Account Activation

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Ceilick
The Dude

Account Activation

Post by Ceilick »

It's come to my attention that new users aren't receiving emails for activating their accounts, both here and on Keen Modding. Private messages don't seem to be sending email notifications anymore either. I'm not sure how to solve this, probably need to contact Andy about it.

In the meantime if you are a new user and have this problem, please email me or one of the other moderators and we'll activate your account.

Edit: 3 Year buuuump :old So this is still an issue for some folks. If your account is having problems, forget your password, etc, email an admin with your info.
Last edited by Ceilick on Wed Mar 19, 2014 15:24, edited 2 times in total.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Re: Account Activation

Post by kuliwil »

Ceilick wrote:It's come to my attention that new users aren't receiving emails for activating their accounts, both here and on Keen Modding. Private messages don't seem to be sending email notifications anymore either. I'm not sure how to solve this, probably need to contact Andy about it.

In the meantime if you are a new user and have this problem, please email me or one of the other moderators and we'll activate your account.
I had some issues posting just before, too. Something about post type not selected when I was replying.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

post type not selected is a common error which means the session you had typed your message in timed out. copy paste the message text in a fresh post a reply window and it should work.

I'm more concerned about the email issue. I activated one or two members by hand too lately. Plus I don't get any replies from andy, neither if I email him nor if I pm him. It feels stupid because every goddamn twitter user seems to be able to contact him, and I don't intend to get an account there just to contact him. So if anyone with a twitter account could please nudge him that he at least checks his mails/pms it would be a bit easier to get to solve this. This is not fun anymore, so steer him over here, so we can work on this situation.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

i think he said something about stuff like this flying into his spam box.

maybe commander keen's email idea isn't crazy, we just make a little email account, get adurdin to prevent messages from that account from getting into his spambox, and use that whenever someone wants their account activated.

maybe.
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
adurdin
Grunt

Post by adurdin »

Tulip--I did receive an email from you, but my reply to you was bounced, with an error about the SPF being invalid. I checked it at the time and it looked correct, but I'll check it again Edit: looks OK, so I'll try sending you another message, hope it's not rejected. This was when Xky was asking me to set you up as admin on K:M, which I did. I asked Xky to pass that on to you after my email bounced.

Edit: The mail daemon on the server died ages ago. I'm not sure why yet. And as the only notifications I've got on the server are by email, I obviously didn't get one for this :(

It's running again now, but I'll see if I can find out why it stopped.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Woo, thanks Andy :)

Also, phpbb upgrade :disguised
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

:disguised wrote:Also, phpbb upgrade
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Well...account activation still seems to not be working...or broke again? Anyway, new users, email me or Tulip about activating your accounts.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Did you receive an email, ceilick? I'm trying to help someone get registered and he says you haven't emailed him back an activation email.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Pretty sad.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

What's the status of repairing this? It seems spam accounts have always had no trouble registering when humans can't haha. I assume there's been some rectification?
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

I don't know if there's anything we can do, short of moving to a new forum.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I can get behind that idea. And you know what, Flaose? You should be the one and only admin and leader of all the new board. You deserve it. :) I'll even pay for the site space if that's a requirement.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:I can get behind that idea. And you know what, Flaose? You should be the one and only admin and leader of all the new board. You deserve it. :) I'll even pay for the site space if that's a requirement.
I appreciate the support, though I am just as absent as the other admins these days. :)

The main thing is that I don't know what is required to host a message board, or if we would be able to transfer old posts/users to the new one (though I'm sure Andrew Durdin would be able to help in the regard, if asked). I wouldn't even be surprised if Malv would be okay with hosting the PCKF on his server.

We have a good place, but our forum software is now 10 years old and is somewhat broken behind the scenes. It would be good to move, but I have no idea what would be required to do so. I know that this comes up every once and a while, but perhaps it's time to start a new topic asking for thoughts and advice on the subject.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

If we do have an update, please also see if we can support https.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image