Obligatory Trump thread (let's keep it civil)

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

Heh. Thanks, 486. :) That really did make me feel a little bit better.
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."
candyjack
Vortininja

Post by candyjack »

Roobar wrote:In the mean time, we can only hope that he won't ignite a nuclear war... My hopes are that he, as a businessmen, will concentrate his efforts in revitalizing the economy of his own country rather than care much abroad. And that will embrace other countries to do the same rather than reading this as a green lit for them to start wars because he is a pussy and he won't stop them.
I don't think it's too big a threat, because of mutual assured destruction. Nuclear war is something everyone wants to avoid (except for people like me, who want everyone dead), so it would probably require something like the Cuban Missile Crisis to happen again, along with Trump's incompetence in dealing with the situation. I don't it's likely that he will actively seek out nuclear war.
Last edited by candyjack on Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:38, edited 1 time in total.
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x].
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Don't be too scared. Just live your life as you have before. You are granted rights by the Constitution just like every other American citizen (assuming you are American - I guess I don't know that for sure) and the minute Trump tries to take away any such right he'll be shut down like you've never seen before.
This. And it will be from many/most of his supporters as well. I think there are legitimate fears about what will happen with Healthcare and some other issues, but a lot of us are hopeful, if not optimistic, about how it'll turn out for all of us.

In Clinton's concession speech she said, "We owe him an open mind and the chance to lead." Obama said, "We are all rooting for his success in uniting and leading the country." You can take those statements with a grain of salt, but they know Trump isn't the maniac they and the media have built him up to be (lets be honest, it's an expected part of the election cycle, Trump and the right did the same to Hillary).
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

nanomekia wrote:I am severely disappointed. Not only that, but I am, quite frankly, terrified, for both myself and my friends.
Mad Mushrooms! I was scarred for my life if Hillary won! to the point where I felt like giving up, throwing in the towel, releasing all my Keen assets (unfinished projects), never play another note on the keyboard, quit both my jobs forever, and running for the hills. Seriously. I even started storing food. And everything still might go to hell, but I do feel a little better because Trump won. I have more hope now. Which is strange! because you feel the same way but at the same time exactly opposite. Okay, maybe that's not so strange. One side has got to be wrong, right? They both can't be right, wrong? :(
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

Hmm, I actually didn't really care that much about the election. Clinton, after all, would just have been four more years of Obama policies. Of course, since I'm a Republican, I'm happy that Trump won and the GOP has control of both houses of Congress, but if that hadn't happened I definitely wouldn't have been devastated. I would've just gone on with my life.
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

I'm willing to hold out hope that this won't be nearly as bad as everything suggests it will. I'd be ecstatic to be proven wrong.

I am however glad that we can all discuss this like civil human beings. :)
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

I won't deny that during the lead up to the election I had some genuine fears for Trump, especially with his temper and outbursts he struck me as rather unstable and it wasn't helped that he seemed to attack and alienate a great deal of social groups.

One thing that struck me about the last couple of weeks was the dissatisfaction between the candidates, it reminded me a lot of the last couple of elections here in Australia and the general feeling of the politicians. Personally I'll be keeping an eye on how things are going in America, notably the party politics, as one of the more disturbing features of our current government is that it itself is a bit unstable as well; since 2007 Australia has had five prime ministers - one PM twice - due to three leadership spills, in the two elections that did take place the leading party seemed to be in a state of political or ideological flux and as a result we've not had a full term PM since John Howard nearly a decade ago. So to the Americans out there I'd say it would be wise to pay close attention to the politicians when they sit in Congress, as boring and pompous as it will appear there's actually a lot of clues about firstly how the politics work and more importantly where the loyalties lie in the parties, factional groups in conjunction with high disapproval provide to best conditions for a leadership spill.

