Keen Wiki Help

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Keen Wiki Help

Post by Syllypryde »

Basically, I would like to add level by level information for The Keys of Krodacia but I have a few questions before I edit anything on KeenWiki:

1) How do I obtain full level maps for The Keys of Krodacia?

2) How do you upload full level maps just like the official Keen games and other Keen mods have?

3) To Ceilick, for the new music- Which song is which for each level?

Patrick
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I'd love to see the keen wiki expand on more than just the official levels :)
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I did the other mod levelmaps on KeenWiki, but I don't yet know how to make good levelmaps of Galaxy mods. The way I did it for the others was just to open them in a leveleditor (iKeen mostly) and make a screenshot. Then I combined the parts for levels bigger than my screen with a graphic editor and saved the whole thing as a png (which is the best format I think, its small and displays every single pixel correctly).
The problem with galaxy levelmaps is that a leveleditor displays the placeholder graphics for monsters instead of the real monstergraphics (My vorticons levelmaps aren't flawless either by the way, unmasked monsters are missing, foreground tiles are displayed behind sprites, switches have spritenumbers displayed...)
Levellass said once she might work on a level viewer, but I don't now how much has become of this project.
Uploading the levelmaps itself is no problem. If you want to implement it in the article in the style of the other mods just go in one of them and copy that <gallery> bit and replace the images with your filenames.
If you want to do single articles on each level like in the original games, just add a link on the mod article to that level. Then click on the (non existing) link and create the new page. Just copy the code from another level article and edit everything you like.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

tulip wrote:I did the other mod levelmaps on KeenWiki, but I don't yet know how to make good levelmaps of Galaxy mods......
I really appreciate your input, Tulip. All the levels for the official Keen games come with a level information box that basically contains: Game, Collectibles, Level, Location, Total Points, Total Ammo, Extra Lives, Song, and whether or not the level is required to complete the game. I have already acquired all this level by level information for 15 out of 17 levels for The Keys of Krodacia. I already have a good idea what I plan to write for the overviews of each level. I just ran into a few snags, which were listed in my primary post.

1) As stated before, I did not know how to acquire full level maps. Even with your imput, I am still not sure I will be able to do so or not.

2) I was not able to obtain "Total Points" information for Shoal and Reef. The Squiddly's (Treasure Eater replacement) eat points, so it is impossible to determine the total points for these two levels without being able to view the full level maps.

3) Ceilick has the names of the songs listed in a text file that comes with The Keys of Krodacia, but I have no idea which songs are which.

A new problem:

4) I would also like to get screen shoots of the creatures and hazards in Planet Krodacia and add them to KeenWiki, but I am not sure how to do that either.

Since I already have a great deal of information to add, and I do know how to edit, I could go ahead and add the information I do have, and then the other information, including the level maps could be added later.

Patrick
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Yeah, sure you could do that. Just add the pages you need and we'll see about levelmaps later on.
Making screenshots of hazards and monsters should be no problem. If you're playing in dosbox just hit the "Pause" button (the one on your keyboard, not the one displaying the "Paused" sign in Keen) when you see a monster you like to take a snapshot of. Then press "Print". Then open your graphic editor of choice (I use Gimp) and create a picture from your clipboard. Than snip it to your liking, and save it (again best as .png). Mind that dosbox may have displayed the graphics in double size (every pixel has a size of 2x2) which is good for monster graphics I think, but for the ingame screenshot on the right I usually scale it down to the original size.

I'm happy to see someone else is willing to add some mod info to the keenwiki.

edit: I see you did an article for Blue Forest already. I added the worldmap picture of it. You could easily do that with all the levels. Just save the full worldmap provided on the main Krodacia article on your computer and cut out the level you need, then save and upload it.
If your Image isn't displaying in the Level infobox, add the line: Image = (The name of your file).png (be sure to use the right case, if it's still not displaying you may need to type .PNG)
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

This is cool, after I get to finishing Tulip's mod, I can make some full level maps using keen:next if you like.

