PCKF World Tour

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Re: PCKF World Tour

Post by Fleexy »

Also from Illinois here, I didn't know there were so many Midwestern users! The weather is currently decent, considering that it's winter.
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

It is actually fairly decent in this general area, just hella windy. Lots of rain, too. I'd rather have the rain than the snow though!
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

I'm from Finland and there's slush outside. We've had a couple of pretty lousy winters (snow-cover-wise) in a row now, I really miss downhill skiing :'(
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

it seems a surprisingly high number of people from other countries think we're pretty much drowning in kangaroos, emus, and koalas here. I don't live in a city yet can't think of any time I've seen any of those creatures anywhere near where I live.
Yet only a few hundred kilometers to the east and we find them all over the place around here. Just hit a bloody kangaroo the other day on the way to a job down in South Gippsland. Gotta love their amazing instinct for panicking and leaping from a perfectly safe position on the side of the road directly in front of a hurtling steel box. Did minimal damage to the truck, but the shock still managed to take out both my headlights. It was still about 20 minutes before dawn so I crawled along for a while with the hazards on. Fun times.

I hate it down here these days. Too cold and windy. Too many garg cookie cutter houses (same pretty much everywhere I guess, but the place used to have a bit of character to it). Maybe three months a year of half decent weather--even during summer all we got was an icy Antarctic gale while the rest of Australia was in the middle of a heatwave. After Easter when business quietens down for a while I'm heading north with the caravan to hang around southern Queensland/northern NSW for the winter, with a few trips toward Sydney (mostly surrounding areas, avoiding the actual city as much as possible) and outback SA/NT in between. Hopefully find somewhere decent to move to on a more permanent basis during the next couple of years.

Gippsland is certainly a scenic place and deserving of its reputation in that respect, and there is some reasonable arts culture. But mostly it's just a dead end, quite literally when considering the proportion of people who move here to retire.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Spleen, we have your possums. Please come and pick them up ASAP; they're eating all our greens.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Heh, the dead end comment isn't a bad descriptor in that sense - Gippsland is a pretty dull place for anyone not conservative and/or under 55.

ll, there's a shop in my town which imports possum wool socks from NZ. So in a way we're already taking them back haha.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

Possum...wool?

I want to touch this magical material.

Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

You can make wool from anything you can cut the fur off of. We also sell rabbit wool (Both regular and angora, which are shorn for the public like pint-sized sheep.)

Possum fur\wool makes many fine and interesting products. http://www.silverfernz.com/3702-new-zea ... armers.htm
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

I knew rabbit wool was a thing (and alas I'm highly allergic to it) but I never thought one could make wool off a possum.

By the way, mum is laughing hysterically at that link.

Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

I assume that this might be the place to ask this:

I've noticed by surprise (again) that daylight saving time is around the corner, again. the whole concept of advancing clocks back and forwards doesn't make any sense to me. And I was wondering if any of you guys actually benefits from that strange ritual... and I am also wondering if some of you even live in an area where this just never happens. (some countries don't ever used daylight savings, right?!)
If I remember this correctly only southern Australia uses the daylight saving? so traveling north would make you advancing the clock... that's strange, isn't it?
Last edited by Nisaba on Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:02, edited 1 time in total.
out now (link) : Image
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Iirc, it's to help the agricultural sector and other outdoor industries, but I might be amazingly wrong there. I'll do some googling later as I want to know now haha.

You're on the right track re Australia: on the eastern seaboard the states of Tasmania, Victoria, and New South Wales as well as the Australian Capital Territory observe savings time, while the most northern state of Queensland does not. It's quite contentious up there actually, with some small groups threatening to form a new state (lol, they're verrrry small groups) if Queensland falls in line with the rest of the eastern states. I can't quite remember what the rest of the states and territories do, or what places like Norfolk Island does, but we can have like four or five different time zones active at once we spite only spamming three internationally acknowledged time zone boundary... things.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

Nisaba wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:59 I assume that this might be the place to ask this:

I've noticed by surprise (again) that daylight saving time is around the corner, again. the whole concept of advancing clocks back and forwards doesn't make any sense to me. And I was wondering if any of you guys actually benefits from that strange ritual... and I am also wondering if some of you even live in an area where this just never happens. (some countries don't ever used daylight savings, right?!)
If I remember this correctly only southern Australia uses the daylight saving? so traveling north would make you advancing the clock... that's strange, isn't it?
the only ever benefit i have seen of it have been in WoW, as Dalie timer reset at 3AM
so it resat and then went to 2AM, so you had a whole bonus hour to do all you wanted to do before the real reset.
But with the legion Expansion they changed it to 8AM. so they killed of after 8 years

But aside that no, the number of times that i had missed buses and trains and TV Programs, before i got access to the internet and VoD content of Youtube and the likes, although Streamers stream on sat times, but you can set up a text-Notification for that ;d

But the most silliest of thing is EU and US don't swap Daylight time at the same time, they did around a week and a half ago in USA, so i missed the first hour since i was Skyping with a Friend
and yes, there are Countries like south Korea that don't have daylight saving....

and since in this Digital Age where we in Europe watch Streamers from USA and Korea and other places in the world in Real-time (aside the stream delay of 20~ sec)
and can play MMO's on a server across the world.
why we still have something like Daylight saving is beyond me, it is more outdated then Mail text letters...
at least they don't screw up everything 4 times a year.
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

There is no benefit to DST and quite frankly there never was.

Supposedly it was to give farmers time to be more productive. Farmers are in fact one of the most vocal opposing groups to it. Go fig.

Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I have to get up around 6am, as summer fades this has become before sunrise. The upcomming DST will in essence let me get an hour's extra sleep and not making awakening so tiresome, so I at least see a benefit from it.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

But isn't the reason 6am is so dark at this time of the year because of Daylight Savings? Returning to normal time solves the problem it causes. I would find it easier to get up at garged up hours during the peak summer-autumn season if there was sunlight earlier in the morning and darkness earlier in the night instead of depressingly long sunsets that make it difficult to get into productive no-more-daytime-things-to-do mode before 9pm.

Also I just checked the difference between my location in Victoria and where I would prefer to be around Brisbane. 7:30 sunrise until 6pm sunset here. 6am sunrise until 6pm sunset up there (still in DST here, no DST used there). Fucl this place.