Welcome to the migrated PCKF!

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Re: Welcome to the migrated PCKF!

Post by Roobar »

OK, I really want to change the skin of the forum. Or at least the colors. There must be some ready to apply templates out there. Can you put some skins? They don't necessary must feel keen-ish.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

@Roobar:
Fleex wrote: I would welcome help with CSS.

Nisaba wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2016 0:55 It's been a while but I might still remember some CSS scripting. I'm delighted to help, just pm me.

[...] concerning the logo, what do you guys think about a little change over here as well. don't get me wrong, I love the original style, I really do. but, why not...

Keening_Product wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2016 14:06 I am quite capable with CSS (web design is a part of my jobs), so should be able to answer many questions or make edits for you.

Nisaba wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:06 @Fleex: it seems that the Allan Style - SUBSILVER style is pretty close to what we were all used to. it shouldn't be too hard to manipulate the CSS scripts, to make it look like the old board.
Last edited by Nisaba on Mon Oct 22, 2018 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
out now (link) : Image
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Thank you all for the reminders! I'm currently attending to a series of time-consuming real-life obligations, but I will get on this as soon as I can.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

I haven't forgotten about this; it turns out phpBB CSS is tricky because there are actually a ton of CSS files that get merged into one, then served to the client. Also, caching makes it more challenging.

In other news, I'd like to get the forums HTTPS-only, for everyone's security. If you're not already, please try using the https:// protocol explicitly for a bit. If anything bad happens, let me know. If there are no problems, I'll start auto-redirecting the non-secure version to the secure.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

But it still says it's not secured.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Most people's avatars are served over HTTP, so browsers don't consider the whole page secure. Your credentials, along with the other page contents, are transferred securely.
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

I've been using the https and have had no issues.
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

I was just wondering:
now that everybody is using discord, shouldn't there be an option to update the profit info a link with this social media platform as well?!
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Non-secure requests are now being temporarily redirected to HTTPS both here and on KM. This will continue for a few days, after which I will disable it in case anybody was unable to access the forums. If there are no problems, I will reinstate the redirect as a permanent change.

Adding custom profile fields is possible. Any comments from anyone else on that option?

EDIT: While writing this post, I hit the "no route found" error that some people had mentioned. After some research, I discovered that the cause was some overzealous security rules from my hosting provider, so I asked them about it. They were very helpful and have now disabled the rules in question. It seems that the rules were based on some text found in requests, so more computery-sounding posts were more likely to cause problems. Please let me know if you continue to experience this error. If you can't post anything at all because of it, send an e-mail to my username at the KM domain.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

another forum html link request:

the Board index shows two main categories: COMMANDER KEEN and MISCELLANEOUS. might it be possible to add a third segment with EXTERNAL LINKS where the KeenModding page plus the KeenWiki are located?
the result could look something like this:

• COMMANDER KEEN
    • Official Keen Games
    • Unofficial Keen Games
    • Commander Genius
    • Other Keen Stuff
    • Release Forum
  • MISCELLANEOUS
    • Miscellaneous
    • The Theater
    • The Classics
  • EXTERNAL LINKS
    • Modding
    • Keen Wiki

EDIT:
and we still need a logo
Last edited by Nisaba on Mon Oct 22, 2018 23:00, edited 1 time in total.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

That idea is neat.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

The 302 redirect experiment is over on this domain - did anyone have trouble accessing this forum?

Having an external links section would be neat. Also, now that we're on phpBB 3, I believe we have the option of sub-subforums, so Commander Genius could be placed under Unofficial Keen Games. Would that be a good thing to move? Due to a recent dental procedure, it would be inadvisable for me to use possibly-forum-breaking administration tools at the moment, so I'll have a look back at these suggestions in a few days.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

no problems what so ever over here.

the subforum idea sounds rather nice!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

While CG is the least visited and active part of the forum, where only Gerstrong is writing, it's not a fan game either. My opinion is that CG had its chances to become something all keeners are using, but in the end nobody is really using it and for all those years of development it didn't deliver. I would suggest to just leave it as is, since it's not really bothering anyone.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

well, I wasn't so sure about that. just check the GoogePlay downloads for CG. it says round about 4.000 comments by people who actually downloaded it. and we haven't spoken about the real download number yet. plus you have MacOs + PC versions and so on. so one can only estimate how many people are really interested in this Keen engine.

but never the less, in my opinion it's a good idea to create a subforum for it since it is an unofficial Keen game.