OFF TOPIC THREAD: Where derailing the thread is impossible!

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Re: OFF TOPIC THREAD: Where derailing the thread is impossible!

Post by Rorie »

nanomekia wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 16:00 Aye, it would be quite nice to be in a country that actually cares about its residents...not that I'm going down without a fight mind you, I'm too bloody stubborn for that. I can at least give life a few good kicks in the...teeth.
Glad to hear that you won't give up without a fight, I was not born in the U.S, I was lucky to have been born in Australia, I have lived here my whole 33 years, and even though I have visited Hawai'i the 50th U.S State and despite the fact I found the state to be a beautiful place and the locals very nice caring people, mind you the police and airport authorities are not so friendly and are too serious about their work, none the wise I still call Australia home, which also happens to be a name of a song, which Is very patriotic towards where I call home, I happened to find it on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OCKXLXWNXg
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

Keening Product, what happened to your signature? I remember the quote there used to be hilarious. Now it's gone.

What was it again?

Oh wait...

wait...

I see what you did there
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

Receiving a bonus from work, for the 10th year in a row, I have only been working for my employer for 6 out of those 10 years, my workplace made a profit and so for my hard work I am being rewarded, except only problem is whom which I don't have a problem with is reporting it to centrelink (yes I am on welfare and so I have to declare any additional income to the commonwealth) last time I reported it via the internet.

I thought it would get noticed, big mistake!, they overpaid me and I had to pay back a debt that wasn't my fault, so when I receive the pay slip I will be going straight to the centrelink office and reporting it to a real person and getting a date stamp for proof, stupid thing is that taxpayers are paying for the online government portal and centrelink ignores it anyway, so why are they paying for something that's not being used?, I know that the do gooders will try to talk me into using the computers falsely claiming that I won't be penalized garg!.

last time I did it over the computers that's exactly want happened, so never again will I believe the uneducated workers at centrelink who will try and avoid responsibly by attempting to cut corners, 18 years ago they tried to force onto a payment that wasn't the disability pension claiming that I had to wait a period of time before I'd come eligible they were wrong, we had the evidence that I was entitled to the DSP, in the end i got it but the stupid girl who served us, just would not listen I'd hope in the last 18 years, she has had a realization that she learnt to understand disabled people better by not judging them as dole bludgers!

I only make A$82.50 a week, I cannot get normal work because of my disability, I am working at an disabled employment, I am trying to make something of my life, yes I do not pay tax, but I am saving the country a lot of money by not being a client in the disabled day programs, I have been there and it is no fun at all, they treat you stupid and give you no rights or freedom, even going to the toilet, they want to know where you are all the time!
Up yours Fleexy!
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

Disability payment's a right bugger isn't it Rorie? I'm on what's basically the US version of that (except for the fact they don't bloody consider me to have been "disabled" long enough to get the actual "disability" payment, so I'm on "assistance" instead - tbh it's probably the better option, this stuff isn't taxed and disability is - but where do they get off telling me there's not enough proof that I was disabled before age eighteen - bah I say!) and ugh, the hassles I have had with this. First one was trying to even get on it at all - the state I lived in at the time was notoriously bad for this sort of thing - then I FINALLY get it shortly before we move to a different state, get all my info etc transferred over to this state's Social Security minions, except they kick me right back off at six months because "no one did the review to make sure you really do qualify for this" and you can only be on assistance six months if you've not got that review. Okay, fine...enter the numerous appointments with government-sponsored disability doctors who were all basically smegging quacks, enter my health being so terrible from all the stress that I ended up in hospital the day I was supposed to have my final appointment before a decision was made (let me tell you, it's not exactly pleasant waking up in hospital to find out you MISSED your seriously important appointment due to a seizure so bad your mum had to ring for an ambulance) and when they finally reschedule me it's not till FOUR BLOODY MONTHS later.

