Other iD games support

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
f-19 Stealth bomber
Meep

Other iD games support

Post by f-19 Stealth bomber »

I just want to come to say that Commander Genius is fantastic and well done to the devs! The UI is very smooth to play with on a mobile device and it really takes me back; Commander Keen is one of my fave games from my childhood, so thank you for bringing it back and letting me have access to it on the go. It's hugely appreciated! :D

I just wanted to enquire, are there any plans to expand compatibility on other iD Software games that play similarly to Keen 4 onwards like Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion or Shadow Knights?
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

There was some discussion about integrating support for other Id engine games.

Cannot tell you more than that since I don't work on the project myself, you would need to ask gerstrong or wait for him to post a reply here.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Re: Other iD games support

Post by gerstrong »

f-19 Stealth bomber wrote:I just want to come to say that Commander Genius is fantastic and well done to the devs! The UI is very smooth to play with on a mobile device and it really takes me back; Commander Keen is one of my fave games from my childhood, so thank you for bringing it back and letting me have access to it on the go. It's hugely appreciated! :D

I just wanted to enquire, are there any plans to expand compatibility on other iD Software games that play similarly to Keen 4 onwards like Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion or Shadow Knights?
Thank you very much. We have pretty much all the original Keen games working, with minor things here and there missing. I'm really thinking about integrating Duke Nukem, I would possibly do it if there is a way to get the ReDuke Code. It looks like that one could help.

Because hacking back the original Dos game file I don't want to. Transferring the gameplay to our engine shouldn't be that hard.

I have been very busy lately, but I try to do as much as possible in my free time...
Having fun developing stuff...
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

gerstrong wrote:I'm really thinking about integrating Duke Nukem, I would possibly do it if there is a way to get the ReDuke Code. It looks like that one could help.

Because hacking back the original Dos game file I don't want to. Transferring the gameplay to our engine shouldn't be that hard.
The guy who wrote ReDuke is being a coward. From what I've heard, he won't release anything Duke related now that the entire Duke franchise changed ownership.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

K1n9_Duk3 wrote:
gerstrong wrote:I'm really thinking about integrating Duke Nukem, I would possibly do it if there is a way to get the ReDuke Code. It looks like that one could help.

The guy who wrote ReDuke is being a coward. From what I've heard, he won't release anything Duke related now that the entire Duke franchise changed ownership.
No no, that's not cowardice, it's pettiness.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Levellass wrote:[...] it's pettiness.
I wouldn't call it pettiness, rather avoiding lawsuits. If you had followed the events that lead to the old Duke Nukem games changing ownership (late 2015), you too would probably try to avoid legal issues with the owners of the franchise in every way possible.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!