DunMash

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

DunMash

Post by Nospike »

Edit: CURRENT VERSION: v0.4

Hey guys! I've been re-learning Pascal as part of my programming course at school. Since I still, miraculously enough, remember the basics from my mindless screwing around about 6 to 7 years ago, I've got a bit of a headstart with the language and thus have decided to create an actual game this time. Programming is insanely fun! I want to learn C++, but the time has not yet come. I shall master Pascal first.
I made a little game called DunMash. Well, it's not really a GAME yet, still working on most of the gameplay features. But the code base is there and the game seems to be working pretty seamlessly. (that is, until some clueless poor soul opens the source :o I'm still very, very new to programming and I write a lot of spaghetti code that does work well as of now but is super unwieldy.)
It's pretty much a text-based clicker game, think Cookie Clicker, but I'm aiming to branch out in a different direction as I churn out more and more features.
Get it here: dropbox link
If you care, you can get the very first "v0.1" mockup here: dropbox link It advertises the asset menu as a feature, but doesn't actually have it, sorry. It's a very rough proof of concept thing. I was just happy I managed to get my first ever actual game loop working. Version 0.2 runs much smoother with (hopefully) zero flickering thanks to no clrscr. This is just for comparison.

Some known concerns/planned features so far:
More gameplay (duh)
Make framerate adjustable to help people whose game still flickers
Add special upgrades
Add more spicy humor (already in the works, oh boy)
Optimize code
Add dat glorious commandline eyecandy
Find out what dun is

If you've got any questions, critique or ideas, shoot away! Have fun mashing out some dun! :p
Last edited by Nospike on Tue Nov 01, 2016 21:10, edited 2 times in total.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

DunMash v0.3 is FINALLY here after a long wait of... 4 days! Lots of changes to be seen! :birthday
Get it here: dropbox link

For the first time in the brief history of DunMash, v0.3 introduces UPGRADES, along with even more Assets for you to play with! Now that there's actual gameplay, you have an incentive to progress through the game! Can you unlock all six upgrades? Can you restrain yourself from laughing at the corny jokes? Can you discover the meaning of dun? See for yourself!

There's a changelog as well with a more detailed and, well, serious description of the changes. I may have omitted something minor, but considering the kind of game v0.2 and v0.1 were, this update is everything but minor. :p

As usual, suggestions and comments very, very welcome!
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Mash ALL the Dun! Which are totally not like living potatoes... Really...
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I'm back one more time,
introducing... DunMash v0.4!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/msxjuukufmyqi ... 4.zip?dl=0

This is probably the last update for a good while. I'm trying as hard as I can to move away from Pascal for good and only use it for school assignments. Currently focusing on learning C++ as my primary language and, well... I'm a sucker for TUIs, but creating those in C++ is a b***h and I don't really want to use any massive outside libraries such as ncurses.

With that, I include the source this time so that you can have some lulz reading through my atrocious code. :p It's bad, it's very bad. Nearly everything I know about programming or Pascal, I have learned through creating this game.
Note: the code has been tampered with since the included executable was built. I do remember I was trying to implement a relatively complex feature called Ritual Dance - an upgrade that would randomly trigger and prompt the player to press certain keys in a randomly generated order within a time limit to earn massive amounts of dun if successful. This was never finished, however.
To put it shortly, I'm releasing it as-is - like it or not! :p At the very least, it compiles.

Changelog for version v0.4 is included, complete with the date I last touched this thing. Gameplay-wise, there are four really sweet new Assets for you to maximize that dunfficiency along with two extra Upgrades to really push it past the point of no return! Mash that space key! Go nuts!!

What to expect:
- Game balance that just screams "Nospike".
- Traditional DunMash humor of the toilet variety.
- Pretty colors.
- Over 1100 lines of immensely obfuscated Pascal code (all stuffed into one file) to laugh at.
- Not updates nor the truth behind dun.

That's all, folks. I hope some of you give it a shot and have tons of fun doing so. :) Hopefully one day I'll get to rewrite this whole thing! We'll see.