DNA, aliens and cubic Earth

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.

What would you choose?

DNA database in order to survive
57%
No DNA database because it's bad thing, prefer to die from cubic Earth
43%

Total votes: 7

SupFanat
Vortininja

DNA, aliens and cubic Earth

Post by SupFanat »

So, let's talk about hypothetical scenario.
What would happen if aliens contacted with Earth and gave us a clear deadline: we must make global human genome database until January 1, 2018, otherwise they will turn Earth to a cube? And they also converted some other planet to a cube to prove us that they're not joking and they really have such capacity. And we couldn't just bomb their extremely powerful devices since our bombs would be too weak to damage such devices - we would have to choose one of two options.

Would we do the thing which aliens required us to do? Would we manage to do it until their deadline? Or would we be too late?

Would we accept such deal at all or would we insist that DNA database is "invasion of privacy" and prefer to die, just to avoid this horrific database?

I personally would vote for DNA database in order to survive. I would also start collecting all possible garbage I find on my way and giving it to the laboratory to increase the chance we'll survive.

What are your opinions about it?
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

"Oh no, it's the telemarketer aliens! They've come for my personal information!"

Was this question inspired by Bender's Big Score?
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

It would be impossible to make it for such a short time. Even if we do, such aliens will make the earth cubical anyway because they're bastards.
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

So why do we care if the earth is a cube? We can still walk on it. There would be unpredictably different weather patterns though. On the other hand, the actual conversion process would probably kill everyone due to causing sudden pressure changes and super-hurricane winds.
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

If you're talking a database as in a complete, 10% coverage of all living humans, sequenced, that's not going to happen. We can try, but we'll be cubed.

Also, you are educated dumb. ~Timecube.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Levellass wrote:If you're talking a database as in a complete, 10% coverage of all living humans, sequenced, that's not going to happen.
I thought that the $1,000 genome was nearly a reality.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Total bill then around 6 trillion dollars, maybe triple adding in other expenses. Assuming you can track *everyone* down and they're willing to be added AND you can organize the earth to do this.

Imagine telling Iran you need gene samples from all their population because aliens. Or North Korea, or Russia... No chance, no chance.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.