Thankfully we got some competent government minions at last, they agreed I really do need the assistance, so I got it back and was finally able to apply for the insurance that keeps me alive and that our orange menace in office now wants to rip right out from under my bloody feet.

Yes, I'm a bit cranky about that.
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Hi guys! Been a little while since I checked in.

In recent news, my family and I have moved and things are still a bit crazy around here. We don't have our own internet set up yet (I'm at the library right now) so getting on PCKF is a bit tricky.

Now for the bad news. It seems my poor laptop has contracted a terrible virus and is in quarantine until something can be done. This means all my Keen projects-- graphics I've been doing, mod files, etc.-- are all inaccessible and possibly infected.
I'm confident it should be possible to save most if not all of my files. Thanks to learning how to patch I know how to use a hex-editor (Levellass your tutorial is once again awesome) so if nothing else I could manually remove viruses from files. Plus I know some other computer geeks (besides myself 8)), so between all of us we should be able to eradicate it. The question is just how long it'll take. With all the extra business we have going on right now, it could be a little while.

Okay, see you next time I have a chance to get on. :)
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

nanomekia wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 17:34 Disability payment's a right bugger isn't it Rorie? I'm on what's basically the US version of that (except for the fact they don't bloody consider me to have been "disabled" long enough to get the actual "disability" payment, so I'm on "assistance" instead - tbh it's probably the better option, this stuff isn't taxed and disability is - but where do they get off telling me there's not enough proof that I was disabled before age eighteen - bah I say!) and ugh, the hassles I have had with this. First one was trying to even get on it at all - the state I lived in at the time was notoriously bad for this sort of thing - then I FINALLY get it shortly before we move to a different state, get all my info etc transferred over to this state's Social Security minions, except they kick me right back off at six months because "no one did the review to make sure you really do qualify for this" and you can only be on assistance six months if you've not got that review. Okay, fine...enter the numerous appointments with government-sponsored disability doctors who were all basically smegging quacks, enter my health being so terrible from all the stress that I ended up in hospital the day I was supposed to have my final appointment before a decision was made (let me tell you, it's not exactly pleasant waking up in hospital to find out you MISSED your seriously important appointment due to a seizure so bad your mum had to ring for an ambulance) and when they finally reschedule me it's not till FOUR BLOODY MONTHS later.

Thankfully we got some competent government minions at last, they agreed I really do need the assistance, so I got it back and was finally able to apply for the insurance that keeps me alive and that our orange menace in office now wants to rip right out from under my bloody feet.

Yes, I'm a bit cranky about that.
Yes being on benefits even if you're disabled or unemployed is a bugger, anyways the bonus I received this morning was an amount of A$1350, part of that is being spent on glasses, and the rest I don't know yet, but whatever is left could be to accumulate interest or even maybe put into superannuation for my retirement, I haven't had my eye exam appointment yet that is not until next week but knowing the money's there, I can buy outright and the exam I can get that bulk billed to the commonwealth as a I have a concession and Medicare card, so the only thing I will have to pay for is the glasses and it is possible that the frames I buy could be subsided the lens cannot be discounted
Up yours Fleexy!
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

Nice, I desperately need new glasses but I really cannot afford the $600 the lenses alone are going to cost (yes, my vision's that bad) and while Medicaid does offer vision benefits I've literally never had vision good enough to be able to take advantage of the utter garg they offer. I've got my last couple pairs of glasses online but my eyes are officially bad enough I can't have the right lens made strong enough unless I go to an actual optical shop so I'm rather buggered.

I can do contacts - they're just also bloody expensive and I also have to go straight out of pocket for those - not to mention I'd still need a decent pair of glasses as backup anyway, blergh.

Rorie

Post by Rorie »

nanomekia wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 20:50 Nice, I desperately need new glasses but I really cannot afford the $600 the lenses alone are going to cost (yes, my vision's that bad) and while Medicaid does offer vision benefits I've literally never had vision good enough to be able to take advantage of the utter garg they offer. I've got my last couple pairs of glasses online but my eyes are officially bad enough I can't have the right lens made strong enough unless I go to an actual optical shop so I'm rather buggered.

