Commander Genius 2.0 getting closer to completion

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Commander Genius 2.0 getting closer to completion

Post by gerstrong »

After some thoughts and reorganization of my life and coding I decided that CG is nearly ready to be at version 2.0.

But it will take a bit of time, so at first what will be released are the betas of 1.9.x series. Those will be considered to be play and testground for the upcoming 2.0 release. Starting with that series, Keen Dreams support is included for the first time and I'm going to bundle that game with the others, so Windows users, for example, can launch and play all the gratis content (Keen 1, 4, 7, Dreams and one or another mod) right away.

In Dreams it is expected to see some minor bugs but in general it is playable now. I also want to fix general problems and still open bugs of the other games reported in the past.

Plan is to have a solid version in which all the Keen games except the gameboy color one work flawlessly. Of course mod support so far I can will continue to be supported at the extend I can provide it.

Thanks to all the contributors and fans for providing an experience that made it possible to give this program some life. Through ups and downs I'm really happen to announce a piece of software I always wanted to provide for the opensource community and all the fans that love Commander Keen being experienced on modern systems.

I have updated the CG Website downloads section a bit with nice screenshots of some of the games running including Keen Dreams:

http://clonekeenplus.sourceforge.net/download/

Stay tuned, Commander Genius 1.9 is on the way! :-)

Happy December!
Having fun developing stuff...
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Before I forget that thought: For the 2.x series, as it seems so far, there won't any MacOS X release. Sorry Apple users, but I'm still looking for someone wanting to build it. Codebase and project settings for XCode are there, but lack of time limits my possibilities. Also I don't own an Apple Computer anymore, so I have no easy way to build it.

It would be nice to find someone interested and maintaining that port, because I'm sure there are Apple users that want to enjoy Commander Genius. We also have an iOS Version that ran on the iPhone 3, but same destiny happened to that build. I don't give up my hopes...
Having fun developing stuff...