The new new music thread

Discuss your favorite movies, books, and music here or just lounge around and see what other people think is classy.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Re: The new new music thread

Post by Keening_Product »

Soundtracks has one of my favourite Can tracks - The Thief. I haven't heard more than a few songs from that album but it's one I've been looking out for.

Based on your other good picks, I'm going to have to look into Zapp too.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

Keening_Product wrote:Soundtracks has one of my favourite Can tracks - The Thief. I haven't heard more than a few songs from that album but it's one I've been looking out for.
"The Thief" is on Delay 1968 isn't it?
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Oh, you're right. Whoops. I shouldn't reply at stupid hours in the morning ha

entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

Good song though in any case
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

I've recently picked up the latest Jean Michel Jarre album "Oxygene 3". It follows the tradition of sorts where he adds to his original Oxygene album in 1976, of course this is the second of these revisions and extends Oxygene to now 20 tracks of music. Here's a couple of the best pieces;

Oxygene, Pt. 17
Oxygene, Pt. 20, I especially like the call back to Oxygene Pt. 6

Below are the best parts of the previous Oxygene albums, weirdly they are all even numbers;

Oxygene, Pt. 2
Oxygene, Pt. 4
Oxygene, Pt. 6
Oxygene, Pt. 8
Oxygene, Pt. 10 - ignore the video, the album it's from is "Oxygene 7-13"
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

I'm still waiting for Raccoon, parts 12-16.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwdIqdmOO34

entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

FREE.99 - Search Engine
Furry (With Rope Wound) - Lemontongue
Ada Rook - Rookie's Bustle
100 Gecs - 10,000 Gecs
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Butcher Babies- Beaver Cage
Delco Detention- Pitch Black Heart
Delco Detention- Earthless Delco
Delco Detention- Domagoj Simek Told Me Quitters Never Smoke
Dying Fetus- Unbridled Fury
Infected Rain- The Devil' Dozen Live
Metallica- 72 Seasons
Nita Strauss- Winner Takes All
Obituary- Dying of Everything
Overkill- Scorched
Suicide Silence- Remember... You Must Die
Metal: Hellsinger- Dream of the Beast (Featuring Cristina Scabbia)
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Not sure if/how you accessed the full 72 Seasons album before 14th of April! Anyway I think it's good! Most reviews I've read are fair and I agree with them. The musicianship is essentially as good as they ever were (if not better), whilst the songwriting is fine but doesn't have that unforgettable touch of distinctive material that they produced in their first two decades.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Benvolio wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:24 Not sure if/how you accessed the full 72 Seasons album before 14th of April! Anyway I think it's good! Most reviews I've read are fair and I agree with them. The musicianship is essentially as good as they ever were (if not better), whilst the songwriting is fine but doesn't have that unforgettable touch of distinctive material that they produced in their first two decades.
Actually I didn't. I only heard the 4 songs they had released before. However, on one of their social media accounts, Metallica said they were going to livestream the entire album for one night only a week before the release. Basically a listening party like record stores used to do back in the day before a new release. I believe it was exclusively for fan club members.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Fair enough!! What do you think of the record? (Not to disregard the rest of your recent listenings of course but Metallica have that special status for many of us.)
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Benvolio wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 21:24 Fair enough!! What do you think of the record? (Not to disregard the rest of your recent listenings of course but Metallica have that special status for many of us.)
I started streaming it Friday morning shortly after I got home from work. I preordered the CD as far back as November or December and got it last night. I like it. I believe the highlights are James' vocals and the lyrics. They seem more personal this time around than previous albums, so it seems like he's singing more from the heart on this album. Of course Metallica is polarizing in the metal community. It appears to be no in betweens. Either metalheads love them or vehemently hate them. No one realistically expects ...And Justice for All Pt.2 or Master of Puppets Pt. 16 etc, but they are still putting out quality music in my opinion, though not everything they do is a masterpiece.

The Infected Rain new release is a live album without any audience, if that makes sense. It was streamed back in 2021 when the pandemic was still going on. Though a lot of restrictions on live shows were lifted, depending on what country or US state you are from, thousands of US and international venues still wouldn't allow live audiences at the time. Several bands just to remember how it feels to be on stage again, and to get out of the house booked empty venues, jammed live without a crowd and streamed the shows onto their social media accounts. With Infected Rain fans highly requested they release this show. The boxset is a 4-disc set. Normally their live shows are only 45-50min, but since they had no bands going on before or after them they played over an hour and a half. Since they wanted to keep the entire show intact, it's released on 2 cd's. The other 2 discs are the DVD and the Blu Ray of the show.

Every album and single I listed in that previous post were all released in 2023. The official releases for Metallica, Infected Rain and Overkill were on April 14th. Due to preordering I got Infected Rain 3-4 days early, Metallica on Saturday and Overkill is supposed to come on Monday.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Well, surprisingly, Guns N' Roses actually managed to release a "new" song. It just dropped recently, and it's called Perhaps. When I say new, I mean it's an unreleased song from Chinese Democracy from 1999 with re-recorded guitar and bass by Slash and Duff respectively. In reality, this song turned up on some discs that were found in a storage locker in 2019 that belonged to a former employee of the band containing recordings from 1999-2001, so the original version of this song has been floating around out there for some time (and yes, I have it along with everything else form the locker). I think it's a good song, but I certainly wouldn't call it any kind of big hit song, and that's OK, not everything has to be an A+ song to be enjoyed.

The absolute trainwreck that transpired in the release of this song was beyond laughable. So the song was supposed to be out on the 11th, got postponed a week, showed up on jukeboxes anyway, gets pulled from them, gets uploaded by the band to Youtube, only for them to accidentally copyright claim their own upload and make it disappear temporarily. But you know what? I'm over that, because they're actually promoting this track and it's gaining traction! It's actually trending and making the rounds! Alongside the song, they released a music video to accompany it (their first original one since 1994) that's also trending!

And to top it off, the next song that's coming is considered the holy grail of the unreleased songs: THE GENERAL! I've heard parts of it, and it's gotta be one of the darkest, moodiest tracks they've ever done, and I sure hope it lives up to the hype it got back in the day. Soon is the word on that one, and I along with all the other crazy fans are super excited to actually happening with this band! Took 'em long enough!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

For new releases I am looking forward to:

Incantation- Unholy Deification
coming 8/25, 3 tracks have been released so far

Stitched Up Heart- To the Wolves
coming 9/1, 3 tracks released

Dying Fetus- Make Them Beg for Death
coming 9/8- 3 tracks released

Cannibal Corpse- Chaos Horrific