Keen 5 appears broken in CGenius 1.9.6.0 beta

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
ReL0aDed
Grunt

Keen 5 appears broken in CGenius 1.9.6.0 beta

Post by ReL0aDed »

Keen 5 version 1.4 appears broken in the newest version of CGenius, 1.9.6.0 beta. The game starts, and the world map is working, but as soon as I enter the very first level the game crashes to desktop. I'm using Windows 10 64 bit btw.

The very same version of Keen 5 works with CGenius 1.9.1.0 beta.
Last edited by ReL0aDed on Thu Dec 08, 2016 21:52, edited 2 times in total.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Re: Keen 5 appears broken in CGenius 1.9.6.0 beta

Post by gerstrong »

ReL0aDed wrote:Keen 5 version 1.4 appears broken in the newest version of CGenius, 1.9.6.0 beta. The game starts, and the world map is working, but as soon as I enter the very first level the game crashes to desktop. I'm using Windows 10 64 bit btw.

The very same version of Keen 5 works with CGenius 1.9.1.0 beta.
I have no issues here, but I will test it on another machine. I'm struggling with the android port because we need to add python3 support. I'm on it. When it's out the bug and other will be fixed.
Having fun developing stuff...
ReL0aDed
Grunt

Post by ReL0aDed »

Ok; I'm currently using the 1.9.5.0 beta, since Keen 5 is working there. If I could somehow make this game generate any kind or error report, I would have more relevant information for you about this bug other than the standard "the game's not working".
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

ReL0aDed wrote:Ok; I'm currently using the 1.9.5.0 beta, since Keen 5 is working there. If I could somehow make this game generate any kind or error report, I would have more relevant information for you about this bug other than the standard "the game's not working".
You could send me the CGLog.html file. Don't worry, today I have a bit of time and will take a look. And since some enemies use Python now in Keen 5, for Keen 9, it won't be hard to identify the Problem. It must be related, because that's pretty much the change I implemented.
ReL0aDed
Grunt

Post by ReL0aDed »

Well, this is odd. Somehow Keen 5 is now working again in CGenius 1.9.6.0.

That's not good, because now I can't replicate the issue and send a "tasty" log report..

Edit: checked the logfile; the only so called issues I found there were "Failed loading libjpeg-9.dll" at the top and "Failed to load "./games/Keen5/ai/sparky.py"" posted three times in a row at the bottom of the logfile

Edit 2: Now the game somehow crashes again, right after I renamed the folder of GCenius (was CGenius 1.9.6 beta, changed to CGenius 1.9.6.0 beta).

I think I found out why the game crashes; it seems like CGenius 1.9.6.0 beta can't be launched through Kodi with the Advanced Launcher plugin. CGenius 1.9.5.0 launches through Kodi with no issues whatsoever.

When launching the game via Kodi, the logfile stops after "Loading the foes..." at the bottom of the logfile, while the logfile displays the message: Failed to load "./games/Keen5/ai/sparky.py" Failed to load "./games/Keen5/ai/sparky.py" Failed to load "./games/Keen5/ai/sparky.py" while launching CGenius the normal way. Launching CGenius 1.9.6.0 the normal way works, somehow it does not work while using Kodi as a media-center frontend.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

ReL0aDed wrote:Well, this is odd. Somehow Keen 5 is now working again in CGenius 1.9.6.0.

That's not good, because now I can't replicate the issue and send a "tasty" log report..

Edit: checked the logfile; the only so called issues I found there were "Failed loading libjpeg-9.dll" at the top and "Failed to load "./games/Keen5/ai/sparky.py"" posted three times in a row at the bottom of the logfile

Edit 2: Now the game somehow crashes again, right after I renamed the folder of GCenius (was CGenius 1.9.6 beta, changed to CGenius 1.9.6.0 beta).

I think I found out why the game crashes; it seems like CGenius 1.9.6.0 beta can't be launched through Kodi with the Advanced Launcher plugin. CGenius 1.9.5.0 launches through Kodi with no issues whatsoever.

When launching the game via Kodi, the logfile stops after "Loading the foes..." at the bottom of the logfile, while the logfile displays the message: Failed to load "./games/Keen5/ai/sparky.py" Failed to load "./games/Keen5/ai/sparky.py" Failed to load "./games/Keen5/ai/sparky.py" while launching CGenius the normal way. Launching CGenius 1.9.6.0 the normal way works, somehow it does not work while using Kodi as a media-center frontend.
Okay you launch it through Kodi. I have Kodi here and it always failed with most of the externally launched applications. I might take try this with CG to see what's happening.

That the sparky.py file is not found is okay. You don't have one. Sparky can be scripted from now on, but that's entirely optional. So this is a warning and can be safely ignored. I will improve the logging over the time.

I should supply libjpeg so someone can supply jpg files for extras. As far I know, no body uses jpg in our system, so no need to worry either here. SDL like to pull that dependency (SDLimage). This is another warning...

Concluding: I will have to test Kodi and CG together with this version and later versions. It seems to be related to the fact that from now on CG brings a small embedded python3 interpreter. Kodi might have issues with that. Maybe something about. It should be unrelated though...