New games vs old ones

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

New games vs old ones

Post by Roobar »

Recently I've been playing I hate fish on android, which is really good and addictive, but it's basically a Dr. Riptide (you've probably played this) cloning. And the more I played it, the more I thought about comparing it to the classic. And thus came the idea to compare old vs new games. Now, I've never been a fan of Riptide (in fact I don't really like it), but lets see some facts about both and see how surprising this will go. Let the fight begin!

Image VS Image

So in both games you're navigation a submarine. You're playing only in water and you can shoot and you have armor. In both games you have limited air and you must go to the surface of the sea in order to refill it. But here comes the differences:

1. In I hate fish (IHF for short) you can only move in one direction (you can't even stop) whereas in Riptide, you can move freely in all directions.

Score: Riptide 1; IHF 0

2. In Riptide you can control a second ship whereas in IHF you can't.

Score: Riptide 2; IHF 0

3. In IHF you can choose an additional weapon at the beginning of the level and you can upgrade your weapons, but in Riptide you can find different weapons and power ups in the levels. In addition, throughout the levels you collect spare parts to construct a very powerful weapon. Both won points.

Score: Riptide 3; IHF 1

4. In IHF bumping into the wall reduces your armor, whereas in Riptide it doesn't.

Score: Riptide 4; IHF 1

5. IHF has beautiful graphics, but plays only in one type of terrain. In Riptide you have variety of terrains.

Score: Riptide 5; IHF 1

6. Story. In IHF you just hate fish and that's all. In Riptide, you have 3 pages of story about finding and defeating Dr. Riptide.

Score: Riptide 6; IHF 1

7. In IHF you have in-game purchases, whereas in Riptide you don't.

Score: Riptide 7; IHF 1

8. IMO, Riptide has a more memorable music. In IHF the music is not bad, but it's repetitive.

Score: Riptide 8; IHF 1

9. IHF has a world map, but Riptide doesn't.

Score: Riptide 8; IHF 2

10. In IHF you have some variety in the achievements and goals.

Score: Riptide 8; IHF 3

11. The second ship and the keys and doors add more puzzle elements in Riptide.

Score: Riptide 9; IHF 3

12. In IHF you have unlimited lives, while in Riptide they're limited. However, in Riptide you have a password system, but still point for IHF.

Score: Riptide 9; IHF 4

FINAL SCORE:
RIPTIDE: 9 (WINNER)
I HATE FISH: 4
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Well this isn't so much 'old vs new' as 'This one game vs this other game that's like it.' An equivalent might be c0mparing Farmville to The Sims (Which one? Eh.) or Five Nights At Freddy's to Monster Bash.

What is 'best' will depend on what you like, which games you've chosen and what the aim of the game's developer is. A lot of games these days are cheap, basic and addictive (Flappy Bird anyone?) They are built with the knowedge that there are few limits to what can be done, but there's no need to ever try and push those limits. Whereas many older games only got market share by doing the best they could within the many, MANY limits that old games were heir to. (Did you hear about this Commander Keen thing? Smooth scrolling EGA, on the PC! This could be big!)

I really think there's a different ethos there now; for so long games have been pushing better graphics, better AI, more realism, culminating in the behemoths we have nowadays requiring hundreds of people to develop. (So many that it is said that even giants like Ubisoft couldn't afford to render female protagonists!) It is only recently people have pushed back and said 'What if we DON'T have to be at the cutting edge? What if things were simple and fun?' ('And also addictive and you have to pay money to us for everything.')
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

You forgot to mention that Riptide has a butt helmet, IHF does not.

I also agree with LL, but comparisons are fun to make.

As it's relevant, here's a link to my comparision between SkyFrontier 3D and Skyroads: viewtopic.php?t=3185
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

You forgot to mention that Riptide has a butt helmet
He does? Funny thing I just realized that in I hate fish you're actually a worm.

Also... What the heck:

Points awarded to IHF. I hate fish won.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Levellass wrote:An equivalent might be c0mparing Farmville to The Sims
Correction \ Nitpick: FarmVille vs. Sim Farm.

But yes, I agree with the rest of what you said. Also, you mentioned how many game companies push better graphics and more realism-- which I agree with and would go further to say that alot of games made today by AAA companies make things look better but rarely make the gameplay all that interesting.

There's a few exceptions that really get creative, like the Batman Arkham games (Arkham Knight is still the only game so far that looks truly next gen, to me) and the latest Splinter Cell game. Nintendo used to be more cutting edge in terms of gameplay as well, but I feel their last really creative 1st party game for the home consoles, at least was Mario Galaxy. I understand it makes them more money to pump out New Super Mario Bros. games and rehash 3D Land, but that also means I'll stick with indie titles like Mount&Blade.