the world of Keen 4, which would play as a sidescroller, like what we're seeing in this demo.

Sonic Jam did the same thing on the Sega Saturn-- you run around in a 3D hub world, which gave you access to the previous 2D games.

At least, that's how I can mentally combine both ideas of different camera angles and also yet something similar to Mario 64.

And oh yeah, I updated the Keen wiki page for TUIT-- I noticed it was missing Joe Siegler's quote, which mentions Tom Hall's zoo idea and I added a link to this video. :)
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Sorry for double posting, but about a week ago, rather than spinning my wheels in the thick mud of speculation, I thought I'd ask Tom Hall about this video, and he got back to me!

Here is the entirety of our 140-character conversation, I asked him a few more questions, the last two of which was given to me by our very own Keen community (one of which was from Fleexy-- thanks!).

I really wanted to get more info about TUIT, since we really have little to no info on it, aside from a few statements here and there.

And here's a snippet: