Crystal Caves for NES

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Dr. Kylstein
Vortininja

Crystal Caves for NES

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

(Sorry about the NTSC filter.)

Find the latest version here

A totally unauthorized recreation by me. It should be playable from start to finish, but the final scene and some music and sounds are missing.
Last edited by Dr. Kylstein on Thu Jan 05, 2017 0:10, edited 2 times in total.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

waht

this is allowed
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Next do secret agent... owait 8)
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

Pretty good.
RESTING SPACE
EXPLORER FACE
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Wow that's amazing! How did you do that?
Napalm
Grunt

Post by Napalm »

Just played this on the Nestopia emulator. Wow what can I say... really impressive! lots of love went into making this. Especially in 6502 assembler, :love that. Puts my Javascript port to real shame.

Apart from what you said. I found some glitches in sprite rendering. The game slowed down when too many sprites were on the screen. This was visible when all the snakes in E1L10 are visible. Also all sprites seem to glitch out including the player when they are being drawn on the same lines. I think there might be an optimization to be done here. I'll have to play through some more.

I really like this, a very faithful recreation. Well done. I'd really like to chat with you about the project. You can catch me on the IRC channel.

Video of bug: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_vHHKjgFQI

Napalm
Lunick
Vortininja

Post by Lunick »

This is amazing!
Lunick is Here
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I think that's not a bug, but rather a limitation of NES itself. You can't expect much from decades old console.

A bug, for example, is if you try to jump out of the world map on the top right. You'll get stuck in there.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Utterly glorious.I could just bask in it.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Dr. Kylstein
Vortininja

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

Roobar wrote:I think that's not a bug, but rather a limitation of NES itself. You can't expect much from decades old console.

A bug, for example, is if you try to jump out of the world map on the top right. You'll get stuck in there.
Quite right. It's like trying to fit a house-full of stuff into a studio apartment--something has to go. Opportunities to do the same thing faster just by rearranging code are rare and difficult to find.

I've fixed that sticky boundary for the next version. There's also some bugs in the password system, so unfortunately passwords from this release may not work in the future.

Edit: I should say, the passwords from the currently posted version may not work at all, even within the same version. I'll try to post the fixed version tomorrow.
Dr. Kylstein
Vortininja

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

Double-post to let people know that I've updated the download link in the first post. This should fix the passwords, so games can be continued--even into future versions. It also fixes the map bug Roobar found.
Dr. Kylstein
Vortininja

Re: Crystal Caves for NES

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

There was a bug that made it impossible to beat levels beyond level 8, this has been fixed in Beta 3.
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

Very interesting, impressive. When I first played it seemed the graphics were glitched out, but it turned out to be the emulator I was using as I switched to a different one and in that one they're fine

Edit: and yeah, flickering and/or slowdown when there are many sprites onscreen are due to the NES itself and limitations on the number of sprites. There must be ways to mitigate them to a point since some games have them less than others (although in some cases it may be due to being careful with how many sprites are used), but the same issues can be seen at times in a lot of official NES games as well
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Haven't tried it myself yet but from the video (on youtube) it seems pretty damn impressive. An interesting project.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.