Ask an American!

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.

Is this stupid?

Yes
13%
No
20%
BANANA
67%

Total votes: 15

nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

I wonder what that says about the cup cleanliness of those who've never had microwaved water explode at them.
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

I'd also add that it probably only happens with highly filtered water. (nyuk nyuk, lightly filtered well water; gotta love them minerals) :crazy

I have microwaved water on numerous occasions and never had anything resembling an explosion. Also, I can't tell that much difference between stove/flame heated and microwaved water tbh.
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

nanomekia wrote:I wonder what that says about the cup cleanliness of those who've never had microwaved water explode at them.
Not too much; the biggest problem is for those who don't wash out or dry their cups properly after getting soapy water on them. The soap forms a film on the cup, covering the many cracks and scratches that usually act as nucleation sites for the boiling water. You can also do this with melted butter or cooking oil and prevent such things by scratching your spoon against the cup before boiling the water.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Do all ausies talk like Bubzrulz?
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Re: Ask an American!

Post by Rorie »

I don't understand this at all, When I asked to be permanently banned, I meant I wanted to be permanently banned, my views or behavior will not be changed as a result of this second chance, Celilick was this your doing, you may as well get out the cane and use it on me again, I kept attempting to login in to ensure my banishment is permanent and some smart ass has removed the block, I repeat my behavior will not change as result of this second chance, whoever banned me that being tulip, Flaose or Celick, you have just wasted 5 minutes of your own time removing the block, so you may as well reinstate the block again, because as I said before, I will never give into traitors who are determined to bring Australia down, If it is the Republican Party or Donald Trump, they are both blind as each other refusing to acknowledge the damage that they're doing to the U.S!
Last edited by Rorie on Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:09, edited 1 time in total.
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Rorie wrote:Mortimer McMire:
The arch-nemesis, school rival, and all-around evildoer.
He's masterminded your entire adventure and wants to see the Universe destroyed!
You'll never catch him, but he's out there!
Waiting to see you fail!
out now (link) : Image
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Why do Americans use fitted carpets AND wear shoes indoors (even on couches and beds)? That's the most unhygienic combination I can imagine! Both are awful habits themselves, but together it's just plain disgusting :barf

On a completely different note, things like NASA and NOAA are neat, please don't reduce their funding :(
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

I can't speak for others, but I firmly believe shoes don't belong on couches and beds, and they generally don't belong on our carpets either (unless it's a quick trek across to get to where the shoes are put when not being worn.) :P
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Grimson wrote:Why do Americans use fitted carpets AND wear shoes indoors (even on couches and beds)? That's the most unhygienic combination I can imagine! Both are awful habits themselves, but together it's just plain disgusting
Can't relate, live in shoes off house and run into shoes off houses often.
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

I've always been a "shoes off on the carpet" person.

It's not only unhygienic, it makes it painful to clean and reduces longevity.
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

I came across an American on my travels over Easter here in Australia, he was from Texas and he had spent 1 month on a 6 month working visa and he could not believe how expensive Australia was compared to the U.S, the minimum wage in Texas is only US$7.25 p/h over here it is nearly A$30 p/h, big difference or what?
Up yours Fleexy!
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

Interesting. I didn't know that! Yes, a higher minimum wage will tend to make things more expensive... defeats the purpose a little bit if you ask me.
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

keenmaster486 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 22:59 Interesting. I didn't know that! Yes, a higher minimum wage will tend to make things more expensive... defeats the purpose a little bit if you ask me.
And if you are funding National Health Care (Universal) not Private, you will pay higher taxes which also leads to a higher cost of living, or if you are beyond having a budget surplus in the case of the U.S, you also will pay higher taxes to pay off the country's debt
Up yours Fleexy!
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

You are exactly right.