Scariest/weirdest/most disturbing videogame enemies/things?

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

A

Post by Lava89 »

Flaose wrote: I remember once, I was playing Jedi Knight with sound effects turned off but the music turned on. I was surprised by an enemy at the exact moment that the music reached a crescendo and felt my heart nearly leap up my throat. Basically, I think stuff involving children and suspenseful music are those that really get to me.
Something similar happened to me when I didn't expect a Garg to leap accross the pit in Keen 1. In the level where the garg is in the tunnel (might be emerald city one?). Either way, I think its hilarious when things scare you in video games that aren't supposed to be scary.
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

Facehuggers. From any Aliens series games.

Sure they're from a movie series, but there are Aliens video games as well, and thus, they are not exempt from the list.

That said... These things are pretty horrific. They lunge at you and latch onto your face when you least expect it. Or even when it is expected, I panic like crazy whenever I see one, or hear one, they're just so damn creepy.

So once they've victimized you, you don't always see what happens next (I actually have yet to see one game that -- WAIT!! Alien 3 on Genesis, but the event isn't triggered when you get facehugged) but if you've seen the movies, you know; the embryo the buggers plant in your chest grow and, in an excruciating procedure, eat and bust their way out of the victim's ribcage and chest. Eeeeewww...

They then go on to continue growing and terrorizing people and stuff.

Aliens vs Predator 2 had a bit of an interesting sequence though, in which you got to start off as the facehugger, then go through the chestburster sequence. Good tiiiimes...

But them buggers are nasty.
Last edited by Boreas249 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 14:16, edited 1 time in total.
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

angel of death in spear of destany
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

The Flood were unsettling the first time that I faced them, but after some time they just kind of felt like regular foes. SA-X, on the other hand, always kept me on my toes. I feel that any enemy which you cannot fight, and from which you are forced to run, is inherently more intimidating. It's why games likeAmnesia and Slender have been so successful in the horror genre.

Speaking of Metroid Fusion, Nightmare sure was a bizarre-looking boss, wasn't it?

Still despise the final level of Keen 6, despite getting the joke.

Also, the Dead Hand monster from Ocarina of Time. It's an easy boss, but still rather surprising the first time around.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Plasma Captain wrote:Still despise the final level of Keen 6, despite getting the joke.
What joke? Do tell, if I know, it might make the level not-so-scary the next time I play it.
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

Nospike wrote:What joke? Do tell, if I know, it might make the level not-so-scary the next time I play it.
The eyes are security cameras. I always figured that the Fleex called for some cameras to be installed and the Bloogs just took some eyes from those trees. Never quite looked at the ones that hang down in Wal*Mart the same way again.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Behold: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... k4sE#t=42s http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBrOZ3edk1E

Brrrr. But what was worse was games I could play, such as the mysterious far lands http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bGm2-YpzXE It's like some eldritch abomination from beneath the world has climbed up the side of the world and now has me surrounded on all sides.

But nothing matches the weird and truly glitchy-ness (Not to mention easy accessibility) or cartridge tilt glitches http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... iP3VFz7tD8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF5Qn1hC-iM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40hJ1zOzLhE

The glitch levels from Keen have always had a special place in my heart, especially the very occasional ones where you can survive in them, for a while.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

Long ago, deep in the mists of the late 90s, the Internet was gearing up to be the next big thing, or the platform on which the next big thing would have to be launched. In an ambitious move, Microsoft launched Worlds, a sort-of-MMO chat thing with a lot of user created content (and ads!). All was well for a short while, but time marches on and Worlds was, for whatever reason, left behind.

Many years have passed since the days of Worlds. Recently, one daring man ventured back into the pit where Worlds had been left, so long ago. It was not dead, for indeed, perhaps it could not be killed. It had certainly changed. Behold his journey into madness.
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

MoffD wrote:
Flaose wrote:That game SLENDER (now subtitled, The Eight Pages) was terrifying. There's a video on YouTube of me screaming my lungs out from it.
Surrender the link and Slender won't follow you home
I'll give you a "Greatest Hits" video, that includes me because the original video is pretty boring: http://youtu.be/qcUh6BXzlCg
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Oh man... I just found the scariest one EVER!

Here's me playing it
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

You...

And I love that song...

I'll get you for this...
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Boreas249 wrote:You...

And I love that song...

I'll get you for this...
What song? :lol
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

MoffD wrote:Here's me playing it
This just highlights how times have changed... due to an ad on youtube for some television or something, there was a 5+ second delay before the video could begin, thus preventing your link from having the *ahem* desired impact.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

The uploader has not made this video available in your country.
AWW YEA I'M IMMUNE TO RICKROLL :p
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Nospike wrote:The uploader has not made this video available in your country.
AWW YEA I'M IMMUNE TO RICKROLL :p
:( :( :( :(