InsaLevs - collective Keen1 minimalism level pack

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Re: InsaLevs - collective Keen1 minimalism level pack

Post by Roobar »

shikadi wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 21:52When i look at how roobar played my level, i see that i always assume people can pogo from a running start (i always pogo that way), which makes my levels pretty much impossible if you can't do that properly, sorry. (now i hope my last mod, which wasn't supposed to be hard at all, is not to difficulty seeing i did not pay attention to that.)
Well, you should not worry about your mods. I think we all learn something from this competition. Me at least. Now that I've saw some plays I better understood the keen physics and what can be done. And now I do appreciate more the levels I didn't beat in my video. Keen 1 is not my primary focus. I only play Keen 1 when there's a new mod out and that's rare.

There's a big downside of this competition though. You're waiting for months and when it's finally out, the fun lasts for only 1-2 days. :no
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

proYorp wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 9:58There was talk about doing a second round... does anyone have the time and ability to direct it, and is planning to do so, or was it just talk? Maybe in a few months?
Start it now, deadline in a few months and it'll probably work out. Heck *I'll* direct it if need be. Things aren't too fast-paced around here. Maybe Keen 2 this time? Similar kind of restraints?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Levellass wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 15:27Similar kind of restraints?
Let's add a third tile type on top of the the solid block and fire. Let's get WILD baby! :crazy :lol
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

what about a mod title screens competition first?!
only red black and blue colours of course, to stick with the theme.
out now (link) : Image
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

I'm very interested in participating in another community levelpack. To me, they are a very good excuse to make a Keen level. Maybe we could do a different kind of minimalism competition. What about screen-sized levels (like what Xky1rooms did)?

Anyway, has anyone seen the level maps of this levelpack on KeenWiki yet? They somehow look rather cool in my eyes when they're zoomed out. I thought some of them looked as if the blue was the background and the black are the solids instead of the other way around.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Quillax wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 18:41Anyway, has anyone seen the level maps of this levelpack on KeenWiki yet?
Good that you mention it. I've looked at all the maps. Especially Fleex and Nisaba's maps. But you've missed the link: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/InsaLevs
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

ok, I'll make a start then. here's my proposal:

what do you guys think about it?!
Last edited by Nisaba on Mon Oct 22, 2018 23:00, edited 1 time in total.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

proYorp wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 9:58 So was my trying to remind everyone about the imminent deadline utterly pointless?
Actually. Thank you for that. Supreme laziness was settling in and I needed that rousing speech to help me out of it.

And thank you Quinton and Nisaba for the KeenWiki entry. The levels look amazing. :love

If there is to be a tile added to the current bunch, which would make for the best addition? A shelf? like this tile?

A false floor? A drop-through one-way tile? Slippery tile? Even a decorative background tile would be useful, like the stars in Nisaba's title screen (which I also love :love )
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

I suggest we use Keen 2 for the next level pack. If it's going to be a sequel for this pack, it only makes sense to use the sequel to Keen 1 :p

On a side note, after watching Fleexy's run, I realized you can skip half of my level in a way I did not foresee. I can't believe I was :dopefish enough to not see something as simple as that. Oh well, there's still extra challenge for you maniacs who want to complete it the hard way.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

troublesomekeen wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 21:19 [...] Even a decorative background tile would be useful, like the stars in Nisaba's title screen (which I also love :love )
thanks!
so I turned my mockup into a playable version, ready for you to download: InsaLevs plus new title screen download

@KeenRush what's your opinion on that?!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Nisaba wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 23:40@KeenRush what's your opinion on that?!
Assuming you're talking about the title screen, I think it looks really good. Thanks.

Good to see the wiki entry. I had yet not seen my level in full.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Nice title screen! Also, Nisaba, nice faces along the bottom of your level - I hadn't caught those in-game :)

Grimson: Heh, looking now at the map of your level, I'm not sure that I would have been able to complete it the intended way! :dead2 I'll have to try that soon. Removing the shortcut would just be a matter of inserting two wall tiles where I did my final jump down.

In the Next Collective Pack department, I was thinking about running a machine-assisted Keen 5 leveling competition. If people are fans of the minimalism thing (e.g. with Keen 2), I'd also be happy to do that. :) If the latter, I think it'd be good to involve one new tile type, since otherwise it would be effectively the same deal with slightly different graphics. I would suggest a jump-up-through platform tile.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Haven't gotten to try all the levels yet, but thanks for doing this everyone, especially Keenrush! I was actually surprised it took so long for people to figure out the top fire trick in my level. I was hoping my level would stop people from advancing until they figured it out, but I underestimated how good people are at doing tricky jumps to avoid using the invisible bottom.

I'd like to see a Keen 5 competition using your level generation tool Fleex. Maybe people would pick a nice looking random-generated level and try to polish it up to be interesting. But, that could be pretty broad and require people to learn more advanced Galaxy level editing, so maybe it'd be too much. If Keenrush is up for it, I'm also hoping we could see Project Stardust finished at some point.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Fleexy wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 1:51Removing the shortcut would just be a matter of inserting two wall tiles where I did my final jump down.
I know, but I'll refrain from editing the level unless someone else(s) would like to modify their respective levels too. I've already thought of a couple of things I could change, but knowing myself, I just might end up turning the level upside down :dopekeen
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

@troublesomekeen
You're welcome. Good to know I could help someone with that. :)

I think if we're going to use another tile, maybe it should replace one of the three we already have so as to not reduce the minimalism aspect. I wonder what that would be like to build a level with no blocks but one-way tiles... you wouldn't be able to block passage from any direction but up. Could make for an interesting design challenge.
Levellass wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 15:27 Start it now, deadline in a few months and it'll probably work out.
Actually, after observing this competition it looks like a good way to get people to do levels is to have the deadline a few weeks after the announcement, then when it's almost here and some people have done their "AAH! DEADLINE! QUICK! LEVEL!" submissions, extend it a bit. This would repeat until there is a sufficient amount of levels. But to keep people on their toes, it could be kept a secret whether it's the final deadline or not. :mortlol
And I agree, it should be Keen2 this time. (But wait a minute, do teleporters work in Keen2? I'm sure it's possible to patch, I think the tileinfo is there, but how easy would that be?)

Also, good work on the title screen, Nisaba. Perfectly minimalistic design. :)
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image