John Romero working on Daikatana 2

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

John Romero working on Daikatana 2

Post by mortimer »

:garg :garg :garg :garg :garg
Last edited by mortimer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 20:44, edited 1 time in total.
Billions of blue blistering barnacles in a thousand thundering typhoons!
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

:eek THAT GROUP PICTURE!

This game should be neat. I bet penny arcade is going to have a comic about this...
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I love that the article claims Romero is the creator of Doom when all of it was Carmack's tech-over-art idealism and a butchered post-fired tom hall story slapped on it. Romero just made it fun, I guess. No mention of Hexen or dangerous dave at all, ingrate.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Well as a news writer you want to mention the interesting popular stuff as well as the really bad points. Hexen was great but not as noteworthy as the others.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I have my fingers crossed that he's making Hexen 3 :begging
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

What indication do we have that'd he'd be working on an IP that his current company doesn't have rights to?
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I have no faith in this being worthwhile for the sole reason that nothing edgy or boundary-pushing is going to slip past his politically correct spouse's radar.

Yes, I just made the claim that politically correct people are incapable of making good art.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

And what will happen to his project Dangerous Dave for smartphones?
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

I hope its like the new ROTT game, that has a focus on old school gameplay and style. Non-linear level design FTW!
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Think it'll have selfies?
Assuming the game you guys are talking about isn't Doom 4, it seems to have dropped off the edge of the earth.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

But there was really some work done on the original Daikatana with a new patch released after many years that fixed a lot of bugs: http://steamcommunity.com/app/242980/di ... 881622615/
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:Romero just made it fun, I guess. No mention of Hexen or dangerous dave at all, ingrate.
Fun. The least important aspect of a game.

Paramultart wrote:Yes, I just made the claim that politically correct people are incapable of making good art.
It depends on what the PC is used for. I would argue that now it is the politically incorrect that are incapable of doing good art. Why? because they're all the same now. 'Let's give a black guy a major role in this game!' 'What? No! That'd be PC! Best make him a brown-haired white guy like every other game!' 'I have a wonderful mechanic that-' 'NO! FPS with the standard weapons and lots of blood!'

The greatest threat to good art is 'You can't' without any 'But you could' Traditionally this has been the hat of the PC, those who shut down discussion without offering any alternatives. Those who seek simply to censor but not to create. This is blocking good art because they are afraid that we'd want more of it.

But we have oft overlooked the tyranny of the majority; those who block good art because they're afraid we won't want more of it. Think of all the untold stories out there, the great ideas the quirky characters, the unusual plots. All steamrollered by the big players who know what we want better than we do.

Look at us, we, the PCKF were visionaries. We stuck to our pixel-y games while the entire industry said 'No! they're dead! People want bleeding-edge graphics now!' And what happened? Farmville, then a torrent of mobile games and an old-school indie revolution. Oh what could have been done if minds had not been closed!

This is why I support the PC, they kick the butts of those who derrieres don't often feel force. And if there's one thing everyone needs more of it's boots up butts.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.