Version 1.8.1.4

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Version 1.8.1.4

Post by gerstrong »

Commander Genius Version 1.8.1.4 has been uploaded for Windows because there were some complains from that side with bugs that were more critical. Ubuntu PPA users can already enjoy the update.

Although it is a minor version some fixes has been done on that one:
  • -> Patcher has been updated and enhanced. Bad Dreams and The Perilous Pursuit now should work mostly. At least I can play them. Those mods are now shipped as well.

-> CMake files got some redesign for Win32. The Setup now installs a shortcut to the startmenu like it did before. You can also use the portable ZIP if you prefer it that way.

-> Also the automatically skipped vorticon title screen is seen again.

-> Fixed some DLL issues. Everything really should be fully running with SDL2
For the next major release I will be working on two aspects, the android version should use SDL2 in future. For that I'm creating a better more flexible gamepad and libSDL Android will get some improvements as well. infrastructure is already set. Especially for beginners this will be a better experience when this is played on a mobile device.

The second I plan is a secret, you can guess it if you want but no plans to tell right now. Commander Genius version 2.0 will deliver something special so you can imagine it is something major.

NOTE: If you cannot see that version yet, please be patient. Sourceforge is creating the mirrors for that one...
Having fun developing stuff...
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

I notaced a gamepad image in the folder. Do we see a win8 tablet version in the future?

Adding more mods? Awesome! Decree of the skree trilogy mostly works with cg.
android will use SDL2
Hopefully this will cut down on loading errors and crashes? I'll send you some crash logs if that would help.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Levack wrote:I notaced a gamepad image in the folder. Do we see a win8 tablet version in the future?

Adding more mods? Awesome! Decree of the skree trilogy mostly works with cg.
android will use SDL2
Hopefully this will cut down on loading errors and crashes? I'll send you some crash logs if that would help.
Well if I get a chance to test and develop on a Windows 8 machine, maybe...

SDL2 supports Windows RT and all the other version so I think it will work and yes it will cut down a lot of problems thanks to the tighter integration of the gamepad overlay.
bp
Vortininja

Post by bp »

Does anyone know how to get Lego Keen to work? (Keen 1 mod)

http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Lego_Keen
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

This theme doesn't belong to this thread.
Yeah, piece of cake!
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Ahem. It seems to run just fine on my Windows 7 laptop. Beat the first level of LegoKeen using CG.

Last edited by troublesomekeen on Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:46, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
bp
Vortininja

Post by bp »

Was the Android version, works fine on my 8.1 desktop

The collision on the map is incorrect and I fall through the floor upon entering a level.

edit: can't explain why it's letterboxed but here's a vid of the issue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk_3zPA ... e=youtu.be
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

The android version is still 1.8.1.0 on Google play. That version does not read tile info correctly (or at all). I use version 0.4.0.11 to play keen 1 mods, for now. We need an archive list of cg.apk's.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Levack wrote:The android version is still 1.8.1.0 on Google play. That version does not read tile info correctly (or at all). I use version 0.4.0.11 to play keen 1 mods, for now. We need an archive list of cg.apk's.
Yeah right, I need to update and should archive the apk somewhere as well. Still working on new controls...

The version you mentioned reads the patches with less issues because I was fixing the patching system lately...
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

gerstrong wrote:
Levack wrote:The android version is still 1.8.1.0 on Google play. That version does not read tile info correctly (or at all). I use version 0.4.0.11 to play keen 1 mods, for now. We need an archive list of cg.apk's.
Yeah right, I need to update and should archive the apk somewhere as well. Still working on new controls...

The version you mentioned reads the patches with less issues because I was fixing the patching system lately...
So, getting updates of Android SDK, libSDL for Android and pulling NDK. This will take a bit of time, slow internet connection here, but I'm going to build it with that so more devices are supported and everything is up to date. The latest best version of Commander Genius (1.8.1.4) will be used and I think you won't have any problems with Lego Keen this time or other similar mods with patches of that kind.

Unfortunately I cannot support all mods, but I think a wide variety of vorticon mods is well supported. So try it out.

I just tested out Legokeen and remembered, whoo. This game and the level design make it really addicting. Cool effort! And yes, it works pretty well...
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

I just put the apk on the server and the google play store has the latest version with more devices support. Enjoy!
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

:D :D :D :D :D
Hasen't crashed yet. Works great.