Lastly, while I saw Trump's speech and did indeed notice that the tone and theme was unifying rather than divisive it also strikes me as out of character for Trump. I do sincerely hope that Trump indeed leads the country well as the people put him in the position to do so, but I'm not prepared to believe this sudden change of heart until I see him in action. I'm holding Trump to the same accountability as I did with Kevin Rudd and Tony Abbot when they were elected into power, discounting their election 'promises' and observing only the actions they make when in power. If Trump in the following months and years prevails as what can be construed as a competent leader I'll be satisfied that he has indeed to capabilities to be a President, if however he appears to regress back to his former self I'll declare the Armageddon Clock to be ticking and that the planet Earth has days left to live.

And with that I wish America good luck. :dopekeen I'll shout you all a beer!
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

chrissifniotis wrote:I won't deny that during the lead up to the election I had some genuine fears for Trump, especially with his temper and outbursts he struck me as rather unstable and it wasn't helped that he seemed to attack and alienate a great deal of social groups.

One thing that struck me about the last couple of weeks was the dissatisfaction between the candidates, it reminded me a lot of the last couple of elections here in Australia and the general feeling of the politicians. Personally I'll be keeping an eye on how things are going in America, notably the party politics, as one of the more disturbing features of our current government is that it itself is a bit unstable as well; since 2007 Australia has had five prime ministers - one PM twice - due to three leadership spills, in the two elections that did take place the leading party seemed to be in a state of political or ideological flux and as a result we've not had a full term PM since John Howard nearly a decade ago. So to the Americans out there I'd say it would be wise to pay close attention to the politicians when they sit in Congress, as boring and pompous as it will appear there's actually a lot of clues about firstly how the politics work and more importantly where the loyalties lie in the parties, factional groups in conjunction with high disapproval provide to best conditions for a leadership spill.

Lastly, while I saw Trump's speech and did indeed notice that the tone and theme was unifying rather than divisive it also strikes me as out of character for Trump. I do sincerely hope that Trump indeed leads the country well as the people put him in the position to do so, but I'm not prepared to believe this sudden change of heart until I see him in action. I'm holding Trump to the same accountability as I did with Kevin Rudd and Tony Abbot when they were elected into power, discounting their election 'promises' and observing only the actions they make when in power. If Trump in the following months and years prevails as what can be construed as a competent leader I'll be satisfied that he has indeed to capabilities to be a President, if however he appears to regress back to his former self I'll declare the Armageddon Clock to be ticking and that the planet Earth has days left to live.

And with that I wish America good luck. :dopekeen I'll shout you all a beer!
Yeah and give Tony Abbott another shot of being PM?, No Thanks, Australia needs stable government or our prized AAA credit rating is likely to be downgraded, we don't and cannot afford any more Prime Ministers not elected before elections, when people vote for candidates they expect them to serve their full term, 3 years, 4 years whatever, when people vote they expect democracy!
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Not only did The Simpsons predicted Trump winning, they even got the the electoral map right.

lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Roobar wrote:Not only did The Simpsons predicted Trump winning, they even got the the electoral map right.
lol, except for Iowa, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and MIchigan and Ohio...
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

Yeah, except with the Simpsons map Trump loses:
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

You have to hand it to Al Jean and them lot, they got really close to getting it exactly right.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

So Trump, Brexit: that's all history repeating itself. That means we are only looking at the present, not the past and future.

History Tells Us What Will Happen Next With Brexit And Trump:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tobias-st ... 79774.html?
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

chrissifniotis wrote:You have to hand it to Al Jean and them lot, they got really close to getting it exactly right.
Several of them have PHDs, and it's not that hard to predict how a state will vote, this isn't one guy, it's a demographic.

Also, tip of the hat to Nate Silver, lot of people said he was fluffing his figures to drum up clicks.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

Wow, that's a really good article.

[EDIT]
Levellass wrote:Several of them have PHDs, and it's not that hard to predict how a state will vote, this isn't one guy, it's a demographic.
Oh I know many of the staff there are very intelligent, but I haven't seen that in particular so it actually is a wonder to me. :o
Anyway, getting back on topic...