Alternative web browsers

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Alternative web browsers

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I have had an epiphamy that, as long as firefox remains popular, it will not be immune to the malware, infections, and explosions that plague Chrome and (lol) internet explorer. I have come to the conclusion that the only way to beat the trojan horses and hackers is to do what the linux users did by using an obscure platform they're not prepared to care about figuring out how to send zombie viruses to.

I am currently experimenting with Pale Moon, Websurf, and Seamonkey. Websurf had so much lightweight speedy promise, but the lack of javascript is a crippling blow to it. Pale moon seems okay. Seamonkey supposedly has a built in IRC-like chat thingy (I think?) but I haven't been bothered to find it.

What do you guys recommend? 8)
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

1.lynx/links
With a bit of scripting and configuration editing, you can even watch youtube videos with it! :dopekeen

2. tor-browser
Gotta keep yourself anonymous for all those illegal activities! (lol), also that's where I host my stuff because I'm lazy (although iirc sharing your .onion address via the regular web completely defeats the purpose) Just to be clear though, it's just a customized firefox

3. curl/wget
Um... yeah... nah...

in all seriousness, I just use firefox with adblocker and noscript(I turn it on/off depending on where I go)
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
candyjack
Vortininja

Post by candyjack »

Are there any documented cases where Firefox installs malware onto the OS?

If you're already using GNU/Linux, I don't think you have to worry too much as long as you take caution in what extensions you install (and as long as you get them from addons.mozilla.org, you should be fine). If you're on Windows, I guess that strategy makes sense, although you could also disable harmful plugins with extensions like NoScript (you can leave Javascript enabled and use it just to block other scripts).

Security on Windows honestly seems like a moot point to me (for various reasons), but if you really want to avoid harm by turning to obscure software, you might want to make sure the browser isn't based on Firefox. Pale Moon and Torbrowser are. Perhaps check out K-Melon?
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x].
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I've had a bit of a play with Vivaldi - made by the people who made Opera before Opera became like every other browser. It's built on webkit like the modern Opera and other browsers are, but has aspirations to be like the Opera of old. https://www.vivaldi.com/
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
candyjack
Vortininja

Post by candyjack »

Ah, the Opera of old. Now that was a pleasant experience.
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x].
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

19-month update:

I went back to Chrome not long after my last post in this thread, but last month switched back to Vivaldi because I was getting sick of Chrome's weight. Vivaldi is now pleasant to use as a daily driver, and if you haven't used it in a while or at all I recommend giving the latest version a shot.

If you like Chrome's extensions then I have good news: most work with Vivaldi.

Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I'm using Vivaldi right now. Love the design and the speed, it's got everything I could possibly want from a browser. If only there was a simpler way to get h.264 working with it on Debian... :bloody
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

I hear there's something called openSUSE or Ubuntu which could help you there ;) (I'm using Windows these days - back when I made my original Vivaldi post I was using SUSE and noticed no codec silliness.)

There are only two things which have irked me so far on Windows: the inability to drag tabs into a new window (you have to right click > open in new window and then wait for the page to reload), and having to enter a URL to access saved passwords.

Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

SUSE? Ubuntu? What am I, some kind of casual? :p /s

I suppose I can always run Firefox if I REALLY need to watch a HQ/HTML5 video. If I don't, well then, at least I waste less time watching random stuff like I always do. :o
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

went many years using the Norwegian Opera browser. but ever since they sold big parts of the company to a Chinese consortium, one must orientate oneself.
Nospike wrote:I'm using Vivaldi right now.
out now (link) : Image