Star Wars Holiday Special

Discuss your favorite movies, books, and music here or just lounge around and see what other people think is classy.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Star Wars Holiday Special

Post by MoffD »

What the title says.

What did you think about it if you have seen it? :p
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Oddly enough, I just watched The Critic's review on this one two nights ago. I'm amazed they got the original cast members to make an appearance. I heard a long time that George Lucas actively tried to destroy all evidence of the show in an attempt to prevent anyone from seeing it. Yay, internet! I was not, however, aware of this production. I thought Lucas was after The Ewok Adventure (1984).

Star Wars 1977
The Star Wars Holiday Special 1978
Empire strikes back 1980
Return of the Jedi 1983
The Ewok Adventure 1984
Ewoks: The Battle for Endor 1985

From what I've seen of The Star Wars Holiday Special, it's... wow. I can't believe my eyes. George Lucas is responsible for some of the worst productions in cinematic history (Phantom Menace), and The Star Wars Holiday Special is even worse. Think of how bad it must be.

I have a theory that in Return of the Jedi, Endor was really intended to be the homeworld of the Chewbacca and the Wookiees. Sure hundreds of Wookiee costumes would have been expensive, but Jedi had a huge budget. So what happened? Wookiees were enslaved by the Empire and forced to work in outer space building Death Stars. Instead we got the cut-down version of Wookiees: the Ewoks. And perhaps The Star Wars Holiday Special explains why. Ewoks are hated by many Star Wars fans. Rocks, bows and arrows taking out Storm Troopers no problem? How goofy is that! Storm Troopers versus an army of Wookiees? Cool! But due to the disaster that is The Star Wars Holiday Special, George could not bear to see anymore Wookiees on screen other than Chewbacca (who's homeworld and heritage was later revealed in Episode III as some royalty bullsh!t closely associated with Yoda. You know what? I not even sure The Star Wars Holiday Special is worse than the prequels anymore.)
Anyway. The whole Wookiee thing was botched in this Christmas Special.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Haven't seen it at all.

Have read the title. I know all I need to know.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Believe it or not, I have watched the whole thing from start to finish. I hope I am the only one on this board to have done so, because stupidity like that should be rare.

It's kind of fascinating. There is no explanation other than that the directors were geniuses, and engineered the worst, most boring film that could ever be made, to complete success. It is at times painful, exhausting, boring, baffling, and even at sparse moments (unintentionally) funny, but never is it good. Not even so bad that it's good. It's so bad that "bad" ceases to have any meaning next to this thing. I can honestly come up with no valid reason for me or anyone else to watch the Star Wars Holiday Special.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

StupidBunny wrote:Believe it or not, I have watched the whole thing from start to finish. I hope I am the only one on this board to have done so,
You are not alone :D
Flyingmouse
Vortininja

Post by Flyingmouse »

I remember seeing a few minutes of it; I can't even call it bad since I had no idea what I was watching.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Actually I wouldn't mind wandering around in a shirt with a pitchfork wielding Boba Fett riding a dinosaur on it.

And for those who haven't seen the Holiday Special, yes that did happen...
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

I was totally tempted to torrent this, just so I can see how god-awful this was.

Then I asked myself, "Do I want to waste the time it takes to download it? And do I want to pollute my hard drive with something so terrible?"
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Especially when you can have the Critic do it all for you.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.