I can do contacts - they're just also bloody expensive and I also have to go straight out of pocket for those - not to mention I'd still need a decent pair of glasses as backup anyway, blergh.
I have kertaconus and my eyes are misshaped so badly that I can't do contact lenses, neither can I be bothered to replace them every single day and I have been advised to not even bother using contact lenses, I am sorry that you live in a greedy country that takes advantage of the disabled and sick if you were an Australian you would get taken care of immediately instead of being in a nation where wealth is king and the credit card balance determines what care you receive, I really feel sorry for you mate in ways I have no other words to say
Up yours Fleexy!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

proYorp wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 21:50 Now for the bad news. It seems my poor laptop has contracted a terrible virus and is in quarantine until something can be done. This means all my Keen projects-- graphics I've been doing, mod files, etc.-- are all inaccessible and possibly infected.
It would be quite some virus if it knew how to infect Keen mods.

Extract the files to a flash drive via a Linux live image once you have the ability to download such things. Check over the files of anything obviously weird. Once you have everything, reinstall whichever OS you had originally and you'll probably be fine to put your files back. If it's immediately reinfected you at least have the files on the flash drive and you can do some more careful reviewing in Linux.

If you're running Windows 10, use the built-in antivirus or Quick Heal. Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro, AVG, and Avast free are all probably worse than the built-in system.

*I'm assuming not Linux. If it was Linux then... I dunno, it just doesn't sound like a Linux infection.

keenmaster486 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 18:22 I see what you did there
The effect isn't quite what it used to be now the boards are a different colour.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

and if you should have no idea how to use a Linux live image, just ask Keen_Product. (btw, it's really simple!)
out now (link) : Image
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

And so I receive my pay slips after work take the bus to the nearest centrelink office, not busy hooray normally they're busy as and try to pass you off, but in this case went there, was not pushed onto the computers which was my fear, last time I used computers to report income was penalized and made to pay back the overpayment, this time was lucky, and had the nicest lady serve me and not judge me on the debt that I owed, got the weekly pay and once off bonus recorded, had the documents photocopied, dated and signed in case centrelink accuses me again, I got the proof so this time I hopefully will not be penalized and made to pay money back, normally every other day you are served by staff who hate their jobs and take it out on centrelink clients whom is not their fault they're on benefits and are looking for work or cannot work, or also not receive enough income that they can apply for assistance, some people accuse us of being bludgers or receiving a handout, when there is nothing wrong with doing so
Up yours Fleexy!
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

I'm officially a redhead again.

I was hoping it'd look more unnatural than it does, but eh, it's not unpleasant and ought to still be quite blinding in the sun.

MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Nisaba wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 21:39 and if you should have no idea how to use a Linux live image, just ask Keen_Product. (btw, it's really simple!)
I made a work flashdrive for m'self that has some trimmed recovery linux's as well as the windows 10 PE, both loaded with random antiviruses and other such tools. It's quite handy and dandy
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Started my new part-time but long-term job today. Man, these grandiose life achievements just keep coming and coming! :D
I'm an assistant PHP programmer. It's actually nothing too glamorous at all, just do the ugly, boring stuff the other guys don't want to bother with and try and learn as much as I can. But since I'm still an 18 year old high school student, actually working as a programmer in a serious company makes me feel like I've won the lottery. I think I'm going to have a good time here, and good support when I leave town to study computer science at uni.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

That's great to hear Nospike-- once you're liked in the company, be sure to do a fair amount of networking at the company so you can hit people up for a reference if you should ever try to get a job somewhere else.

Not to be cynical about your relationships with people (i.e. trying to get something out of people), it's just that solid references are some of the hardest things to get as I have found in applying for jobs lately.