PPA and other automated update and distribution methods

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

PPA and other automated update and distribution methods

Post by Keening_Product »

Hi Gerstrong,

I'm installing on a PC for the first time (previously just on my phone) and was wondering if there was a PPA for Ubuntu users and, if not, if you would consider implementing one? I'm not sure what's involved but imagine it would not be too time consuming. There's also the Ubuntu Software Centre - have you considered submitting to there?

I know you're busy and Ubuntu is just a part of a small group of PC users, but I just thought I might put this out there.

Also, do you think Apple's App Store would accept the game? Or are the rules there too strict for you to actually want to use it?
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

It's already packaged as a .deb file if I recall correctly, you should be able to directly install it with your package manager from that. That also makes it easy for submitting it to the Ubuntu repositories as they run off of deb files.

The only problem is I think they haven't been updated in awhile, so you may want to just compile the source.
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Oh I know how the deb file works, I'm just looking at this from the perspective of (easy) automated updates.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Keening_Product wrote:Oh I know how the deb file works, I'm just looking at this from the perspective of (easy) automated updates.
I had created a PPA for this, but believe me, it is not that easy. Every time I tried to create packages I never got through.

So yeah, you have to invest in this a lot of time. The rules even for debian and ubuntu are strict. If someone wants to do this, he is welcome.

As for the apple store, similar thing. I don't own an Apple computer anymore and Pizza2004 seems to have gone, I don't know. So for now there is no recent MacOS X version.

Yeah, time is very critical for me. I rather outsource the ports, because maintaining for Windows and Linux is enough work already.

Btw. the Windows version of CG Release 1.6.5.3 seems to be up. The others are going to follow during this day. Sorry for the delay...
Having fun developing stuff...
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

(Late) Happy anniversary day!

About the PPA idea, aren't some of the rules for preparing an Ubuntu package relaxted when it comes to a PPA?

I guess that you may also maintain your own repository, independently of launchpad or anything like that at all.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

NY00123 wrote:(Late) Happy anniversary day!

About the PPA idea, aren't some of the rules for preparing an Ubuntu package relaxted when it comes to a PPA?

I guess that you may also maintain your own repository, independently of launchpad or anything like that at all.
Well, I have another surprise for you:

http://launchpad.net/~gerstrong/+archive/ubuntu/cgenius

Don't get too excited, I'm still pushing some updates, but if you encounter problems with it, let me know. For now it supports trusty only but I will find a way to support utopic as well.

Happy new year 2015!
Having fun developing stuff...