OFF TOPIC THREAD: Where derailing the thread is impossible!

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Re: OFF TOPIC THREAD: Where derailing the thread is impossible!

Post by Keening_Product »

Nospike wrote:personally I'm a huge fan of developers putting themselves into places you wouldn't expect
Surprisingly, Hover! is a strong example of that: https://youtu.be/OtOfpUm4i2I
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Any of you guys use Codewars? (link to muh profile for no particular reason)
I think it's really neat, great for practicing languages both new and old. The community seems pretty huge and there's plenty of interesting exercises to do, not to mention the sheer number of supported languages. If you want to learn programming or even just practice what you already know, give it a shot, it's worth it. :)
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

Huh, that looks oddly intriguing. I may have to give it a prod or two.

Randomly: anyone ever have an SSD go "nope I'm dead" on them and then randomly resurrect 24 hours later like nothing ever happened? Cause uh. Mine did exactly that. Dead in the water, wasn't recognized as even existing by the computer (I tested the cables; they were fine), I pop it onto a USB to SATA adapter to see if I can pull files off it and it isn't even getting power. The next day I try it on the adapter again, because I want to yell at it and shame it some more...and it comes right to life, happily lets me pull the necessary files and is chuffed to take a new Windows install and work again. How the bloody hell did that even happen.

I'm still going to be side-eyeing it until I can get the brand new SSD running as main - need a longer SATA cable and hopefully I have enough ports - so I can relegate the resurrected idiot to a backup/game drive.
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

I love it how we keep discovering more and more advanced features in even the simplest of organisms. It wasn't that long ago when people thought of fish as barely living (and some still do), and now we know many most common fish species are actually pretty intelligent and can into feels.

What I'm obviously getting at, is that maybe the Dopefish are actually pretty dope! We know they're efficient predators, and predation usually requires complex mental aptitude. It's just somewhat pareidolic for us to perceive the Dopefish as "dumb" due to its large buckteeth and goofy eyes. Not to mention the burping behaviour, which is probably just a way of preventing gas/water accumulation in the gut. Totally not overthinking it 8)

Act now! End the oppression of Dopefish!
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

On the other hand crustaceans give us some odd results, they can feel pain but will happily amputate a leg if it's only slightly damaged.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Doesn't even have to be damaged, I recall at least one crab species declawing themselves in order to fool predators with the detatched, twitching limb. The crabs are able to regenerate those limbs after molting several times. It has been suggested that crabs that perform autotomy (self-declawing) may not experience pain from the procedure, but manual declawing evidently inflicts a stress response in the crabs.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Hey there fellow Linux master racers! This might seem like humblebrag, but I managed to install Gentoo successfully yesterday and I have to say it seems pretty superb so far. If you want a really open,fast system that's entirely under your control (and has the coolest package manager of all time), don't be afraid! The handbook on the Gentoo wiki is super helpful and guides you through the installation step by step. Setting it up isn't hard at all - the hard part is waiting out the compilation times the first time around... :o Stuff like LLVM can take hours, no kidding.
And if you don't feel up to configuring your kernel by hand, there's an official utility that will do that for you and install all the drivers you might need with just a little bit of space and an intangible speed loss as a tradeoff. No danger involved.
Overall, I'm pretty much decided to install Gentoo again the next time I need a clean OS somewhere. :p

Code: Select all

sudo emerge cowsay && cowsay "This is neat!"
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

@Nospike:
Ah... this sounds pretty interesting. On what kind of hardware are you running this organic & advanced distribution? And have you used Arch beforehand?
Most Gentoo users claim that it isn't hard at all installing it and setting everything up. but too be honest, it looks kind of frightening to me...
So, what kind of requirements/skills are needed in you experience?

ps.: I'm still struggling with my i3 setup and this is only a wm...
out now (link) : Image
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Only a VM as of now, but I'm likely getting a rather old (2008 or something) laptop to tinker with soon so I'm going to install it there as well if that happens. I've never used Arch before, no. My daily driver is a desktop running Debian stable, a mistake which I don't intend to repeat. (The system is great, but trying to get recent software like i3-gaps... UGH)
The thing with Gentoo installs is that you don't *have to* set up literally everything yourself. There are very sane default settings on most stuff and every single step of the process is well documented. Even the more complicated parts like partitioning or kernel configuration. Best thing is, once you get past the partitioning process and into chroot, anytime something bad happens, you can easily start over and learn from your mistakes. Recompiling the kernel is a thing and honestly really doesn't take that long compared to some large user-level software suites.
I have practically zero actual Linux skill, all I can do is follow a well written manual. :P No need to be afraid. Pretty sure I still couldn't install Gentoo again by memory without the guide, but after a few installs I probably could.

As for i3... you'll get there soon enough. :P i3 is pretty easily configured, some other WMs that are configured inside a C header file are much worse.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

((something something Linux Adventures thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1430&start=90 ))
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Off topic getting derailed to Linux? That's my kind of thread :P
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

In Soviet PCKF, Linux derails you. :P
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

You're actually beginning to derail every other possible topic with linux garg... :x It's time to stop! This is not a linux forum!
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Come on, there's no large scale derailment at all. The most recent couple pages of "linux" search results only really show about three threads with any major Linux discussion of which two are actually dedicated to the subject, and the third thread is this one.