For the songs, you can find them at the bottom of the patch file, here's the list anyway though:

Krodacia: On the Run
Blue Forest: It's Quiet...Too Quiet
Forest Tunnels: Ceilick Voodoo
Private Manor: Into the Inferno
Mansion: Keen Rushin'
Complex: Into the Inferno
Mushroom Forest: It's Quiet...Too Quiet
Cliff Hangar: Ceilick Voodoo
Underground: Keen Rushin'
Monk's House: Keen Rushin'
Gem Temple: Ceilick Voodoo
Forest Skies: It's Quiet...Too Quiet
Slime Temple: Into the Inferno
Fun House: Keen Rushin'
Stone Temple: Into the Inferno
Slime Lake: It's Quiet...Too Quiet
Shoal: Keen Rushin'
Reef: Ceilick Voodoo
BwB: It's Quiet...Too Quiet

I like what you did so far with the Blue Forest, with the exception that I'd prefer that instead of refrencing what things "originally" were (Blue Forest, just like the Keen 4 level it replaces (Border Village) has 7 extra lives hidden in the level), instead say something like "Blue Forest, just like previous first levels in Keen 4 and 5, has a hidden area with several extra lives (7)" or something like that.

Sounds like you're putting a lot of work into this, if I can help out or if you've got more questions, feel free to ask :)
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

tulip wrote:Yeah, sure you could do that. Just add the pages you need and we'll see about levelmaps later on.
Making screenshots of hazards and monsters should be no problem. If you're playing in dosbox just hit the "Pause" button (the one on your keyboard, not the one displaying the "Paused" sign in Keen) when you see a monster you like to take a snapshot of. Then press "Print". Then open your graphic editor of choice (I use Gimp) and create a picture from your clipboard. Than snip it to your liking, and save it (again best as .png). Mind that dosbox may have displayed the graphics in double size (every pixel has a size of 2x2) which is good for monster graphics I think, but for the ingame screenshot on the right I usually scale it down to the original size.
I have begun starting pages on KeenWiki for the level by level information. I am hoping to have pages for all 17 of the levels in the next few days. I doubt I will do it all today.
I'm happy to see someone else is willing to add some mod info to the keenwiki.
Sadly, the only mod info I will probably add will be for this mod. Don't get me wrong, I would like to see detailed information for all the mods and levelpacks, as well as the official games. I do not know if I have the motivation to do all this editing for all the mods. The Keys of Krodacia is my all-time favorite mod right now (and in my humble opinion, is the OFFICIAL Keen 7). So that is why I am taking all this time and effort to add detailed information for this mod. Hopefully, sometime I might help wtih other mods as well.

On a side note, I find it interesting that you making all the effort to put up information on KeenWiki for other people's mods, but there is almost no information available for your own mods. Why is that, Tulip?
edit: I see you did an article for Blue Forest already. I added the worldmap picture of it. You could easily do that with all the levels. Just save the full worldmap provided on the main Krodacia article on your computer and cut out the level you need, then save and upload it.
If your Image isn't displaying in the Level infobox, add the line: Image = (The name of your file).png (be sure to use the right case, if it's still not displaying you may need to type .PNG)
Thanks, Tulip. I will try it out.

Patrick
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Ceilick wrote:This is cool, after I get to finishing Tulip's mod, I can make some full level maps using keen:next if you like.........
That would be great. That will sure save me a lot of time and work.
.........I like what you did so far with the Blue Forest, with the exception that I'd prefer that instead of refrencing what things "originally" were (Blue Forest, just like the Keen 4 level it replaces (Border Village) has 7 extra lives hidden in the level), instead say something like "Blue Forest, just like previous first levels in Keen 4 and 5, has a hidden area with several extra lives (7)" or something like that.
It's your mod, Dude! If that is what you would prefer, that is what I will do. However, I would like to get all the pages for the levels started and then I can make the necessary edits to Blue Forest later.
Sounds like you're putting a lot of work into this, if I can help out or if you've got more questions, feel free to ask :)
Actually, you have already helped me out tremendously. Offering your help with the level maps, telling me which songs are which, and the fact that I obviously have your blessing to expand The Keys of Krodacia on KeenWiki certainly gives me plenty of help and incentive.

