OFF TOPIC THREAD: Where derailing the thread is impossible!

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

OFF TOPIC THREAD: Where derailing the thread is impossible!

Post by Lava89 »

Is there a way to divert off-topic chatter, like move posts that are off-topic detours to maybe a thread designed for off-topic stuff? (such as this thread)

I've seen mods on other forums do it before (like say a topic starts about scrap-booking, then someone makes a political statement which causes the conversation to focus around that...the mods will make a new thread called something like "political off-shoot thread from scrap-booking thread").

I remember there was a separate thread for religious topics, but I don't think it works unless an off-topic conversation starts organically and its just transplanted elsewhere so it can continue.

I mean, the mods could always delete the off topic stuff, but then you'd probably have a riot on your hands. I feel this is a good compromise-- it keeps the conversation going without disrupting perfectly legitimate topics.
Last edited by Lava89 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 23:05, edited 8 times in total.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

That's what the Cereal Board was originally for (link in my Sig)...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

DHeadshot wrote:That's what the Cereal Board was originally for (link in my Sig)...
True, but have there been any PCKF conversations transplanted there so they can continue?

And even if there has been...I'm not sure if the transition to the new thread could be all that fluid being that its a separate forum (with separate membership).
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

I found this ad in a comic today.

Does anyone else use bottled water as a cure for boredom?
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

I use sleep.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

the pckf is slowly turning into an orwellian society Image
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Oh you mean like this one thread we derailed and was split into a new thread?
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

There's a very simple solution to this that doesn't require intervention from moderators: if you're reading a thread and want to say or discuss something off topic to that thread, you create a new thread to discuss it. If you don't think your off topic comment warrants a new thread, then it probably doesn't warrant being said at all.

Here's another thing to keep in mind when it comes to being off-topic: whenever you read the latest post in a thread and are about to reply, stop and consider the original topic of that thread, the person who started it and what they may have hoped to share or accomplish with that thread. Impulsively posting something in response to the last person who posted in a thread without reflecting on the thread as a whole is rude and egocentric.

This isn't an official rule yet, but perhaps it should be: It's only okay for threads to wonder off topic if the starter of the thread is a participant in the changing subject. People who still want to discuss the original topic can create a new thread.

Lava89 wrote:Is there a way to divert off-topic chatter, like move posts that are off-topic detours to maybe a thread designed for off-topic stuff? (such as this thread)
We can split existing topics, but cannot move or merge posts into existing topics.

The only way this would work is if members of the forum are capable of the self discipline necessary to post their off topic messages here and link to the threads they are responding to, which is messy.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Ah ok, thanks Ceilick! Feel free to delete this thread (unless you want to keep the new rule up) or delete this post, but lock the thread so your response is the last post, in case this idea comes up again and needs to be referenced back to this thread.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Eh, if it provides a place for people to get their ya-yas out without disrupting others, which it seemed was in part your intent, I'm willing to leave it open.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

DHeadshot wrote:That's what MY NEW GAME DIRK DASHING was originally for (link in my Sig)...
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Paramultart wrote: I'm not so much a troll so much as I just don't give a damn about my reputation, and neither should any of you.
I am sick of people who take themselves seriously, both on the internet and in real life. Anyone who added me on Facebook should have concluded by now that I am just as flawed, vulgar, and nonsensical in real life as I am on these forums, so I'm not just some bored nerd going around antagonizing people or acting like an idiot for gargs and giggles. (As fun as that can be)
I don't hold very many strong convictions because I realize that most things are subjective and trivial, and I can usually see pretty clearly from both sides. I don't know, maybe caring what people think about you or wanting people to value your opinion is one of those things people with self-respect do, but I certainly have no interest in either of those things. I'm just trying to enjoy the time I have left here.
I know exactly how you feel, one time I wrote a 5 page essay about how I didn't care what people thought of me.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

I used to feel that way, until I realized that most of my "facts" about reality were wrong. Even if some things are subjective, most things are not subjectively equal. It takes a lot of work to do research and evaluate both sides of an issue, but I do wish more people took the time to learn how google actually worked (not that anyone here has that problem).
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

It's like that Asimov quote: "When people thought the earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Lava89 wrote: I know exactly how you feel, one time I wrote a 5 page essay about how I didn't care what people thought of me.
I don't see anything ironic about that.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"