WORLDS of WANDER plus Secret Spaceship Club!

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
CommanderKing
Grunt

Post by CommanderKing »

I have some awesome ideas. Make this happen, guys!
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

CommanderKing wrote:I have some awesome ideas. Make this happen, guys!
I think that it's very unfair for you to expect us to raise another 350,000 dollars...
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I have been following this on Facebook since Tom announced it on there and there seems to have been a big response - I wouldn't say that that figure is too unachieveable.

Then again, I can think of other kickstarters which have failed due to poor funding.

Also, what Jimage said.

Edit: Also also, and this may have already been mentioned, the graphics on the kickstarter make me think of Duke Nukem 2 and 2 mixed together.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Ouch, the only $10,000 backer must have just pulled out, because it's dropped from over $50,000 to $41,401. Hate to say it, but there's no way it'll make the goal. I wonder if Tom is just going to have to abandon the project? I don't know how he could continue making it without funds.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I know how he should.

First, make it a free public beta so a lot of people can start digging into that game. Second, add ads on the website.Third, after a while, start charging people, but at much cheaper price, like $8-10. And fourth, I hate to say it, but add buy-able items and unlocks in the game.

Or, of course, there's always a possibility for his studio to find a publisher.
Last edited by Roobar on Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:53, edited 1 time in total.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Yeah, he should still sell the game, none the less.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Boy, I sure picked a bad time to stop lurking the forums...

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this. I have been looking for a good platform/engine to develop my passion-project game on, and everything Tom described in this kickstarter sounds perfect. (I just hope that it's not entirely vector based or something)

I'll try to pledge some dough into it. I love Tom, and it's good to see him doing what he's good at.

The fact he's making a serious effort to bring back sidescroller is inspiring to say the least. I haven't been excited about anything gaming related in a very long time, so this is like a breath of fresh air.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
CommanderKing
Grunt

Post by CommanderKing »

Scarlet wrote:
CommanderKing wrote:I have some awesome ideas. Make this happen, guys!
I think that it's very unfair for you to expect us to raise another 350,000 dollars...
Don't be a killjoy.
CommanderKing
Grunt

Post by CommanderKing »

He should make it open beta. Let the passionate fans sell the idea for him.
We will make all kinds of games and graphics sets for free.

Then the final version can still be sold.
spikey
Vortininja

Post by spikey »

Seems a bit out of reach but don't write a 20-year industry veteran off just yet, with his contacts and savvyness. I think it's unlikely too but the community should be here to support him reach the goal, not kill the project off in its' infancy.

Post on Facebook, Twitter, etc and spread the word, any backer you can get propels the KS closer to funding.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I don't think "spread the word" is the way he should do his campaign. I'll quote why:

"However, simply asking your backers to “spread the word” is a nebulous sort of help that doesn’t make anyone feel particularly good. Instead we shared other Kickstarter projects we liked with our backers, encouraged them to create custom crests for their kickstarter profiles and responded frequently to their comments, making sure they knew we were listening and present."

Hey Tom, if you're reading this, then check out this article and you'll see what you've made wrong and what right:

http://www.gamesbrief.com/2012/07/kicks ... the-start/
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

Just chipping in to say that I am totally in support of this project. I've been watching the Kickstarter for the past couple of weeks, though, and the current amount raised is a little saddening. Based on one of Mr. Hall's comments on the Kickstarter, it seems that he's going to follow through regardless, but it would be a shame if the funding doesn't happen.

I'd still be willing to make a contribution if the Kickstarter falls through, though mine alone would be quite insignificant.
Freeyorp101
Grunt

Post by Freeyorp101 »

My goodness. I picked quite the time to drop by again.

Really smooth demo, yet I still got that feeling of nostalgia watching it play out.
Best of luck for the game, I really hope it works out a success and can't wait to play! :)
---Freeyorp
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Sorry to sound like a party ruiner, but how is it even going to be possible for the game to obtain 350000$ in less than a week?

Tom, I think you need to reconsider your plans and focus on a smaller budget. Perhaps only start with a windows port first and port the game to other systems later on, maybe move your HQ somewhere else where it's less expensive or something like that.

Honestly, 400000 is one hell of a budget for what is basically a 2D platformer, there's no way it's going to make it like that.

That being said, I wish you best of luck with this.
TomHallKeen
Grunt

Hey folks

Post by TomHallKeen »

Sorry I haven't popped in here for a bit.

$400K is for creating the tool, making a game, AND keeping servers running with everyone's data on it -- literally the least we could ask for.

If this doesn't fund, we'll just do it in the background. We really believe in the idea! We want to empower people to make their own games in a ridiculously easy manner.

So it may take longer after next Friday... but this will happen sometime!

Just go and LIKE our Facebook page, and we'll provide news when we can. We may do a few little games in the meantime. https://www.facebook.com/PiecesOfFun

Thanks sooooo much for all your support for all these years. You folks are awesome!

If someone can cross-post on your #pckf irc, that would be awesome.
Tom Hall
Keen's Daddy
Founder ~ Designer
Pieces of Fun
(making a spiritual successor to Keen)