One other thing that might help is once the pages are up, you can let me know of any mistakes I might have made so I can correct them, or if you do not like how I worded certain things, you can always let me know and I will make changes accordingly.

My goal is to have pages up for all 17 levels (and of course, the Bean with Bacon Megarocket) in the next few days. Like I said, feel free to let me know if there is something or other with the additions that does not sit well with you. Take care, Ceilick!

Patrick
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

Ceilick wrote:This is cool, after I get to finishing Tulip's mod, I can make some full level maps using keen:next if you like.

For the songs, you can find them at the bottom of the patch file, here's the list anyway though:

Krodacia: On the Run
Blue Forest: It's Quiet...Too Quiet
Forest Tunnels: Ceilick Voodoo
Private Manor: Into the Inferno
Mansion: Keen Rushin'
Complex: Into the Inferno
Mushroom Forest: It's Quiet...Too Quiet
Cliff Hangar: Ceilick Voodoo
Underground: Keen Rushin'
Monk's House: Keen Rushin'
Gem Temple: Ceilick Voodoo
Forest Skies: It's Quiet...Too Quiet
Slime Temple: Into the Inferno
Fun House: Keen Rushin'
Stone Temple: Into the Inferno
Slime Lake: It's Quiet...Too Quiet
Shoal: Keen Rushin'
Reef: Ceilick Voodoo
BwB: It's Quiet...Too Quiet

I like what you did so far with the Blue Forest, with the exception that I'd prefer that instead of refrencing what things "originally" were (Blue Forest, just like the Keen 4 level it replaces (Border Village) has 7 extra lives hidden in the level), instead say something like "Blue Forest, just like previous first levels in Keen 4 and 5, has a hidden area with several extra lives (7)" or something like that.

what the... :confused how come when i played the game all i heard were the original keen 4 songs???
Time's Wasting And Evil Doesn't Thwart Itself
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Have you played the recent, updated, Keen Day released version? ;)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

there's a new keen dya version??? OH YESSSS!!!!!
Gr1nreaper
Vortininja

Post by Gr1nreaper »

Pardon my ignorance, but I tested the mod for the first time today - I've been away from the keen community for a few years. The Keen Wiki mentions music by KeenRush, but I warped to all the levels, and didn't find any new music. Am I missing something, or is that an error in the wiki?
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

maybe you downloaded the older version
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Gr1nreaper wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but I tested the mod for the first time today - I've been away from the keen community for a few years. The Keen Wiki mentions music by KeenRush, but I warped to all the levels, and didn't find any new music. Am I missing something, or is that an error in the wiki?
You must have the old version, since in the new version all of the music has been changed (three of the tracks made by me).
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

KeenRush wrote:You must have the old version, since in the new version all of the music has been changed (three of the tracks made by me).
He has to have the old version. There is just no other expanation. On a side note, I have already beaten easy on the new version, and I only have 4 more levels to go on normal (Fun house, Stone Temple, Cliff Hanger, and Reef. Cannot wait to play The Keys of Krodacia on hard for the very first time. By the way, good job with the music, KeenRush, and to Ceilick as well!

Edit: As for other mods from Ceilick, I have completed The Perilous Pursuit, Kidnapped Keen and I only have 4 more levels to beat in Zapping the Zot. I cannot wait to start playing Return of the Guardians soon.

I still have 3 levels left on Mr. Black's Keen 3 levelpack, I am only halfway through the first Death to the Vorticons and I still need to start playing Keen Asylum on normal. Once I have made considerable progress on these games, I will start the TUIT 4 mod series Keen X, Y, Z and Null.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees