Platformer

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Platformer

Post by DoomJedi »

If I'm making an indie platformer game/engine, what would be the most important advises for such?
I know you here have tons of platformer experience.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Get your jump physics straight. Oh Dear Lord the terrible jump physics... And for crying out loud get people to test the character control regularly New people who haven't had time to get used to the weird way you do things; that way you can be sure they move intuitively.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Dreams
Vortininja

Post by Dreams »

Levellass wrote:Get your jump physics straight. Oh Dear Lord the terrible jump physics... And for crying out loud get people to test the character control regularly New people who haven't had time to get used to the weird way you do things; that way you can be sure they move intuitively.
Great advise, this is the thing I have probably had the most work on with Platformania, and I'm still tweaking it almost every day.

Try to get a designer for your graphics, it will take so much time to do both programming work and graphics work.

Learn how to design exciting levels which tell a story, with small little puzzles and tricks.
Play my sidescroller on Platformania.com!
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Thanks so far, guys :)
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

get some alpha/beta testers around. and if possible with different gameplay experience. this way you can make sure whether or not an idea is working, stringent and enjoyable. organisational blindness is a devil!
out now (link) : Image
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Well, good luck.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Making a game? Or making an engine? Those are two different things. An engine is like an application framework that can be used to make many different games (See godot engine, unity engine, unreal engine 4, etc)

If you just want to make a game and you have no programming experience, try Gamemaker or Construct2. Both of these are editors that let you use visual scripting languages that are designed for making games. If you want something a little more robust, try the Godot Engine or Unity. There are many tutorials in textual and video format for all of these engines.
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

Oh wow, actually I've been considering making a simple game myself, so that's actually good info to know.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

I definitely second Godot. Yet to make much of use with it but it is an extremely solid engine. Plus it's free and open source and runs on all the things. Although the HTML5 export is just a hack running the entire desktop program through Emscripten and runs very slow in my experience. But at least it has browser support in Linux unlike Unity.

Construct always seemed pretty cool and sufficiently cross-platform when I looked into it about one billion ago, but I've lost touch with its progress and never bothered trying it due to a lack of Linux development environment. However, I'm using a more powerful laptop now, so it may be worth attempting under WINE or a VM sometime.