Political Thread Discussion

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Political Thread Discussion

Post by Rorie »

This is a thread for political discussion, wherever it is U.S Republicans bashing Democrats, Americans taking out Australians, this is the place for it, but however let's keep it civil to avoid having this thread locked, keenmaster486 suggested I open this, so I am taking his/her advice so now that I set the Rules, Let us continue this discussion from the Ask An American thread but this thread is for politics, the reason I Started The Ask an Australian is also in reply to keenmaster486's thread
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Re: Political Thread Discussion

Post by ScarletFlame »

This can only end well.
RESTING SPACE
EXPLORER FACE
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Ok, so how is it, on the right, that an alliance exists between business interests (Amoral, seeking maximum profit) and religion (Moral, seeking good over mere money)? In my country religion is roughly attached to the right, but not to the right wing party as its love of business tends to oppose moral concerns.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

My question is that if a nation like Indonesia (muslim majority) why does religion have to interfere in politics?, as of now there is a christian governor who was brought down by those who are against him, he is serving a prison sentence for a democratic right in many western nations which is to criticize religion (islam for example) all over some stupid verse in the koran stipulating that Muslims cannot vote for christian politicians, honestly back to my original question, religion should have nothing to do with who a person votes for, if there is a candidate who private citizens think can do a better job, shouldn't they be allowed to vote for them and to vote them out if they feel like there;s someone better?, much as I hate Tony Abbott The Australian Public felt that he could do better than Kevin Rudd and so he became the Prime Minister despite the fact he was fired 2 years later and replaced by Malcolm Turnbull and once again the Liberal Government is un-popular, the trend of revolving Prime Ministers will continue until the next election, till then it will be a race of politics and power until the Australian Public can vote again!
Up yours Fleexy!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

The problem is that politics is, by and large, about beliefs. A lot of political ideology is not so much fact-based as ideals and evidence supporting a position is often highly partisan. Voters often base their vote, their idea of 'who can do better' on things like sex, race, religion and party. And religion, should the voter believe the candidate follows it,dictates a lot of a person's conduct as well as offering perspective on things like poverty of war.

In Indonesia the situation is a complex one. The governor was quite popular but facing criticism from opponents who claimed the Qur'an forbid voting for him. This is one of those 'pick and choose' cases where you can get any religious text to support any position you want. (Or just bull your way through it; 'the curse of Ham' as support for slavery in America was quite popular but barely biblical at all and heavily biased.)

But then he made the mistake of addressing this and what followed was sort of a Hillary Clinton-Deplorables moment where poor phrasing was taken and blown up into an election-defining issue. Immediately everything else was dropped for a saucy story on whether or not the guy had insulted the Qur'an, his attitudes and morals, coverups and assorted nonsense. What should have been a minor concern or trifling legality dominated the news cycle. Political opponents organized protests and bought legal charges and things spiraled on from there.

Basically politics used religion to beat someone over the head. I'm sure it's not relevant to any other countries or elections at all ever.
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-14/s ... ip/8708606

How does a Australian Senator justify that he had no idea that he held dual citizenship for the last 9 years?, Scott Ludlam hid this dirty secret for all this time, he was well aware that he should have renounced his New Zealand Citizenship before entering the Australian Parliament, if he did this then he would not have breached section 44 of the Australian Constitution which clearly states
Any person who -

Is under any acknowledgement of allegiance, obedience, or adherence to a foreign power, or is a subject or a citizen or entitled to the rights or privileges of a subject or citizen of a foreign power
Up yours Fleexy!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Moved at a very young age and was naturalised. It's very easy to not have your citizenship papers - his parents probably destroyed the NZ passport when it expired, assuming he ever needed one.

It's certainly not unheard of, and the way the resignation went down showed there really wasn't a cover up.

Toby Abbott's dual citizenship, however...
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

He abandoned our glorious motherland to wander in a hellscape of venomous kangaroos. He is either insane or a monster and should be taken out and shot.
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

Keening_Product wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:12 Moved at a very young age and was naturalised. It's very easy to not have your citizenship papers - his parents probably destroyed the NZ passport when it expired, assuming he ever needed one.

It's certainly not unheard of, and the was the resignation went down showed there really wasn't a cover up.

Toby Abbott's dual citizenship, however...
At least the former Senator did the right thing when he found out even if it was nearly a decade later!, however he could be made to pay back his entire salary, this could be the consequence of not renouncing his NZ citizenship when he took office, bob day and rod culleton didn't have to so hopefully Scotty is lucky, the finance minister will have to make that call if mr ludlam will have to repay back to the taxpayer

And about Tony Abbott, if he had nothing to hide there he would be truthful about his dual citizenship, that if he does hold two passports, he wouldn't answer questions during his time as PM and even if he is given a second shot of being PM which regardless of who is leader the Liberals are dusted. back to the dual citizenship, Phoney Tony is never honest so therefore he wouldn't answer questions or provide evidence that would implicate himself in anything even if he has breached section 44, if he has then it is only fair that he's repays all of money he has stolen from Australia!
Up yours Fleexy!
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

Levellass wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:40 He abandoned our glorious motherland to wander in a hellscape of venomous kangaroos. He is either insane or a monster and should be taken out and shot.
There used to be a time when we treated New Zealanders like family in Oz, sadly those times have ended, you come over here and you have to wait an entire decade before you can apply for unemployment support, you may as well remain in NZ, where you are guaranteed the support when it is needed
Up yours Fleexy!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Rorie wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 23:49
Levellass wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:40 He abandoned our glorious motherland to wander in a hellscape of venomous kangaroos. He is either insane or a monster and should be taken out and shot.
There used to be a time when we treated New Zealanders like family in Oz, sadly those times have ended, you come over here and you have to wait an entire decade before you can apply for unemployment support, you may as well remain in NZ, where you are guaranteed the support when it is needed
I think that's the idea, certainly the policy isn't in place to ENCOURAGE us.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Interesting somewhat related info: passports as we know them are a rather recent invention. http://www.bbc.com/news/business-40188997

Rorie

Post by Rorie »

Just when you thought that was the end of it, another greens senator resigns over the dual citizenship bungle
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-18/l ... le/8720066
Up yours Fleexy!
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

Levellass wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:22
Rorie wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 23:49
I think that's the idea, certainly the policy isn't in place to ENCOURAGE us.
True we started shortchanging you 2001, I think don't know I always thought we treated New Zealanders equally but apparently not, makes you wish you arrived in Australia before the discrimination started, it ain't like we cannot afford to, Australia is a lot more wealthier than NZ, So I don;t see why?
Up yours Fleexy!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Rorie wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:36 Just when you thought that was the end of it, another greens senator resigns over the dual citizenship bungle
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-18/l ... le/8720066
A more applicable word would be "mistake." Very similar circumstances to Ludlam - moved at very young age, very honest and upfront about it on discovery.